Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Cleaning between cleaning

Question

I know this might sound stupid, but I've never done it before. What do you use to clean dirt and debris off a recently sealed deck? I sealed my deck this spring and because of traffic and such it's filthy. Garden hose cleaning does nothing. I don't want to pwash it for fear of screwing up the finish. Maybe one of the Home depot deck clean products would be mild enough.

14 answers to this question

what finish is on the deck? A little bleach and soap and a brush and rinse. If its a penitrating finish put a lite cote on. If its a filmer do nothing. Bleach and soap works better for maint. I've gone back and forth many time's on this issue because I do annual maint.

It was actually Olympic Maximum's Honey Gold. I wanted to test it before I used it on a customer's deck. It looks fantastic, but all the traffic areas are dull and filthy from the dog and kids.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was going to use the deck brush and scrub it with bleach, but I didn't feel like removing all the furniture. I'll try the soap and I also cannot live without oxyclean for the laundry. Here's a tip for old ragged out tennis shoes, soak them in a 5 gal bucket of oxyclean overnight. The next day throw them in the wash. You're not going to believe it. I was so astounded that I wrote them a letter. BTW, generic oxyclean does not work.

It's funny how after washing decks all day the last thing you want to do when you come home is lay a finger on your own.

I make my own generic "oxyclean" all the time, and it works exactly like the real thing. Try 90% percarbonate and 10% soda ash. We use it as a booster in the laundry, and for general household cleaning.