Sign in to follow this  
99monguse

Help with chemicals for vinyl siding

I have powerwashed my home several times but I think I'm not being very efficient. I have read a lot of posts about guys washing an entire home in like a hour or two and using VERY low pressure. When I do my jhome I just buy a gallon or two of the siding wash from the bigbox stores, mix it up according to the directions, place the syphon hose into the bucket, apply the detergent to the siding using my CRaftsman (residential 2000psi) powerwasher, let it sit about 10-15 minutes (just in the 10x10ft area I'm working on at a time), and blast it off using a fan style spray pattern. More often then not I find myself having to use a scrub brush then then powerwash; this takes like all day.

Yet I read posts about guys who apply their chemical the let it sit a few minutes then rinse off with like 100psi hose and they're done...WTF!

What are you using and how are you doing this?

I want to buy a PressureTek 3500psi cold powerwasher and flatsurface clean(for my driveway). I have also read that using high-psi isn't good for siding either but I don't know how else to do it.

I am certainly not going into business doing this, but I want to be able to do my own home and my friends/families or if someone asks me to do their home I may consider it. I have a commercial cleaning business and i do windows as well and being able to properlly powerwash may be very helpful..some of the jobs exterior windows are VERY filthy.

Thanks

If you want different advice, follow the rules of the board. Fill out your signature so people know who you are. Don't expect people to just hand over info they have worked hard to obtain to someone who claims they are going to spend thousands of dollars in equipment just to clean his own house and his friends. There are answers to all of your questions on this board if you take a few minutes to search for them. My "useable" info would serve you well if you follow it.

To be honest we are liabel for advice given, I would imagine that you wouldnt call an electrician and get him to tell you how to wire a home or get a mechanic to tell you how to build an engine. My point is that we are professionals and that is what we do, these boards are for contractors to discuss methods and talk shop, we do appreciate you being honest about who you are but should we give you advice and you kill all you bedding because you didnt have the proper tool or worse yet tell you to use a chem that could harm you or your family then we would be to blame. I hope you understand.

However if you use the search button you may find the info you seek.

If you want different advice, follow the rules of the board. Fill out your signature so people know who you are. Don't expect people to just hand over info they have worked hard to obtain to someone who claims they are going to spend thousands of dollars in equipment just to clean his own house and his friends. There are answers to all of your questions on this board if you take a few minutes to search for them. My "useable" info would serve you well if you follow it.

Right now I use a Craftsman powerwasher...do you really think I am going to go to a forum for information to start a business. I am asking be caused right now is use a 10 yr old CRAFTSMAN 2000psi P.O.S. powerwasher that doesn't clean for @#$% and standard vinyl siding/driveway cleaner. YES, I do clean MY own driveway. I certainly don't need to spend $500.00 each time for someone to come to my house and knock it out in a hour, not to mention my in-laws, my parents and grandparents.

This forum is for DIYers to ask PROS questions...."DIY'ers - Ask The Pro's This forums is strictly for homeowner DIY questions, or for homeowners looking for contractors. Please read the sticky in this forum for guidelines" or so is says at the top of the screen.

Don't worry I don't want your business, I just want to know how to make my saturday home chores not take all damn day. Maybe you shouldn't be on the forum if you don't like helping people.

Heres my Signature since for whatever reason it didn't shpow up when I registered:

BRIAN A FLICK

6210 MEADOWBROOK DRIVE (right of Lakeshore blvd, across from DQ)

MENTOR, OHIO 44060

you want my phone number too????

BAF CLEANING-I have a sideline office cleaning business, where I clean offices and windows.

You stated that you were looking at buying a pressure tek machine and surface cleaner and that you already do windows and have a commercial cleaning business. That does not look like someone who is a do it yourselfer looking to was his own home.

12.5 sodioum hypoclorite and barlox.

In my area you should be able to get your driveway done for about $95 and your house for $150. That's a lot better than $500. Remember, you get more flies with honey and less cussing.

..do you really think I am going to go to a forum for information to start a business.

BAF CLEANING-I have a sideline office cleaning business, where I clean offices and windows.

Please understand - some of what you have said is insulting and some is mildly suspicious to us.

Why would this guy be willing to buy a pressuretek machine for $3500+ and not willing to hire a professional to wash his home? I kind of think with some homeowners - the reasons for not hiring a professional go way beyond saving money and more to do with resentment of putting money into someone else's pocket - even though if they look at the whole picture, it's cheaper to hire a professional than the lifecycle of owning their own machine and maintaining it and the amount of time doing it themselves.

I have absolutely no intention of starting a business.I couldn't imagine doing this stuff for a living. I don't know how you all do it. I am just trying to prevent myself from spending my entire saturday powerwashing. I work on Sunday mornings cleaning the two office buildings and I do their windows once a month.

