2010 Deck Pricing

2010 Deck Pricing, strip, brighten & stain  

22 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 Deck Pricing, strip, brighten & stain

• $1.00 - $1.50
    • $2.00-$2.50
    • $3.00 +

Question

Ok so I've been out of it for the last two years but I'm now up and running and getting inundated with deck request. I am truly at a loss for where pricing is these days. So where is everyone else at per square foot, call it a basic strip brighten and stain.

5 answers to this question

Im not getting many calls this year for decks, and when I do I'm getting killed on price. I've been at 1.50 for quite some time, and I refuse to drop. Too much work involved. But I'm getting beat with $1.00 or even less. Mostly painters with no other work.

Booked out for a month and a half with almost nothing but wood - 1.50 on up to 4.00 a sq ft depending on the job. The problem with pricing is everyone measures differently so it really doesn't mean much. I think we're one the very few that itemize our finishes seperate in an invoice where most others include it in the cost per sq ft too.

Edited by Greg R

Im not getting many calls this year for decks, and when I do I'm getting killed on price. I've been at 1.50 for quite some time, and I refuse to drop. Too much work involved. But I'm getting beat with $1.00 or even less. Mostly painters with no other work.

Jon,

Position with quality, not price. There is no reason to lose on price when your quality is better. Be the consultant not the salesman. Ask them why they didn't call the last guy back. That is the key to why they will hire you. They will tell you exactly what you need to do to be different. And then on top of that, you will tell them what you do that makes you even better, and how it reflects as quality.... Cha Ching!

Beth

Right on Beth. Price isn't important in my business. Customers that want a don't want to spend the money get referred to other companies. We're up-front that we're not cheap. I had a customer a few weeks ago tell me that he knew he could get it done for less, but he didn't think he could get it done better.

He learned his lesson in 3 times he had his house painted. He told me this over the phone, and we never even met. Company name and reputation mean a lot to good customers these days. As I was driving away from his home, I noticed that he had siding on his home now. Those 3 paint jobs on the house must have really did a number on him.