Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Feel like moving

Question

I have had an itch to move away from California, and the wife feels the same. Question is on where to go. My sister lives in Orlando and says it is a good place. Lots of green stuff to wash in her neighborhood.

Not really sure where I want to go. Anyone live somewhere that is in need of Commercial flatwork? I am not well versed on Housewashing, or Woodcare, as their is no market for it in my area. I can always learn if that is what pays the bills.

Have rig will travel.

38 answers to this question

Hello Alan,

Here is a picture of some of the Green Stuff we have around here! Corn and soybeans. I think you were refering to a different kind of green stuff :-)

Have a Great 4th of July.

I took this picture last year when I had the company car out on the 4th.

Dave Olson

We have been getting a rapid growth of people from other states

to the triangle area due to the job market at research triangle park.

Our neighborhood has over 300 houses and my wife and I are the

only ones from around here. That means major growth, new construction

more job oportunities.Weather is mild compared to up north. Probably sucks compared to California. People are laid back. Even the people that move here from larger cities are laid back after living here. Southern hospitality grows on ya.

Just hang a map, pull out your lucky dart, and make an adventure of it. Just don't move to my area please I don't need to compete with an experienced professional for the flatwork jobs here, it's hard enough already.

we new more PWers in florida like we need more holes in our heads. but there is lots of work for quality companys. just have to get by the cheapness genes that run deep.

Alan,

We love Maryland.

If your dart lands anywhere on the east coast and you want to learn to do woodcare, look us up. We'll be glad to help you learn about it. You probably know more from being online than you think...

Beth & Rod

I used to live in Scottsdale AZ. I liked it alot. That might be a good transition for you. I dont reccomend the East Coast of S. Florida. Most people are just plain rude. Strip clubs and Pawn Shoppes all over. Drugs and crime run ammuck. We are moving North soon. If I didnt have kids and could just choose somewhere I think the cost of Texas or the West Coast of Fl would be cool. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave,

My sister was referring the green washable stuff, but I love that picture of yours, car included. It would be nice to have some land, not trip on the neighbors house. I would be happy in a cardboard box, if it was in the middle of that field.

Seymore,

My wife keeps mentioning Texas, not sure why, but it has come up more than a few

times.

Rodney & Matthew,

I did one of those "Pick a Place to Live" Surveys and it listed many NC locations. I am already laid back, so I would fit right in. I am not looking for weather similar to here, just a nice place that does not break the bank to live a somewhat normal life. I would prefer to live in the Sticks, but wife wants have some City life nearby.

Paul,

Hawaii, are you losing your mind? Darn cost of living is higher than here.

Jon,

C'mon, one more washer in Florida won't hurt anything. Besides, by the time I would get there, many would probably be gone anyway. Or do you have the problem of, for every one guy gone, 3 more pop up to replace him? The three would be the guy who bought the old guys equipment, and his 2 buddies who fell for the get rich quick scheme and went and got equipment of their own. "We are gonna Rule this place" is a familiar phrase. 3 months later they are all selling out and up pops 3 more with buddies in tow.

Beth,

That area is so nice, never been there, but have heard from many people and seen many pictures. Thanks for the offer on Wood Care. If I did go that way, I wouild of called you anyway, so I am glad you offered, or you may have been suprised when I just showed up one day.

Rick,

Strip clubs and Pawn shops, as well as the rampant crime sound just like LA. Feels like home already. Every area has that in one spot or another, so that alone is not a reason to not move somewhere.

Arizona never crossed my mind, but I sure like the Sheriff that runs Maricopa County. Check this out!

I may be just dreaming that one day we are not surrounded by a paved world with the neighbors house so close that you can spit on it, but it never hurts to dream I guess.

Rodney & Matthew,

I did one of those "Pick a Place to Live" Surveys and it listed many NC locations. I am already laid back, so I would fit right in. I am not looking for weather similar to here, just a nice place that does not break the bank to live a somewhat normal life. I would prefer to live in the Sticks, but wife wants have some City life nearby.

Wilmington is a nice city area but it's not too big. If you change coasts completely swing down here to the Wilmington area. Just expect me to come to you to be a teacher and a mentor in my pressure washing life while I undercut you every time. :deal:

I grew up in Scottsdale, and my parents still live there. It is a huge market, but there is a lot of competition in the area as well. There are three major PW distributors in the area. each of them put at least 1.5 new guys in business every week. Depending on the week there are a lot of little used machines for sale in the trader mag, as well. As for recovery, no one will pay it here.

Scott Stone

Alan,

You're welcome here any time. Be glad to go over wood care and just hang out with you. So is all this just talk or are you serious? If I were you, I would look not only at the cost of living, but at the growth rate for the area as it's relative to the housing market. Look at the ROI for the home sales over the last...5 years and 10 years, and even as recently as say.... 2 years. You're looking for a sharp upturn in home values and a rapid growth. THAT is where you want to be. We are in the thick of that in Maryland in many places. You'll find it in Virginia, and in NC for sure, look at Raleigh for example. Atlanta is another fast growing city. I hear many good things about some places north of us like Pa, NJ, and NY but I am not as familiar with the growth there. Contact realtors in the areas you are interested in looking into. Tell them you are considering a move and get them to get the above info. Any good realtor can get that info. It's a matter of public record at this point, and most of the good ones keep that data handy for long distance movers. If Maryland is of interest to you, I'll put you in contact with our realtor. Have used her for many years in our family, and she's excellent.

Beth

Yes, I am serious on wanting to move. However where is the question. As much as I would like to go where I feel it is best, I am a little weary of a cross country move where I have to research every little detail to make sure it is the right choice.

It would not be an easy task, and will take much planning. I need a nap just thinking of all the stuff that is involved.

Montgomery County Maryland has some of the finest public schools in the Nation. People move here so the kids can attend them. I used to work for a software company whose VP moved out here for that very reason.

Thought I would mention that in case schools were a factor.

Beth

Hawaii does have PWs, have Emailed back and forth with one a few times but not sure how well he is doing yet as he has not replied to last mail

Wife and I have also talked about moving but although I would love to move to Georgia where my best friend moved to we have been looking North, OR and WA.

Not sure I would stay in the business or go into something else but I am tired of CA and all that it implies.

The higher cost here just gets higher and higher. Now a kicker that I cannot figure out, if OR/WA have lower taxes then CA how come property tax is more then double there compared to here and the houses cost half as much, go figure that one out.

Wife does not want to move East or South. Hmm Montana/ Wyoming/Colorado? Ah lovely Colorado, one place we saw I would love to move to called Ouray, little down home town. Hmm, farming, ranching, hiking, snow, so little crime I should shut up now.

No need for a PW as there is so little to wash there.

What is so special about this place?

its where the biggest earner on this board lives(allegedly) although i have not seen him post lately...must be run off his feet...

Paul,

I actually figured it out on my own, as I looked at the profile for the person in question, just a minute ago. When I saw that, I said "Now I get it". Raced over here to see if I could beat you to the answer, but missed out.

well al i wish you all the best with the move as it is a big decision and a lot of things have to be taken into account....no use going for the scenary if there is no work in the area.....paul.

ps i have just watched a documentry and from what they say keep away from the east coast.....decide yourself....the closing words of the program said !its not a matter of if.....its a matter of when" http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

why does everything from North Africa cause destruction to America? West Nile virus, African Killer Bees, now Mega-tsunamis? What we need are some more South African visitors, like Charlize Theron. More of that type of threat I can *definitely* handle :) .

*no real geographical reference was intended by this....I just needed a chance for a shameless plug of #5 on my top 10 list of women.