Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Weird ipe'

Question

This is strange, have never seen this. One single 5/4x6 board on a fairly large ipe' job will just not hold pigment.

The stain is penetrating fine, put a 2nd application of RS light brown on the "white" area. Initially, the pigment is on the surface, paraffin oil soaks in, and the color looks fine. Come back the next day, and its "white" again.

Where does the pigment go? There is something very "off" on this particular board, certainly the cut of wood itself. Does anyone have an idea of the physical characteristics of the wood that would cause this anomaly?

post-170-137772276577_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Rick the similar thing is happening to a couple boards on my pressure treated with timberoil. Afterwards when I stripped it - I noticed that the natural color is 10x lighter than the surrounding wood - I think the pigment is just soaking in and out of view.

Jim - that's just gross

Ricky, the white coming out of a hardwoody is like the sap coming out of a softwoody.

Hah! Hope children do not read this board!

Rick the similar thing is happening to a couple boards on my pressure treated with timberoil. Afterwards when I stripped it - I noticed that the natural color is 10x lighter than the surrounding wood - I think the pigment is just soaking in and out of view.

Jim - that's just gross

Daniel,

I have never seen anything close to this with any wood, PT, mahogany, cedar, redwood etc. It is not "sappy" to the touch, and the white area of the ipe' feels as hard and dense as normal ipe'. We have serviced a lot of ipe', particularly this season, and I have never seen anything like this.

Its difficult to imagine any pigment "soaking" into ipe'. One thought is that this particular tree had some kind of disease that affected some of the wood.

Beth,

We didn't build this deck, just maintaining it. The customer did not say a peep, so I guess it is not an issue with him. I'm just a bit more than curious as to the "why?".

Edited by RPetry

Gee, your minds are in the gutter! The white is like sap in soft woods. Have encountered many times. In hardwoods it's not gooey it's white and powdery

Edited by James