Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

Phone Estimate

What do you guys do when someone calls asking for an estimate?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys do when someone calls asking for an estimate?

• setup the estimate with them there
    • schedule a time to do the estimate, but leave the option to meet with them

Question

I have been working on a general script when someone calls for an estimate. During this phone conversation, i want to accomplish a few things. The first is to screen the customer to determine if they are a price shopper or someone who shops on quality and convenience. I would do this by telling them my average pricing for the selected service. If they scream, that saved me time and money in gas not going to do the estimate. If they don't scream, i can continue to screen them. Next, my goal is to schedule the estimates on a Friday so i can map them out to be as efficient as possible. I want to tell them that they don't have to be there, without flat out telling them they don't have to be there. If they say. "I’m not going to be there, Friday doesn't’t work for me", this basically means "i want to be there because i have no idea who you are", so i will try and setup the estimate for next Friday. If i struggle to setup a time to do the estimate with them after that point, this is telling me i really don't want to work with them either.

Like i said this is just a rough outline of what i was tinking of using. Have some small talk, but continue to get a feel for the customer and what they want done. Set their expectations on how my business works (email estimates, convenient because they don't have to be there, blah blah blah). If they are there Friday, i will just tell them i will email their estimate later that evening and continue to talk about the process, quality, and what ever else.

So tell me what you think of the pre-sceening verbiage.

The First Call For An Estimate

Hi this is Joe.

Hi this is Eric Hanley, um I was calling to see if you can give an estimate for a house wash?

Hi, yea we can give you an estimate on that. Just to give me a better idea of what we’re talking about here, can you tell me what’s going on with your siding.

Sure, there is a lot of mold/mildew on a couple sides, and some dirt and debris on the rest of the house.

Well, I can’t give you an exact estimate without seeing the siding just because there are a lot of variables; however, I can say the lowest you can expect is around $350 and usually it doesn't’t go any higher than $550 or so.

If you’re still interested, I can stop by and take a closer look this Friday, and send you the estimate later that evening.

I’m not going to be there, Friday doesn't work for me.

That’s ok. It isn’t critical that you are there, but if you’re more comfortable being there to discuss any questions or concerns, we could set up a time next Friday evening. Would this work for you?

Sure, I can set aside Friday evening.

Great, so what is the best number to reach you at?

715-781-5565

And the address where the work is to be done, and a name and e-mail address I can send the invoice too.

1687a west church rd star prairie, wi and lindbejb@uwec.edu

Alright, I just was wondering if you had the time to browse our website at all?

Yes, I did actually. I really like the before and after photo gallery. I also like all the information that is there.

The photo gallery is my favorite part too. Previous customers’ are really happy and surprised when I ask them if I can use their before and after pictures to add to my gallery. It is fun to watch someone’s house, roof, or deck transform so quickly.

Great, so I will see you Friday evening then. If you have any questions before then, you can reach me at 715-781-5565. Thank you and I hope you have a great day.

35 answers to this question

If you want to sell high end and high quality (ie:high price) you will be better served by meeting them in person and not mentioning price in the call at all.

When starting out it's better to not try to prescreen, you will learn more about selling and your customer base by meeting with everyone.

You'll end up with some who will waste your time and want a $99 wash but you'll also learn from these types too.

If you're trying to pre-qualify (and if you're new, don't! you need to see as many prospects as possible) then a simple "prices start at $x, depending on size and scope of job." Then, offer to come out and give an in-person estimate. Mention your website and be sure to bring your book of pics. (Not everyone has computer access.) Talk to your prospects the way you would want to be spoken to!

I'm not selling high price, my prices are right in the middle. Why is it important to see as many prospects as possible that don't fit the criteria?

My view on this is it will help to eliminate those who are not willing to pay what the job is worth i.e. price shoppers.

I know that some people want to meet and talk to the company during the estimate, but i know some that don't care and just want the numbers. It could go both ways. Me personally, i don't really know if i would care to be there if the estimate was for a house/concrete/patio wash. I would want to be there if the estimate was for a deck or fence restoration.

I know when we my parents have people to come out to do estimates, they are never home.

I just don't know what my business model is yet. This way makes sense to me and would be convient to the customer. If they want to meet in person, i clearly give them that option, but way force the issue if it isn't a big deal to them?

