Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

What do you think?

Question

5 year old Western red cedar, wolman solid stain, and they dont really want to strip the railing top and bottom rail) but are willing to do so if they think it will look bad (which it will) with the stain. I dont know which color to use to go well with the house color. They want to leave the green spindles because they like the color. I like how sharp the natural cedar looks on western red but confident it wont match the house...

Much thanks, JL

post-5574-137772331219_thumb.jpg

post-5574-13777233124_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772331251_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772331267_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772331284_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

... I like how sharp the natural cedar looks on western red but confident it wont match the house...

Joe,

I am assuming that you are referring to Ready Seal natural cedar color stain. It can look a bit "orange" on WRC at first, but tones down a bit in a few weeks. Here are a few pics of RS natural cedar on WRC. Should be a fairly good complement to the house stain.

post-170-1377723313_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772331311_thumb.jpg

well I was wondering if there was a correct order for staining the spindles? Should i do the top rail first, then spindles, then bottom followed by the floor? First time with a two tone... I like cabots green solids as well. I might have to get the deckster for this job and another that is close to the same size. I just hope the weather gets better within the next two weeks.

Thanks, JL

Painters will tell you to start at the top and work down. Cover well with drops. Doing the inside first helps on the spindles so you get less on your hands, then do the faces of the spindles. That is my opinion, curious if anyone really disagrees

do you mask off the base of the spindle or make a carboard jig to go around the base? Just wonder how others do it...

Blue masking tape and a brush...Old School!

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

yea so just got done stripping and brightening this deck...IT WAS AN ACRYLIC! I was able to get about 95% but man was i in a bad mood when i got there. The bill for this deck should have been $450 more than what it is, but they were still happy getting the wood back. Now i just have to defelt the crap out of it and stain. Im just gald my next one is just a wash and stain!