Sign in to follow this  
celtwheel

Any Experience with Bond's "One TIME" (100% solids & 7 yr. warranty) ???

Question

Never heard of this product or technology until today. I did a search on "All Forums" and found nothing.

They offer a 7 year warranty!

The present knowledge I've found on this site seems to agree the best you can guarentee is 2 years on the horizontal and 3-4 on the verticals. Is that right?

Here's their pitch:

Bond's One TIME Outdoor Wood Treatment

For Maximum Penetration, Maximum Coverage and Maximum Protection of Outdoor Wood Guaranteed for 7 Years.

One TIMEĀ® WOOD protector is a unique exterior wood protection formula that uses a proprietary acrylate resin blend to provide long-term protection from deteriorating elements. (note: Iso Bornyl Acrylate, a UV activated polymer used in the coatings industry)

At our testing site, an application of One TIMEĀ® on cedar is still performing after 8 years of exposure to outdoor weather.

31 answers to this question

I just had a customer present me with a brochure about the One Time deck stain from the other bidder. I told him that if it sounds to good to be true then...

I let him know that I would look in to it and get back to him. There are only a few positive posts online about this stuff and no negative web results. I read this thread and there has only been one contractor who has used it and it is not clear if it has held up as the product claims. Does anyone have experience with thsi stuff whether they used it themselves or knows of a customer that had it applied?

I think I will just let him know that there is not a lot of reviews of this product and after searching this forum of hundreds of professionals in the field only one guy has used it and the experience was not positive. I just want to make sure that this One Time compny is not doing something that could be beneficial to our industry.

If I had a nickel for all the bull$hit products that have come and gone over the years while a member of these boards - I'd be rich! Kevin, dont' take this personally, I speak for many when I say we've been swindled many times over by many manufacturers over the years. At this point, I'd wait 10 years vetting a new product before I changed. Heck, I am not even sold on some oil based products touted on these boards - I am having incredible mildew problems. Just wait until you have to strip a double application of SPF - then tell me how sold you are on acrylate/acrylic products. Not to mention if you have a product last 7 years, then you have effectively killed off your maintenance business. That's why I got out of house painting, customers go 7+ years without needing your business and your cash flow just sucks. Products also have to be friendly to our bottom line as well, or we go out of business. You can never go wrong putting oils into wood.

We recently starting using One Time. It has moved our business forward with many new accounts. We advise the home-owner that the warranty does not include UV damage / fading after 2 years. We also recommend a simple clean and recoat between years 4 and 5. One point to consider -- "funny smell" as someone wrote earlier, is dangerous and can be caustic. From experience I do not recommend a power sprayer and use caution when applying the product.

I've investigated it, applied it and watched it fail to hold color for 2 seasons in the midwest region. Not impressed at all with the product especially for the price.