I like your script above. It is very similar to what I say to customers with the exception that if a customer will not meet with me, I do not want them as clients. I sell the experience of PressurePros at a premium. I want repeat business to eliminate marketing expense. You do that one customer at a time. I prequal people at this stage of my business because I can. that's not an arrogant statement, thats a payoff of hard work. In my first year,, if you called I was on your property within an hour. I have a long background in sales so that was effective for me. You cannot really skip steps.

You mention you are going to email estimates or leave proposals. Let me tell you how people operate. Skip page one of how great this company is. Skip page two and three that talks about insurance and superior technique and go right to page 4 last line where that price is listed. Remember this statement when you construct how you will do business.

If all you give someone is a price, that is the information upon which they will make their decision.

If I want a hole made in my door, I don't want literature telling me what saw you will use. I want you to convince me that you can make the hole while not inconveniencing me in any way. That is the core of selling.

People do not buy what they need, they buy what they want. They are not buying a deck restoration, they are buying a pretty deck that is safe for their kids and on which they can barbecue. Throw in increased property value.. benfits, benefits, benefits... and you will sell work at money above what everyone else is getting. Couple that with a budgeted marketing machine and yes, you can dominate your area.

Edited by PressurePros

I like your script above. It is very similar to what I say to customers with the exception that if a customer will not meet with me, I do not want them as clients. I sell the experience of PressurePros at a premium. I want repeat business to eliminate marketing expense. You do that one customer at a time. I prequal people at this stage of my business because I can. that's not an arrogant statement, thats a payoff of hard work. In my first year,, if you called I was on your property within an hour. I have a long background in sales so that was effective for me. You cannot really skip steps.

You mention you are going to email estimates or leave proposals. Let me tell you how people operate. Skip page one of how great this company is. Skip page two and three that talks about insurance and superior technique and go right to page 4 last line where that price is listed. Remember this statement when you construct how you will do business.

If all you give someone is a price, that is the information upon which they will make their decision.

If I want a hole made in my door, I don't want literature telling me what saw you will use. I want you to convince me that you can make the hole while not inconveniencing me in any way. That is the core of selling.

People do not buy what they need, they buy what they want. They are not buying a deck restoration, they are buying a pretty deck that is safe for their kids and on which they can barbecue. Throw in increased property value.. benfits, benefits, benefits... and you will sell work at money above what everyone else is getting. Couple that with a budgeted marketing machine and yes, you can dominate your area.

Listen to what Ken says!

Let me tell you how people operate. Skip page one of how great this company is. Skip page two and three that talks about insurance and superior technique and go right to page 4 last line where that price is listed.

That's why you should only give them a one page estimate. The rest of the selling should be done prior to giving them your price.

Joe, Ken is good at what he does, and has carved out a good business in wood restoration. His methods have a proven track record. He's generally regarded as "an expert" is the sales department. I would advise you to really listen to what he's telling you. Cutting corners isn't something new business should be looking at.

If they want to meet in person, i clearly give them that option, but way force the issue if it isn't a big deal to them?

I agree, but..... Only time will tell if you have the sales skills to sell your services to someone without meeting. It can be done successfully, as I am proof. Understand though, I have a strong customer base in place, and do LOTS of repeat business. I worked hard to get, and keep these customers. The real key to success in this field is retaining customers, not finding new ones.

Ken,

I like what you are saying and agree with it 100%. So what do you say when it comes to scheduling the estimate? Do you say i'll be there friday or does friday evening around 6 work for you?

The way i have my business model setup is to asume they want convience for the original estimate, then give them the sell (beautiful deck to barbaque on, safe for kids, hot spot for the summer) on the followup call after they recieved the estimate via email.

If they want to meet in person for the original estimate, i have that option built in, but i would do the selling there and on the follow-up call.

I am sure i will meet with every customer to start out with, because i am sure i wont be busy enough to just keep estimates for a friday.

You said your script was similar to mine, so where does your deviate from mine?

The thing that i really want to know is do you require that they are there for the estimate, or do you leave it open like i was planning on doing?

Thanks

The way i have my business model setup is to asume they want convience for the original estimate, then give them the sell (beautiful deck to barbaque on, safe for kids, hot spot for the summer) on the followup call after they recieved the estimate via email.

