Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Hawk pics

Question

Just finished up and was taking a couple of pictures when about 15 yards away I saw something our of the corner of my eye and heard a couple of birds screaming bloody murder. The hawk snatched the bird out of mid air and number on him. He wasn't about to let him go so I was able to get about 10-15ft before he would pick him up and move a little.

post-3028-137772288316_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772288328_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772288337_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772288347_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772288357_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

I had something like that happen one time. We leave the back door open when we have a dog, while someone is home. One day, I was sitting in the office, talking on the phone to a customer. All of the sudden, I hear a huge commotion in living room with our teacup yorkie yipping and barking. I finally get off the phone, and he was going absolutely nuts.

I looked around, and we have a clerestory window in our kitchen. The dog was looking up there so I did, too. There sitting on the ledge was a hawk. He had to have flown in through the back door. I actually went out to my truck, and got my leather gloves. I got on up to the window, talking calmly, and the hawk just sat there. I actually reached up, and wrapping his body and his wings, I picked him up, and took him outside.

I called my wife, and told her the whole story, then had a job to do that was going to take the rest of the day. About three hours later, I get a call. "I thought you got rid of that damn bird."

I assured her that I did, then she told me that there was a bird on the kitchen window ledge. She pushed out the screen to let the bird out, and called me.

The way I figure it, the hawk was chasing the bird, and the bird ducked into the house to get away. I was so fascinated by the hawk, as was my dog, I did not even notice the bird that was hiding somewhere in the house.

Here is a Hawk with his prey that I saw a couple of years ago when my wife (gf at the time) and I were running an errand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reR3Av7cURQ]YouTube- Hawk with squirrel in Bryant, AR[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke_gmrf1b9s]YouTube- Hawk across from Ashley Park in Bryant, AR (2)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPU3aGuEhs]YouTube- Hawk across from Ashley Park in Bryant, AR (3)[/ame]

I hope these links work. Previewed the post and they work.

Stay safe and hydrated,

Chuck

Those Red Tailed Hawks really are amazing raptors! Those critters weigh an honest 4 lbs. And for birds that's alot of weight.

I didn't know you had Red Tails so far South in Arkansas - I thought they were a New England Hawk.

I didn't know you had Red Tails so far South in Arkansas - I thought they were a New England Hawk.

I couldn't say how far south/east/west they go, but they are getting to be a more common sight all the time. There is one that is on the hunt around the neighborhood where our office is all the time. "She" had two little ones with her during the spring.

Stay safe and hydrated,

Chuck

Those are cool pics. I have seen them, (we call them Coopers hawks) go after my wifes chickens. Our rooster does his job well though.

Here is a neat link to NYC's most famous of all Red Tails

Pale Male - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are you calling a Cooper's hawk - the first set of photos, or the video?

And then to finish him off. I know, not as touching as the Home Run video but CLOSE!

Tony

Excellent pictures - great you had a nice camera with you too - I all too often see something and have to tell and not show what I saw...

Rob

Redtails are a common hawk. I think they winter in Mexico and Central America.

Several years ago we were headed to deer camp, I was in the Bronco and Dee was in her Datsun pick-up. I was in the lead and spotted a redtail in ssky. It had something in its claws, that it dropped. by that time I had pulled over to watch, as had Dee. Another redtail, a female swooped in and grabbed the animal. The female rose into the sky and dropped the animal. The male swooped and grabbed it. we watched the pair play for some time, before they left, with dinner.

Another time, we were hunting and spotted some does along the road side. I pulled over and Dee got out to follow the does. I waited for her return and spotted a rabbit and a hawk. The hawk was following the rabbit, the rabbit was the prey, and doing its best to outrun the hawk. the rabbit made a hard 90 and the hawk overflew the rabbit. I thought the rabbit was safe when another hawk came swooping down and took up hte chase. The hawks worked that rabbit, one hawk would be down low and the other was stationed up higher. When the rabbit dodeged, the upper hawk took up the chase. Finally the prey got away. After a bit, Dee came back, her prey had also escaped. But while we had dinner at camp, the hawks went hungry.