I was on the www.lawnsite.com because I needed a new lawnmower; I ended up buying a Toro SUPERRECYLER based on some of the members reviews. A member also directed me to this site, and told me I'd be better off asking you guys about chemical. Have you ever cleaned a driveway that is single wide for 50yds and then goes to double wide for about 40ft and has a parking pad/turnaround...with a 2000 PSI CRAFTSMAN powerwasher with a WAND? Let me tell you that is not the way I will EVER spend 6hrs again! I clean my drive, my parents, both sets of in-laws(divorced) and two set of in-law grandparents; I need a quality machine, that will do the job and do it well. Why should I go buy a P.O.S. powerwasher at Home Depot or Lowes, when I can spen what, $200-$500 more and get a good one? I have to get a surface cleaner and Bob @ PressureTEK was recommended to me from lawnsite.com ; might as well as get the washer there too, right?

Look guys I don't want to step on anyones toes here...I am just trying to make my life easier. I have enough of a honey-to-do-list from my wife, I'm just looking for a way to make some of it quicker.

Woah woah woah...$3500.00, are you nuts? I was looking at a $1200.00 machine and a $600.00 surface cleaner. It certainly would be MUCH cheaper for me to do the work myself. How about this, you come out to here and do: my driveway- 8 car drive and walkways, my parents-8 car driveway and walkways, inlaws-4 car drive and turnarounx2, 1 set of in-law grandparents drive way that is at least 50yds single width then goes go double wide for 40ft and has a double wide parking pad and has walkways, and one more set of in-law grandparents driveway that is 40yds long double wide and has walkways...all of this for about $2000.00. AND do it a couple times a year, oh and I forgot, cleaning my vinyl siding at least once a year...and the misc cleaning the powerwashers can be used for around the home. :) If you can do all that for $2000.00 thewn yeah it would be A LOT cheaper for me to have you come do it!

Edited by 99monguse

To be honest we are liabel for advice given, I would imagine that you wouldnt call an electrician and get him to tell you how to wire a home or get a mechanic to tell you how to build an engine. My point is that we are professionals and that is what we do, these boards are for contractors to discuss methods and talk shop, we do appreciate you being honest about who you are but should we give you advice and you kill all you bedding because you didnt have the proper tool or worse yet tell you to use a chem that could harm you or your family then we would be to blame. I hope you understand.

However if you use the search button you may find the info you seek.

I understand where you're coming from but doesn't the top of the forum say"

DIY'ers - Ask The Pro's This forums is strictly for homeowner DIY questions, or for homeowners looking for contractors. Please read the sticky in this forum for guidelines."

Where does it say that I the home owner can't or shouldn't be asking any questions? My full-time job is a Mercedes/Volvo/GM parts sales advisor...and I get calls all day long of people asking for advice and if i can help them I do, if I can't I direct them to someone who can help them.

Heres is the unit I was looking into: Lightweight Aircraft Grade Aluminum Frame EZ-View Sight Glass No Welds to Crack, Break, or Fail General Belt Drive Pump, ( 3 V-Belts ) Gen. Pulsar Modular Unloader with EZ Start Valve 4GPM @ 4000 PSI, 13 HP Honda Engine 50' High Pressure Hose with QC

and the surface cleaner:

http://www.pressuretek.com/classic.html

This stuff is far from commercial equiptment.

Edited by 99monguse

Hey Brian. If you are going to get those items from Pressure Tek, talk to Bob. He is the owner and one of the most respected guys in our industry.

You are right around the corner from him. He's in Cleveland.

I was shocked when I saw his location on his site the first time. That was one of my MAIN concerns..1st-getting a quality washer/cleaner and 2nd having a local vendor in case of any issues. I bought stuff over the internet before, like everyone else and or course when theres a problem, now you've got shipping involved and we all know how that is:( If it manages to get where its suppose to go, and be on time AND be intact...now thats a miracle. I try to stay away from OPPS...I mean UPS.as much as possible.

Hi Brian

I don't think anyone here is threatened by you; most of us have been in business for a long time and have a great client base. To answer any of you cleaning questions just use the "search" option and you'll get more information you could ask for. If you want to do the work part time there's a few bucks to be made in it. If you want to do it full time do your homework and you'll be able to do the job right, make a good name for yourself and make a few more dollars at it. Either way there's plenty of work for all of us out there. Best of luck to you.

By the way, where in Ohio do you live? I used to live in Steubenville for 3 years. That's where I went to college. (Got out early).

I have powerwashed my home several times but I think I'm not being very efficient. I have read a lot of posts about guys washing an entire home in like a hour or two and using VERY low pressure. When I do my jhome I just buy a gallon or two of the siding wash from the bigbox stores, mix it up according to the directions, place the syphon hose into the bucket, apply the detergent to the siding using my CRaftsman (residential 2000psi) powerwasher, let it sit about 10-15 minutes (just in the 10x10ft area I'm working on at a time), and blast it off using a fan style spray pattern. More often then not I find myself having to use a scrub brush then then powerwash; this takes like all day.

Yet I read posts about guys who apply their chemical the let it sit a few minutes then rinse off with like 100psi hose and they're done...WTF!

