Sign in to follow this  
powerhouse power wash

Customer call backs

I have employees that the customers like very much, they have been with the company over 3 years, the problem I am having this year is a lot of call backs, customers calling that crew forgot to stain certain areas of a deck or forgot to make a repair, or not happy with the cleaning of the deck, or did not clean up after. the problem is that I have them go back to make good and take care of the problem, with out pay, becaused I already paid them to do the job rigth the 1st time. now thier Idea is to charge the customer an extra $100. on the estimate to make up for the call backs. they feel that they should be paid if they have to go back and correct what they forgot to do. the forman is always telling me the jobs were complete and inspected and are fine and sticks to it, even when customers email me with photo's showing what they forgot.

How would you handle this? your help is needed

Rob Rosa

I've heard before of companies doing a pool of money that is used each week to cover the cost of call backs.

So you give them a base pay and then each week you also have x amount of money in a pool.

If you get callbacks or have to make repairs you take that out of the pool. If they have no callbacks they get the full amount in the pool.

I don't recall he details but someone on here explained how it worked. In short, the less callbacks means more money they take home at the end of the week.

POOL? Give me a break. How about this.....

1. they have to apologize to the client every time
  2. the first occurrence is a verbal warning
  3. the second occurrence is a written warning
  4. the third occurrence and they lose their job

There are LOTS of people looking for work these days! Remind them of it!

This is assuming a rash of instances close together. Also I would suggest that if you have the equipment to do it, rotate the crewmen and partner then with others. Take them under your wing one at a time are retrain them if you get to the written warning stage and document everything. Show them you are investing in them, and want them to succeed, but let them know it has to stop NOW.

I don't like go backs. Sometimes it is a process issue, sometimes a training issue, but you always have to address it - ALWAYS. NEVER reward it. It will bite you in the butt and tarnish your reputation.

Beth

p.s. sometimes it is a "burn out" issue and in that case, it is better they go before they cost you a bundle.....

Edited by Beth n Rod
add ps

Beth, there's obviously different ways to handle it, my point is that if the base pay is low enough the pool is a vital part of compensation. Similar in sorts to a commission. No call backs you make good money....lots of callbacks you barely make minimum wage. You better believe it would sort itself out. Just one way to do it, not right or wrong. Also this isn't my method, heard it from another large company somewhere on here.

I hate, loathe, and despise complaints. I take them personally, and if I get one, EVERY ONE involved quickly develops a very bad day. My guys do not like a mad Scott. They also do not want to have to work with me. Seems they are always way more tired after spending a day or two working with me. Then they like to call me old man. ;)

First off I see a problem with the foreman on the job....If the job is not right he or she should correct it before they leave.....second if a call back occurs take the foreman back with you to see the problem and if is a legitimate complaint they should apologize and find a solution to the problem with no charge to the customer...Also we ask the customer to inpect what we did for them and sign to accept the job done.....

Edited by Lightning Gene

I agree with what most have said here.

This is your company, your reputation and how you feed your family here.

If your foreman is not responsible enough to make sure that the job is getting done the right way the first time then after all these problems then it is time for a new foreman.

Sometimes guys become too close of friends on the job and then the quality of work suffers at your expense.

Most places have a paper trail system, kind of like what was mentioned here before you let them go.

The customer complaints is what is there to help your company to do quality work and help you better your business. With all those problems it is obvious that someone needs to go whether it is a worker or forman is up to you but before another complaint comes in, it is time to give a warning that the next one will probably mean someone's job and when you let someone go then they will see that you are serious and possibly give you a little bit of respect instead of just laughing at you and giving you shoddy work knowing that you aren't going to do anything about it like always.

People getting fired always gets the attention of those that really want to keep their jobs, the others that are not serious will keep on doing the same thing until you do something about it.

Good Luck.

Beth, there's obviously different ways to handle it, my point is that if the base pay is low enough the pool is a vital part of compensation. Similar in sorts to a commission. No call backs you make good money....lots of callbacks you barely make minimum wage. You better believe it would sort itself out. Just one way to do it, not right or wrong. Also this isn't my method, heard it from another large company somewhere on here.

I would rather pay a decent wage and hold them accountable to standards that are higher. I feel that by paying a lower wage and having to incent (bribe) then to do a job that is to your standards, you are compromising quality. Gee maybe the client won't complain this time, and we will get the bonus and not have to go back, or whatever. For us it is never ok to lower standards so that you risk the call back. The first time you finish, that client will determine IF they will use you again. I guarantee you that if you have to go back, you lessen that chance.

Beth :cup:

Edited by Beth n Rod
spelling

We had this problem when we first started out and I like the rest do not like to back peddle when it comes to making forward progress in business. Go backs delay revenue and is lost productivity.

Our solution was one of many policies put into place to cover these issues and provide they never happen.

-An employee handbook was developed with a signature agreement page at the end to attest the employee has read and understood the contents and agrees to abide by the policies and regulations therein.

-Warnings were issued on the basis of 3 strikes and your out. I don't care how long an employee has been with the company, if they are no longer being a positive contributor...gone! 1st time, verbal warning issued in a document stating the incident, 2nd time the warning becomes a written warning with the ultimatum of a 3rd instance resulting in termination.