Joe, it's easier to have them be acceptable to a higher price if you do just the opposite. Besides, it will give you a feel for what type of customer they are ie; price shopper vs. quality and service

I like to meet the customer, regardless.

I think a smile, professional appearance, and a handshake, are golden on getting the job.

I prefer to walk around the house with the customer before and after.

I have sold jobs though completely through the Internet and phone never meeting the customer.

I take before and after pics and send them as an attachment in an e-mail.

Ken,

I like what you are saying and agree with it 100%. So what do you say when it comes to scheduling the estimate? Do you say i'll be there friday or does friday evening around 6 work for you?

I set my appointments for the weekend when I know people have a higher chance of being around. On the phone I tell them that I like to meet them to discuss their project and make sure we are on the same page. In a perfect world both my potential customers and I would coincide perfectly with scheduling. of course it does not work that way. I have maybe 15% of my customer base that has never laid eyes on me. Most of those were referrals but some people just do not require the interaction and have laid the trust in my marketing, website and written presentation. I will tell you though that my closing rate is far lower with that type of prospect.

If they want to meet in person for the original estimate, i have that option built in, but i would do the selling there and on the follow-up call.

I am sure i will meet with every customer to start out with, because i am sure i wont be busy enough to just keep estimates for a friday.

You said your script was similar to mine, so where does your deviate from mine?

The thing that i really want to know is do you require that they are there for the estimate, or do you leave it open like i was planning on doing?

Thanks

You are correct to assume a customer wants hassle free convenience. I believe it better to offer them that after the sale. I take no deposits. Just leave a check in your door on the morning of service and when you return, your property will be transformed. After were done you'll get a follow up thank you, be introduced to our referral program, and be reminded when services are due. We'll also put you on our newsletter mailing list to let you know what's new with PressurePros and alert you to specials we are running. You no longer have to worry about the headache of exterior cleaning and maintenance.

I cannot give you a verbatim deviation from your script because I do not use scripts. They are good in the beginning until you start to get a feel for reading between the lines with potential customers. The main thing I do is ask the right questions and listen to what the person is telling me. I cannot infuse that into you, you have to develop it over time.

I set my appointments for the weekend when I know people have a higher chance of being around. On the phone I tell them that I like to meet them to discuss their project and make sure we are on the same page. In a perfect world both my potential customers and I would coincide perfectly with scheduling. of course it does not work that way. I have maybe 15% of my customer base that has never laid eyes on me. Most of those were referrals but some people just do not require the interaction and have laid the trust in my marketing, website and written presentation. I will tell you though that my closing rate is far lower with that type of prospect.

You are correct to assume a customer wants hassle free convenience. I believe it better to offer them that after the sale. I take no deposits. Just leave a check in your door on the morning of service and when you return, your property will be transformed. After were done you'll get a follow up thank you, be introduced to our referral program, and be reminded when services are due. We'll also put you on our newsletter mailing list to let you know what's new with PressurePros and alert you to specials we are running. You no longer have to worry about the headache of exterior cleaning and maintenance.

I cannot give you a verbatim deviation from your script because I do not use scripts. They are good in the beginning until you start to get a feel for reading between the lines with potential customers. The main thing I do is ask the right questions and listen to what the person is telling me. I cannot infuse that into you, you have to develop it over time.

I am going to use this advice, it sounds so professional and efficient. I like it!

I think it is all good advise and for anyone new you should go look at every job. But the other way works well if you are busy and need to screen or book the job that day. I have been doing it a long time and think that most decks you should go and look at because they do have a lot of different ways to clean and seal. We do a lot of houses and I would say about 80-85 percent I would book over the phone. Ask what kind of house is it a rancher, 2 story col. split 3 story back and what kind of siding. Larger stucco I will go out and look at and most roofs but a 2 story colonial around 2500 sq feet or 3200 sq ft. it should be a general price.

So it goes like this

Hello, Rolling Suds

Hello, I would like to get my house cleaned

Yes can I get some info, name Ect.

Sorry hit the wrong buttons and it sent it. I will try again

Hello, Rolling Suds

Hello, I would like to get my house cleaned

Yes can I get some info, name #

Then ask them what kind of house is it

Then ask them what kind of siding

then I tell them how great we are and that we have been doing it for 20 years and I know what neighbor hood they live in and we have a standard price for their house.