I want to buy a PressureTek 3500psi cold powerwasher and flatsurface clean(for my driveway). I have also read that using high-psi isn't good for siding either but I don't know how else to do it.

I am certainly not going into business doing this, but I want to be able to do my own home and my friends/families or if someone asks me to do their home I may consider it. I have a commercial cleaning business and i do windows as well and being able to properlly powerwash may be very helpful..some of the jobs exterior windows are VERY filthy.

Thanks

There are some true professionals on this site and you have been addressed by some of the best. Not having your signature on your post causes problems. You fixed that. You will need a pressure washer, a downstream injector that can pull your chems through at least 150' of hose. and the proper tips for your machine. You mentioned Bob, good move. If you are going to do anybody else's house other than your's you should consider insurance. Good luck.

No way do I want to do this stuff for money..its just too dangerous for a non-professional. As far as washing siding, my home is the only one I want to wash. I won't take the risk of doing someone elses. The driveways I will be doing the ones I listed and my neighbors.

I can understand why you guys would be a bit secretive...I would be the same way if someone started asking me questions about how I clean windows and such and then came out with his own fly-by-night business and then under-cut your quotes because he doesn't have your overhead and all that...ask me how I know about that sh%t! I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry.

Thanks

Hey, 99monguse

Do you mind if I use this?

Thanks!

Hey, 99monguse

Do you mind if I use this?

Thanks!

No problem...I figured you PRO guys would find that funny...but for us DIYers, thats life. I started my sideline cleaning business, as far as windows goes, simply because I was looking for a more efficient way to do my home windows. Once I got my toold and supplies and became really good at it, I figured I'd ask the offices if they were interested.

There is just simply too much risk in powerwashing as a profession, at least for me. Knocking out a driveway or two is one thing but houses and doing it for money...no thanks. I will leave that up to those who know what they're doing. When I will be doing my family's driveways, most likey I will just be using water; if theres a stain then I'll use detergent.

CarolinaProWash- I'm sure you do have expensive tools...you should, that's how you put food on the table. I pick and choose my window cleaning clients as to the most efiicient and profitable buildings...because I have such high-profitable accounts, I am able to do what I enjoy; helping elderly homeowners. My wifes grandparents have a lot of friends that are widowers and even some that are still married but are simply too old to be cleaning windows and such; so I set-up appointments with them and I do their windows for free, three times a year. These people are on very tight budgets with their limited incomes and I take great pride in being able to help out. My neighbor is 91yrs old and has been a widow for 20yrs..her children all live out of state and I take care of her lawn, snowblow her driveway and clean her windows for her, no charge at all. Doing that makes me feel good. I have taught my son how to do windows and he has a few homes in the neighborhood of elderly folks that he does no charge too.

I have no intention of hurting anyone's business...thank you for helping me out.

Hi Brian

I don't think anyone here is threatened by you; most of us have been in business for a long time and have a great client base. To answer any of you cleaning questions just use the "search" option and you'll get more information you could ask for. If you want to do the work part time there's a few bucks to be made in it. If you want to do it full time do your homework and you'll be able to do the job right, make a good name for yourself and make a few more dollars at it. Either way there's plenty of work for all of us out there. Best of luck to you.

By the way, where in Ohio do you live? I used to live in Steubenville for 3 years. That's where I went to college. (Got out early).

Rick-I live in Mentor Ohio...about 20 miles east of Cleveland.

Brian, Like the other guys are saying you can use the search button here and find most of the answers you are looking for. Also Bob from Pressure tek is a great person to buy from and he also can give you some great advice on how to clean whatever it is that you want to clean.

As for that pressure washer and surface cleaner that your looking to buy from Bob there both good for what you want to do. Heat is the best way to clean concrete but since you are not going to do this for a business its not worth it to you to spend around $3500 and up for a hot water Powerwasher.]

The trick to clean your vinyl sided house is to use a surfacant soap to help get the BLEACH to stick to your siding for a short while. Do this. Wet a side of your house down real good including your windows. Mix the a gallon of bleach with a little tide soap and put that into a 5 gallon bucket. Use your soap injector that comes with your powerwasher and soap up the side of your house that your cleaning. Do it from Bottom up. Then rinse your windows so you don't let the bleach affect the glass. Let the Soap(Bleach and Tide and also you can add some dishwasher soap in there to help the windows not to spot) sit on the side of the house for around 10 minutes but dont let it dry. Mist that side of the house if you have to to keep it wet. If you think your good enough then also now wet the other side of the house and do the same thing. Now go back to the first side you were cleaning and now start rinsing top down. Once done go to the other side and do the same. Becareful when dealing with the sun because it will dry the soap onto the house and windows and you don't want that. To clean the outside of the gutters Bob From Pressure tek can sell you a real good and fast chemical for that. Once you get the hang of this you can now see how a Vinyl house can be done so fast.

The Driveways you can also bleach when done to brighten or even use Oxalic acid(Us pro's sometimes use this but be careful as a DIY selfer.

Thats it. Practice makes perfect. Good luck and like I said do the search button here and all the info is here for your benefit.