-Frequent retrainings are often required as employees can sink into an undisciplined habit(s) and create a series of self perpetuating mistakes. I will often accompany my employees just to supervise and make corrections any time I see them. This is my responsibility as an employer to maintain a business that stays on track. Like a car, you can't just start the engine and let it go by itself, you have to steer, push on the gas and step on the brakes when necessary.

We had a set of employees that thought the same as yours and by enabling them as you have to allow their mindset to evolve into thinking they can suggest charging the customer extra is plain BS. You have the reigns ... pull on them.

I have a stack of applications filled out from others who want to work for this company and all I have to do is hold them up in front of any one employee and let them know not to become complacent and eliminate their confidence that they can't be replaced. This is business not a social club. If the work does not get completed or the results are lied about to me, Bang, warnings begin!

They must learn to appreciate that the work must be completed according to the customers set expectations. These were determined the day the customer was met and the job was discussed and all questions pertaining to the job are answered. These form the expectations. Teach your employees this.

Now, for the positive reinforcement. My guys have learned to work for the fruit at the end of the job. Their hard work has paid them in the manner of tips, softdrinks and other customer offered gratuities as well as praise for their efforts and they thrive on it.

Every time they get a positive feedback form from a client, I let them know about it. I also let them know when things didn't go well, and discuss it with them and look for ways to avoid the issue in the future. Not always are the conditions the same at a job site and unforeseen complications can lead to errors or oversights which only an invested owner can spot.

Get involved when your employees have call backs as well and see if there is a pattern. Often times, there is one to be found and you can make the corrections before it gets worse. Believe it or not, some of the bad habits are created by the customers who make suggestions or give direction without you present.

Make them understand that they are to adhere to the contracted services and any alterations, deviations or omissions must be referred to the office and an addendum issued for any changes. Techniques and methodology withstanding, the customer hired you and your skills are what they are receiving. If they begin to direct your employees, the quality changes and creates complications or issues.

We had a customer that directed our employees to use 120 grit sand paper on his deck and apply 2 coats of a one coat product. See my point?

I don't mind answering the phone these days cause I know the complaints are minor and the regular business is flowing. Communication with the employees is encouraged and they actually watch out for the companies best interests now. On some level, they have become invested in it.

It makes for a better mindset all around when you are in control of your employees results and the customer is happy, rather than handling multiple complaints and pissed off customers. That is back peddling and it is avoidable...and by that I don't mean not answering the phone either.

Reign in your employees and control your quality.

Rod!~

I thank all who have responed to my post it has given me alot to think about. I pay my crew $18.00 per hr. plus end of year bonus, this year they each could of gotten $3000. in bonus money but because of all the call backs, they are only getting $500. and the formen thinks he is entitle to more, which will now change the whole bonus deal for next year. Instead of end of year bonus it will be a month to month bonus with a percentage of 10% decucted for every call back.

I will be showing all the comments, all of you have given me in hopes that it will show them, that

they 'er jobs are not a 100% safe and call backs will not be accepted.

Please keep the comments comming, you have no idea how much your comments will be helping me get the company back on track.

Amen!!!

pool? Give me a break. How about this.....

there are lots of people looking for work these days! Remind them of it!

This is assuming a rash of instances close together. Also i would suggest that if you have the equipment to do it, rotate the crewmen and partner then with others. Take them under your wing one at a time are retrain them if you get to the written warning stage and document everything. Show them you are investing in them, and want them to succeed, but let them know it has to stop now.

I don't like go backs. Sometimes it is a process issue, sometimes a training issue, but you always have to address it - always. Never reward it. It will bite you in the butt and tarnish your reputation.

Beth

p.s. Sometimes it is a "burn out" issue and in that case, it is better they go before they cost you a bundle.....

POOL? Give me a break. How about this.....

There are LOTS of people looking for work these days! Remind them of it!

This is assuming a rash of instances close together. Also I would suggest that if you have the equipment to do it, rotate the crewmen and partner then with others. Take them under your wing one at a time are retrain them if you get to the written warning stage and document everything. Show them you are investing in them, and want them to succeed, but let them know it has to stop NOW.

I don't like go backs. Sometimes it is a process issue, sometimes a training issue, but you always have to address it - ALWAYS. NEVER reward it. It will bite you in the butt and tarnish your reputation.

Beth

p.s. sometimes it is a "burn out" issue and in that case, it is better they go before they cost you a bundle.....

I agree that is exactly how I would handle it. I also agree with the "burn out" issue people that are an disruption need to go immediately. I have lost some great employees that became 'infected' from the one bad apple...

I have employees that the customers like very much, they have been with the company over 3 years, the problem I am having this year is a lot of call backs, customers calling that crew forgot to stain certain areas of a deck or forgot to make a repair, or not happy with the cleaning of the deck, or did not clean up after. the problem is that I have them go back to make good and take care of the problem, with out pay, becaused I already paid them to do the job rigth the 1st time. now thier Idea is to charge the customer an extra $100. on the estimate to make up for the call backs. they feel that they should be paid if they have to go back and correct what they forgot to do. the forman is always telling me the jobs were complete and inspected and are fine and sticks to it, even when customers email me with photo's showing what they forgot.

How would you handle this? your help is needed

Rob Rosa

I switched all my guys to a comission pay scale so they ae paid upon completion of job, if there is a call back it's on their own dime.