Sign in to follow this  
gutterdog

removing paint from wood, 60 years of paint, indoor

Thought it should go here in DIY section 'cause my dad is asking (kinda). He wants to remove the paint from the cabinets in his kitchen. Wants to do the wood with a varnish or something. They are the original cabinets in his house that was built heck... 1940's. Somewhere round there. He had his sander out doing it the hard way and I asked him to let me get in here and ask you guys! There is so many layers of paint!! Of course a PW wont be used. If it was a deck I'd know what to tell him. Whats the best paint stripper that can be done indoors? With all the layers of paint? Since he wants the wood look back it cant harm the wood. I told him I rub elbows with the best in the business! And to put down the sander and let me see what I can find out. Please when I went over there and the dust n no face mask... My dad is old and stuborn. Im prob going to do the work. Can anyone help me out? I'm looking for a one time application of stripper. And uhh however you take it off.

Michael,

If the paint is 60 odd years old, there is a good chance some may be lead based. Sanding lead paint would be very harmful to your Dad's health. Call a local paint store, I think there is a simple test to determine if the paint contains lead.

Michael,

If the paint is 60 odd years old, there is a good chance some may be lead based. Sanding lead paint would be very harmful to your Dad's health. Call a local paint store, I think there is a simple test to determine if the paint contains lead.

Ohh heck! Your right!!! my dad is 78. Stubborn as hell to do it himself. I will tell him. Thank you.

Just got off the phone with my mom. Dad is not to do anymore sanding. Thank you very much Grime scene. You couldve added a year or 2 to my dads life by stopping him. He has the asbestos thing from the work hes done before so his lungs arent the best. THANK YOU!