Then I tell them we can come out meet with you and go over everything and do the job that day.

I agree both ways are good and if you can go out and meet with them then do it but if you look at it from the other side it is nice to book them over the phone and I tell them that we can both save with me only making 1 trip. They also will not even call another guy a lot of times if i book them. Then when you meet them and you want them home when doing the job, you can try for extra work. I'm not saying that my way is better but it works also.

I will only meet with them for wood restoration. I want to have my stripper and brightner in some spray bottle to do a demo right there for a number of reasons. It will help me decide how hard it will be to strip the deck, and it gives the customer the awe factor that i can do this without a pressure washer/ high pressure.

The First Call For An Estimate

Hello this is Joe.

Hi this is Eric Hanley, um I was calling to see if you can give an estimate for a house wash?

Hi Eric, yea we can give you an estimate on that. Just to give me a better idea of what we’re talking about here, can you tell me what’s going on with your siding.

Sure, there is a lot of mold/mildew on a couple sides, and some dirt and debris on the rest of the house.

It is hard to give an exact number without seeing the siding due to every house being different, but pricing starts at $350, depending on size and scope of the job.

If you’re still interested, I’d like to meet this Saturday and discuss your project to make sure we are on the same page.

Ok, so I have to be there?

It isn’t critical that you are there, but it is nice to have someone there to answer questions as well as discuss the scope of work for the project. But like I said, it isn’t critical, and if it is more convenient for you to just have me stop by, we can go that route.

Sure, I can set aside Friday evening.

Great, so what is the best number to reach you at?

715-781-5565

And the address where the work is to be done, and a name and e-mail address I can send the invoice too.

1687a west church rd star prairie, wi and lindbejb@uwec.edu

Alright, I just was wondering if you had the time to browse our website at all?

Yes, I did actually. I really like the before and after photo gallery. I also like all the information that is there.

The photo gallery is my favorite part too. Previous customers’ are really happy and surprised when I ask them if I can use their before and after pictures to add to my gallery. It is fun to watch someone’s house, roof, or deck transform so quickly.

Great, so I will see you Saturday then. If you have any questions before then, you can reach me at 715-781-5565. Thank you and have a great day.

During the Estimate

I take no up-front deposits. Just leave a check in your door on the morning of service and when you return, your property will be transformed. After we’re done, you'll get a follow up thank you, be introduced to our referral program, and be reminded when services are due. We'll also put you on our newsletter mailing list to let you know what's new with PowerWash Solutions and alert you to specials we are running. You no longer have to worry about the headache of exterior cleaning and maintenance.

The Follow up Call

Mr. Smith, Joe Lindberg, PowerWash Solutions. I just wanted to give you a courtesy call and see if you had any questions I could answer for you".

"Hi Joe, I'm actually glad you called…”

Check in door- Ive had customers hide the check there. I call them when Im done and they tell me where they hid it. (customers are so easy to figure out...either inside the gas grill or under a flower pot!!!)

Referal program- This I must know more about! (can I call you?)

Reminded when services are due- I could use this for gutter cleaning!(been trying to find time to put together an annual contract)

Newsletter mailing list- I been thinking something similiar to this. Like a whats new with Gutterdogs kinda thing. I was thinking rss feed, instead of mailing them out?

Edited by gutterdog

I have found that you have to ask for referrals if you want them to really take off. I used to do a bangup, perfect job and then run home and wait by the phone. After a couple years of that I figured out that people need to be coaxed. A referral program is simply a reward or incentive to give out my company name. Base the giveaway on your own customer acquisition cost.

I still hard copy/snail mail my newsletter. Why do I waste the postage and print expense? The main reason is that a hard copy sits on a table or in a bathroom. Once an email is clicked closed, its history. Also in 2010 I am selling ad space for reputable contractors in my area to offset my expenses. These will be high end, proven and reputable contractors in various trades.

On the thank you letter I introduce them to the program. When I am on a jobsite I also tell them about it. I keep my name in front of customers so I get a bunch of opportunities to remind them. I give $35 cash Visa cards for every referral that turns into work.

so do you just mention that you have a referral program and some of the benefits if they choose to continue to use your services, basically sign on for the maintenance program (like discounted services for every referral kind of thing)?