Sign in to follow this  
acegot

IPE' Deterioration

Question

These photos of a deck I worked on a month ago. THIS IS WHY HARDWOODS SHOULD BE MAINTAINED (sealed) & THE END CUTS WAXED(sealed)icon4.gif Don't know how old the deck is, but it had 2 or 3 coats of something on it for 3 or so years.

post-1457-137772292435_thumb.jpg

post-1457-137772292506_thumb.jpg

27 answers to this question

That deck is 2 year old IPE. It is sealed with WTW WHGold. I'm supposed to sand it this spring when I redo it. They didnt want to spend the money for sanding this year. Thats the 2nd IPE deck Ive seen out here that the board color is all over the place. (dark to light) Ipe is usually med. to dark boards, not real light like "sap" wood. The coloring of that deck looks more like the Cumuru deck. I think were getting all the IPE seconds out here, if there is such a thing.

Gotta go to work, later all!

That's why I thought it was Garapa. It had a strong yellow tint. It was the Wood Tux!

All species look the same after cleaning. The lighter the color in the hard wood category the lest resistant it is to decay. This is very prevalent in the Mahogany species. That is one of the reasons for the Kerf on the bottom of Mahog. It rots at the joist intersection and the Kerf lets it dry out. I had a bunch of 8 year old Mahog rot out from the bottom up this year.

Ipe specie is still different with the light colors. I have seen no degradation in a deck I take care of thats 20years or older, no sealed ends, on the ground in most areas and about 4000sqft of it. I also stopped sealing it a few years ago. I just clean it and buff now !!