Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Should We Bring Back The Wall Of Shame ??

Question

Bring Back The Wall Of Shame ??

Are you being underbid constantly, and having your throat cut by certain people in your field ?

It was not always like this, but it is bad, and getting even worse! Ask most Veteran Contract Cleaners, they will tell you our businesses are being ruined lately ....

In my field of Roof Cleaning, Chemicals cost almost 1/2 what they cost now, and we got way more money for cleaning roofs back then.

Even the lowest priced roof cleaning low ballers would never get on a roof, much less clean one back then, for under 300.00. No one wanted to "face the guys" at the Love Bar with that kind of reputation. People who worked cheap were ridiculed, even shunned by the guys. There was an unofficial "Wall of Shame" we need to bring back IMHO, to publicly identify, ostracize and embarass those who cut everyones throats. You know who you are, and so do we wave3.gif You MAY see it at the RCIA Forum, in a closed section of course! Sure don't want to bring any good publicity to those who ruin it for everyone, only bad! __________________

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning
to subscribe to thread

11 answers to this question

Last week I bid a average ranch house for $230, a very fair price. When I got done with the bid and got back into the truck I noticed I wrote down 130, not 230. ^$%^%%* I thought to myself,nothing I can do now, I already gave the bid to the HO. I was driving past a few days later to see someone else washing it. Can't believe someone underbid my mistake. However... it was at least funny to see the guy using a zero tip about ten feet from the siding.

Earlier this month I bid on a tennis court and pool area concrete of a very nice home but never heard back from the owner for several weeks. They did call back and asked if I was still able to do the job for the price I quoted. They had gone with the lowest bidder and were not at all happy and didn't let them finish the work. When I lfinished the job they were so excited and asked for as many business cards as possible to give they to their friends. They also tipped me with a bottle of expensive wine. (I wish I still drank).

Once you get a reputation for knowing what you're doing and don't charge a crazy price you don't have to worry about the lowballers.

Oh, little things count too such as the pool area of that house. I took the extra 15 minutes to use the brush clippers (I always keep in the trailer) to remove the plant growth on the outside of the pool concrete. The homeowner said she was very impressed that someone still gave that type of service. You know, it only takes a few extra minutes to do the job the right way and it really does make an impression on the customer.

If you are constantly getting underbid by others in your field then it is time to step up your services. Even if you have the best service in the area, you shouldn't even be on the same field as people who are slashing your prices in half. Stop doing resi washes and move to com, or stop using the same advertising you have been for years. Something needs to change. The burden of the business falls on the owners shoulders when it comes to any "low balling" that is happening. A wall of shame will just cause message board wars that don't help anyone, complaining will never help, only action will.

Zach

No matter what you do there will always be people that low-bid in this field and in any other field of business. They have always been here and always will be here. They show up at the start of every season and are usually gone by the the end of the year only to be replaced by another. There are also customers that will always go with the lowest bidder just to save a buck or two. What can we do? Nothing. Really, it just makes us look that much better.

I have learned many things in the last 7 years. One of the most important ones is that dropping your prices doesnt get you more work. A couple years ago i tried dropping 10-15% on each bid. Did not get one more job! There is always some one that will bid lower, no matter how low you go. The best way to sell is face to face. A quote left at the door or a phone quote is just a price. People buy from people they like and trust. those that buy just based on price are not who I want as a customer.

I passed a contractor a couple weeks ago. He called and asked if I did roof cleaning, and since he was tired of it after 25 years could I sub all of his. I gave him my prices. after a long pause, he said "Oh, I charge $300/day $185/half day. can I do it for that?" Sorry, but no. Ill be dammed if Ill get up on a roof for that. Let the lowballers have the low rent customers.