Sign in to follow this  
John T

Gutters before and after pictures.

Question

19 answers to this question

I've used both gutter zap and gutter shock, and both products will produce results like that.

Great job John, now that's the way I like to see em! I wouldn't even consider washing a house and not doing the gutters.

I have not used either of them. I am currently using Ripper from Envirospec, but I am not very happy with its performance. After I finish with what I have left, I think I will try the Gutter Shock.

I am using GZ because it is locally distributed. I use it straight. I put just enough in a 5 gallon bucket to cover the bottom. Most of the time i only have to run the brush over the gutter with little force. Two stories I may have to apply twice. If you keep the brush wet the easier it is. I have only had one house where the finish came off the gutter and that was because the gutters where filthy and I was scrubbing to hard. As long as the bush is not dripping alot I have not experience any plants being harmed or the finish on houses. I also use it for hard to clean areas on the house. Storm doors, garage molding, facial boards ect. The key is to rinse quickly after appling do not let it dry or dwell.

Ditto to what Rodney said above. The Chemical I use is Miracle Wiz from Hotsy that my local distributer sells for around $48 for 5 gal. in liquid form.

Also like Tony said I won't consider cleaning a house without cleaning the external part of the gutters and also shutters. This is noted on all of my estimate sheets.

My local distributer sells Miracle wiz as a gutter cleaner. IT comes in liquid form and you just put a little of it in a 5 gallon bucket then dip in your brush and wipe it on the gutters. This is after you wet the gutters first. Don't let the cleaner dry on the gutters. Then just rinse off the gutters and see the difference.

I believe Miracle Wiz is basically a stripper which leads me to think that HD-80 could also be used as a gutter cleaner when mixed at a lower rate then usual.

I use Purple Power...it is a butyl based cleaner, but you have to be careful and not let it dwell for too long...it'll take the paint off the gutters.

I was at a retail chain store today picking up a connector and to my supprise I saw GZ on the self along with another chemical that I want mention by name that the same supplier offers. This supplier also makes xjets and it is also at the retail store. I am not sure how I feel about commercial suppliers letting a retail store sale their product. I guess its all about money. That would be like getting ecf-38 or wood tux at walmart. Just doesn't sound right.

Its all about the money. Hell, if that supplier can market to homeowners rather than contractors, he'd probably make a lot more money.

I'm not too worried about it. There are do-it-yourselfers, and there are those who hire it done. All this is doing is making it easier for the do-it-yourselfer. Most of them wouldn't hire you or I with or without the Xjet or gutterzap.

I'm not crazy about the idea, but I really don't see it as affecting my bottom line. I do have a hell of a lot more respect for suppliers who respect our industry than I do for those who don't. That's one reason I use Gutter Shock rather than Gutter Zap, and ReadySeal rather than their product.

I've heard the Xjet is selling at either Lowes or Home Depot...was it one of those stores where you saw these products?

Who distributes gutter shock and gutterzap? Would this chemical work on a warehouse building that is painted aluminum? I have a post under flatwork and buildings please check out the pics and let me know. Anyone please!

Gutter Shock and Gutter Zap both contain 1% or less Sodium Hydroxide.

AllBrite sold by SunBrite Supplies is a Butyl based cleaner that does not contain Sodium Hydroxide. The cost is about $23 for 5 gallons (plus S&H).