Sign in to follow this  
RGilliam

Second Deck, Wolmans Stain.

Question

This is the second deck I've done. First one, the guy wanted a solid stain. I used cabots on it. The home owner thought it came out looking great. I really enjoy doing this so I've been trying to learn all I can. I was thinking about trying to use wolmans F&P on this deck. Anyone got any input on that? Also where can I find some information about how to identify different types of wood. I've spent so many late nights reading on this forum but thats one things I couldn't find anything on. I'm still not really sure whats what. I'd really appreciatee any help. Thanks

post-5403-137772276117_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772276123_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772276127_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772276131_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772276137_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Rick and Ken can call out just about any wood species out there with just a glance.

Plus, your are right about not much info on identifying different species of wood.

Have you had a chance to try any RS yet?

Contact some of the vendors and get samples of dif products.

No, I havent had a chance to try RS. I was just going to stay with some local products intill next year. I always got alot of calls for decks and referred them to another contractor. We recently had a little disagreement and I figured I'd give it a shot myself. (and i need the xtra $ too, have a lil girl due Nov. 20th). Next year, I'm going to try RS. I kno alot of people on this forum use it so there must be something great about it.

Ron,

There is a book, Understanding Wood, by R. Bruce Hoadley, that is the "bible" for wood workers. Has a chapter on wood species ID with many pictures. A veritable ton of information, enough for a lifetime.

Go to a local lumberyard and see if they will give you scraps of various species of wood. Hardness, grain pattern, coloration, even smell can help you identify wood in the field.

Edited by RPetry

I was thinking about trying to use wolmans F&P on this deck. Anyone got any input on that? Thanks

F&P is a good product, I used it for a 2or3 years, now use primarily Armstrong-Clark. Drier wood I did a "wet" on "wet" application back brushed, newer & shade protected wood 1 wet coat backbrushed. Backwipe any "shiny" areas after 45 minutes, if applied in sun backwipe after 20 minutes if needed, hope this helps.

Edited by acegot

Also where can I find some information about how to identify different types of wood. I've spent so many late nights reading on this forum but thats one things I couldn't find anything on. I'm still not really sure whats what. I'd really appreciatee any help. Thanks
Ron,

Most species are easily identified, even if there's a stain over it. Just take a look at the underside of the deck. Pine will have long veins, widely spaced, and few knots. The knots in pine are generally elongated. Western red cedar has very few round knots, and lots of closely spaced veins. Redwood is pretty obvious (deep red color), but can appear as pine if weathered. (actually they are all from the conifer family). A simple fingernail scratch will tell you alot also. Cedar and redwood are softer, and will scratch easily with fingernail pressure. Pine is a softwood, but harder to scratch.Here's a couple of pics (sorry, I'm on the laptop and don't have any redwood pics on it):

[ATTACH]13293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13294[/ATTACH]

post-1053-137772276141_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772276245_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help. It's really appreciated. I just want to make sure I do a good job. I'm just now waiting for the rain to stop and do a little sanding and I should be ready to stain. It's been non stop rain here lately. Sheesh!

Hey Ron, I just noticed where your from. I live in Utica.

please go to "my controls" and complete your signature line. House rules.

Welcome to TGS.

Forecast for SNOW tonight here...:goodgrief

Wow. Booooooooooooooo on the snow.

For the most part ( except maybe 45 minutes in January) we can stain almost year round.

Maybe that is why there is such a rate fluxuation between North and south.

yea Utica is right up the road from me. I live right off 10st in Jeffersonville. Snow? Wow. Our problem is rain. Nonstop rain. Doesnt stop long enough for me to do anything. We've got flood warnings agian!