Sign in to follow this  
RGilliam

Cabots Solid Stain

Question

We are getting ready to stain with cabots solid stain. Acrylic. The wood is in really bad shape. Got alot of it sanded down but it still has some swirl marks. Anyone know if they will show up really bad or will the solid stain fill it in somewhat? Thanks in advance.

post-5403-137772273939_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772274032_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772274124_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

....you mention that you sanded it, but was it washed? This deck is an ideal candidate for a light bleach bath. And I agree with Ken, do not put a solid on this - I would put a semi-trans oil on it that will not fail the same was a solid will. Much easier to maintain in the future too.

Beth :cup:

yea I cleaned it with a precarb. Thats the pictures before I done anything. The woods in pretty bad shape. Some of its splintered but he didn't want to replace anything! It's my friends deck and its at one of his rental propertys. We've already bought the stain.

If the ventilation underneath is poor, you can count on it peeling in 1-2 years. If its adequate, you just have to keep on top of maintenance. A solid will cover everything, so don't worry about sanding marks. Did you use a random orbital?

yea I used a orbital and I used 36 grit on certain parts. then went back over with 80 to try to smooth it out. The wood had some very deep scratches. The deck has good ventalation underneath it. Whats the best way to apply solid acrylic? Thanks,

... Whats the best way to apply solid acrylic? Thanks,

Ron,

The fastest and easiest method is with an airless sprayer, and back brushing with high quality synthetic brushes.

But on very small jobs, which may be this case from the pictures, just using the old dip, shake, and brush technique by hand may be the best method.

no, that was mold covering it. The guy said the deck was built in 1999. Never been cleaned or nothing. notta! I ended up just brushing the stain on. It came out looking pretty good. Especially compared to how it did look. It was a small deck. 10x12.