Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Cheap sundries

Question

Where does everyone order for low price/bulk orders of staining supplies. Do you just do box store or are there any good websites out there for these things:

--Cheap stain brushes (mainly use 2" for backbrushing spindles, truck brush for floor)

--Canvas drop clothes (4x15, 9x12) - use these for draping over rails when spraying

--Rags

--Painters tape/plastic for masking house (.5mil usually)

5 answers to this question

Charlie, I get my brushes and pads from Kwall who also carries the stain (RS) that I use.

I try to avoid the box stores unless in a pinch.

Sherwin W. has just about everything related as well.

But their china brushes are really overpriced.

The old adage, "you get what you pay for", is in general true. Our natural bristle brushes are purchased at a local Ben Moore paint store, expensive, but high quality and last a long time. Tarps are usually purchased at a regional chain painting supplier. I cannot find the heavy canvas at the box stores.

Rags come from my, and helpers hopeless clothes after staining for a while. Blue painters tape is usually acquired from the local Ace Hardware.

You can find drops and tarps and cheap stuff at Dollar stores. Ask old Aunts for sheets and old towels. Buy good brushes. Brush cleaner restores old brushes left in Drying oil sealers. Drive by cabinet stores and dumpster dive for card board. If there is a lot of card board the economy is getting better !!

Been trying to avoid the stores as much as possible as well. If I can order online and get larger quantity figure it might save some money.

I like the cardboard idea, that would be good for floor cover. The tarps are used for spraying but its getting costly since they get so soaked with stain its difficult to reuse.

Heres where I may be thinking off base, but I just dont see the value in good brushes. Everything (just about) is sprayed so I simply need something to backbrush. I'm usually backbrushing fairly quickly and not particrually gently so the brushes get frayed and messy. I almost prefer to get a low priced case of two dozen brushes and just toss them at the end of a week and not deal with cleaning them.

Been trying to avoid the stores as much as possible as well. If I can order online and get larger quantity figure it might save some money.

I like the cardboard idea, that would be good for floor cover. The tarps are used for spraying but its getting costly since they get so soaked with stain its difficult to reuse.

Heres where I may be thinking off base, but I just dont see the value in good brushes. Everything (just about) is sprayed so I simply need something to backbrush. I'm usually backbrushing fairly quickly and not particrually gently so the brushes get frayed and messy. I almost prefer to get a low priced case of two dozen brushes and just toss them at the end of a week and not deal with cleaning them.

Cheap brushes get frayed and frizzy :) A good 2x4" block brush will last for a long time. We get those from Steve @ the Stain shop now. I work with Sherwin Williams on plastic, tape. rosin paper and tarps and get pretty good prices on just about everything. 10x100 painters plastic = $10 a roll..... cheap! Menards wants $19 for the same thing.