Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gamble

When do you stop is the question.....

Question

As most of you know, we invested a great deal of money for our filtration unit to preform for many days in a row at 40 GPM's without to worry about sludge build up or clogging of the filters. To exceed all EPA requirements in all 50 states.

So we are now over budget on all of the upgrades by about $12,000. Not a big deal, but when do you stop is the question.

We went to get the powder coating done on our trailer which measures at 101 inches wide and 24 ft long. Because of the extra supports needed for the water, the trailer weighs in around 4,500 LBS. with no equipment on it. This makes it difficult to maneuver inside a oven.

We had a powder coating company that we dealt with and have agreed on pricing. The day we went to deliver, we noticed they were closed. They went bankrupt. So we found someone else but they are twice the price.

Question, Should we pay Double the price for powder coating on the filtration unit trailer OR should we use Line X in a yellow color?

What is the benefits of both? Powder Coating is an excellent product. Lasts for many years or line x which is less expensive by about $2,300, but stand up very well also.

The Line X will fade over a few years and the powder coating will take allot longer then a few years to fade.

Money is not necessary the issue, it is the product on the filtration unit and the appearance / durability in regards to longevity that I am asking about in a Parking Garage Cleaning setting.

www.GarageCleaning.Net

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

510-612-0437

39 answers to this question

Home depot has a sale on Black Spray Paint .99C per can, I was feeling so lucky to see the sale I got 2 cans before I checked out

Did it put you over budget?

I went all out and repainted a goose neck and 2 16 foot trailers with a case of Krylon satin black, I even splurged and bought a new 150 foot roll of reflector tape, I AM the man!

Satin is better than gloss or flat in my oponion!

As most of you know, we invested a great deal of money for our filtration unit to preform for many days in a row at 40 GPM's without to worry about sludge build up or clogging of the filters. To exceed all EPA requirements in all 50 states.

So we are now over budget on all of the upgrades by about $12,000. Not a big deal, but when do you stop is the question.

We went to get the powder coating done on our trailer which measures at 101 inches wide and 24 ft long. Because of the extra supports needed for the water, the trailer weighs in around 4,500 LBS. with no equipment on it. This makes it difficult to maneuver inside a oven.

We had a powder coating company that we dealt with and have agreed on pricing. The day we went to deliver, we noticed they were closed. They went bankrupt. So we found someone else but they are twice the price.

Question, Should we pay Double the price for powder coating on the filtration unit trailer OR should we use Line X in a yellow color?

What is the benefits of both? Powder Coating is an excellent product. Lasts for many years or line x which is less expensive by about $2,300, but stand up very well also.

The Line X will fade over a few years and the powder coating will take allot longer then a few years to fade.

Money is not necessary the issue, it is the product on the filtration unit and the appearance / durability in regards to longevity that I am asking about in a Parking Garage Cleaning setting.

www.GarageCleaning.Net

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

510-612-0437

The way you set up your equipment Jim I would look to get your trailer powder coated. You have a different standard on how you want your equipment done compared to most so I would go with what you want. Line X is good. I had a trailer a few years ago that was professionally coated with Line X. I only had it a short time because I sold it to someone else that needed that type of trailer more then I did. But in your case Powder coated is a step up so I would get it done right in your eyes.

For me that would be an expense that I wouldn't want to take on but Like you said there are others that have a few Hundred Grand in there set-ups so do what works best for you.

Edited by John T

The way you set up your equipment Jim I would look to get your trailer powder coated. You have a different standard on how you want your equipment done compared to most so I would go with what you want. Line X is good. I had a trailer a few years ago that was professionally coated with Line X. I only had it a short time because I sold it to someone else that needed that type of trailer more then I did. But in your case Powder coated is a step up so I would get it done right in your eyes.

For me that would be an expense that I wouldn't want to take on but Like you said there are others that have a few Hundred Grand in there set-ups so do what works best for you.

Thanks John !

wont matter what they spend cause Jim will just scare them away

Jim, if price is no concern why didn't you just make it in stainless to begin with?

Ya Tony, we did think about SS. The cost was actually cheaper than the Aluminum that we ordered for the tank. However the weight for the tank was estimated to be around 4,000 lbs with the SS, instead of 800 lbs with the Aluminum.

As far as the trailer, The trailer manufacture did not recommend using Stainless Steel on a heavy spec trailer situation. It may crack from vibrations when under stress, more so than regular steel.

Third, we are using the same trailer that you saw when you came over to my home. This was already designed to hold 4,000 LBS every 3 ft of the trailer while suspended at the corner off the ground.

If we went to all SS, we would have no use for that trailer. I did not want to just throw it away.

So to answer your question, YES we did think about all SS, but advised against it.

Edited by Jim Gamble

Jim you can stop reporting my post now I will just shoot from the hip from here on out, your post make you look like an idiot that is miserably trying to prove he has a pair!

Ok I said it, go to group they have one I am sure for people with no or low self esteem. If you would like for the bashing from everyone on the net to stop turn off the computer and step away from the keyboard.

Edited by Russ Spence

Russ, please.

if you could read the pm's you would understand

This is all so silly and I am sick of everything I read being so self serving. Its old and EVERYONE is sick of it. Wait! I will do a poll!

By the way I made it a New Years resolution to be nice but these post that are so self serving drive me nuts, it is impossible for Jim to understand just how bad he makes himself look.

Edited by Russ Spence

Jim you can stop reporting my post now I will just shoot from the hip from here on out, your post make you look like an idiot that is miserably trying to prove he has a pair!

Ok I said it, go to group they have one I am sure for people with no or low self esteem. If you would like for the bashing from everyone on the net to stop turn off the computer and step away from the keyboard.

Now, would the pair be stainless steel, aluminum, powder coated? It begs the question.