Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Pawn Shop Junkie !!!!

Question

I like buying "new" so don't get me wrong.

Sometimes Pawn Shops offer little treasures.

I purchased a 1978 Fender stratocaster for a very good rate at a pawn shop in Austin in the early '80's. Only to find out that the "Jimi Hendrix" autograph on a piece of envelope taped to the back of the guitar was worth a small fortune at a guitar trade show. I sold it 12 yrs. later for several thousand dollars. Originally only paid 225.00 for the strat way back when.

Not as big of a find yesterday, but still a find.

I purchased a "Skil" 4.5 amp belt sander in perfect shape and a large B&D vibrating sander. Both in very good to like new shape.

I didn't really need them. I just couldn't pass on the find.

35.00 total. They both work great. Another 20.00 in new belts and sheets for the sanders.

55.00 total.

It should help if I ever develop a case of the fuzzies.

( of course that rarely happens hehe.)

Pawn shops are cool, and you can find some great little hidden treasures sometimes.

Still searching for a drum walk behind sander.

Or.... the "lost Gibson Black Beauty"

I meant to say more gear for my business. .... yea, that's it, my business.

or a Gibson.......

Edited by Adrian

8 answers to this question

Adrian, there is a show on the History channel called Pawn Stars that is right up your alley. Have you seen it? I started watching it one night now I am addicted to it. People bring in everything from Super Bowl rings to Aztec statues and signed baseballs. Cool show.

Adrian, there is a show on the History channel called Pawn Stars that is right up your alley. Have you seen it? I started watching it one night now I am addicted to it. People bring in everything from Super Bowl rings to Aztec statues and signed baseballs. Cool show.

Yes I have seen it. I like it. Pretty cool stuff you can find sometimes.

Just don't tell anyone I'm stocking up on sanding gear.

They might think I sand or something like that.

I don't know sanding equipment very well, but these work great.

Should the case ever arise.

Edited by Adrian

Love that show. Never knew people actually pawned boats and planes. I like going to pawn shops also buts its getting harder and harder to find a really good deal. The pawn shop people are able to find the retail value of an item easily and they price it just a little bit under that. Its hard to find an item that they screwed up and did not know value and priced it low.

There are several near my house and I have looked inside a few times. Way too over priced for me. Really, for a few bucks more you could buy new.

There are several near my house and I have looked inside a few times. Way too over priced for me. Really, for a few bucks more you could buy new.

You gotta negotiate with these cats. Work out a deal.

I didn't want to buy new this particular day.

Refer to the first paragraph I posted about the Fender.

A $225.00 guitar with a piece of paper laminated to it, which yeilded several thousand dollars a few years later at a Guitar convention.

Can't get something like that at a retail store.

Of course you take chances with used equipment.

....just part of it.

Pawn shops are a great place to find:

• Things that contractors have sold when they are desperate for money, and can collect for a cheap price.
  • Things that have been stolen from your trucks or shops
  • Things that have been stolen from contractors job sites and other