Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

last deck of my season

Question

This is the deck in the Bahamas I did maintenance on last week.

Wood Tux cleaned with EFC38 then re sealed with wood tux. I sanded most boards to try to even out the look, and I added just a little tint to it this time.

post-4622-137772292086_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772292105_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772292126_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772292145_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772292164_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Oh yeah, Its about to snow here in pinellas, so I wont have another deck until at least January 1st.

Yeah, I know Im rubbing it in, but I cant help myself!:lildevil:

Jon,

Looks terrific. That has got to be the best customer/job ever posted here on TGS. You can just about hear the waves lapping on the sand, and a warm breeze flowing off the water. A beachfront home in the Bahamas is a paradise compared to Dec. in NJ.

Looks awesome, Jon, quick couple of questions for ya. Now since you have had some maintenance work experience with woodtux - what are your thoughts on the product? Do see yourself continuing to use woodtux for future newer projects? How old was this job at the time you re-sealed it? And did you sand the boards down before or after the efc-38 cleaning? I really like the look how it came out. Wish I was there - must be nice.

Dan,

Im still out on WT. The application is iffy as I still get the shiny spots in IPE and PT wood. I dont get any of that with AC no matter how much I apply.

After the EFC cleaning, I sanded every board with a RO sander with 60 Grit and then with a pole sander, and still got shiny spots and uneven penetration (see pic below.) I went sparingly with application,only using aprox 5 gallons on over 3000sf, and dry padded it before dry.

The other problem was mildew spots. Only a couple in very shady areas, but as bad as the last PT Deck was with mildew I was really concerned and hit them heavy with EFC, no access to bleach there.

Ive got some sample board with Ready seal to see how they look after a year and Im not sure I will use WT again on it. Im going to talk to some of the IPE experts and see if there is any thing I should do differently before I decide.

post-4622-137772293732_thumb.jpg