Sign in to follow this  
Douglas Hicks

Pressure Surges

I use a Delco horizontal burner, TS 2021, with an adjustable lance. Last night I was on a metal roof, snow and all. I had the fan tipped and my wand was adjusted to soap. My hi=pressure nozzles poped off. It was and still is in the fan. I went to the van & got another nozzle. On soap mode, everything was fine, adjusted the want to hi-pressure, and I got surges. i removed the hi-pressure nozzle and flushed the line. I got another nozzle, same thing, flushed and got surges.

Any thoughts?

How cold is it out there in OR? I have trouble with my Honda's when the temps dip below 25 or so. I think the governor springs may not work as they should in colder temps at open throttle. I would look to the mechanical pro's for a more definitive answer on this though.

Surges are commonly caused by:

1. Air Leaks in inlet water lines, especially if you are drawing from a water tank. Also can happen when drawing from a float tank. Tighten up all low pressure fittings: inlet lines and unloader by-pass.
  2. Cracked Ceramic Plungers and Valve caps.
  3. Packing failure.
  4. Unloader failure.
  5. High Pressure Soap valve not being closed, running out of soap. Down Stream Injection on low pressure will not cause these surges, just air in the high pressure line.
  6. All of the above can be caused by freeze damage, especially inlet water filters.

Big Mike, it was about 27 F when I started and 23F when I finished Monday night. I did drain everthing when I finished with my daytime job earlier on Tuesday. Before I could do my Tuesday day job, I spent an hour thawing out stuff.

I have a replacement valve, I will change the valve on Saturday, along with checking the water lines. I could have frozen the ceramic plungers the night before.

Of course, since May, an item on my to-do-list was to get a new thermocouple for my propane heater. Tommorrow, I will stop at a customers business to get a new thermocouple. I will install it before leaving his place of business. If it does not work, he has new heaters in stock.