Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

I got Wood!!

Question

So I go to an estimate today for their back yard patio, and they ask about this monster deck they have as well.

I tried to gather all the info I could remember from reading other posts, but wood is not common around here.

The Deck is 50 X 12, so 600 sqft

It has 110' of rails and I did not count the spindles if that is needed. From the best that I can tell, it is painted with Latex paint and that is failing in many places. The posts are pretty healthy as far as paint goes, but some of the flooring is real dry.

The owner is not happy that he has to pound nails in every month and says he will replace with screws. Is that a good idea?

Here are some pics to get a better idea. I figured it could be stripped with HD80 and may need the booster as well. I am not so worried about the top of the deck, as I am the bottom. The paint under there is much healthier than the top or the rails. I gave them a ballpark of $1200.

post-12-137772138825_thumb.jpg

post-12-13777213883_thumb.jpg

post-12-137772138834_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Alan,

If I understand correctly the flat area on this deck should be 1200sq ft.,you are only figuring price on restoring the top of the boards.You need to figure in the railing ,spindles,top and bottom sides of the boards.

I think you'll find your price will rise if you total it the way I mention.I still play hit and miss with decks.

Homeowners here aren't willing to pay what they are worth so we don't do many.

Ahh man, I goofed already. Good point and I should have thought of that. I also should have counted the spindles and measure the stairs, but I have to admit this is a large chunk of wood and I was a little overwhelmed at the moment. Next...

If that is latex paint the hd-80 will have no problem removing that stuff. It will take the paint right off the trim of house pretty good too!!!:whoops:

If you do this job I would wait untill after stripping it to decide on what to put back on it. You may have to go back with a solid color again. Sturgis did a great job of removing a previous finish on a deck, make sure you check that one out.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2311

The big thing is its better to overprice a little to make sure you dont lose your shirt if you get this job. This is a big undertaking for any contractor to do. Its very time consuming and tedious work.

Good luck

Ummmm... it's not a paint stripper. you have a 50% shot with getting off a latex paint (not to be confused with a stain). Alan, did I send you samples? I think I did. If you have them, try a test spot vertically, and horizontally on places where the paint is still very intact. You may need MEK on this deck. I have not see results yet on the booster that will allow me to say yes to paint removal. That product does make HD hotter, but it is still very new, and it's limitations are not yet well known. If you plan to use HD, test first.

Paint is one thing we are not fond of stripping. In fact, it's about the only strip job we will turn down. We don't want to work with MEK. We have our own personal safety limits...

Beth :groovy:

ummm...one other thing, the underside I would suggest leaving painted. Stripping that would be a nightmare.

Ask them this...what 'look' do they want? Do they want paint again (cringe) or are they trying to go back to a more natural look ( bigger cringe). Your easiest route would be wash, remove peeling paint, prime, recoat with paint.

The test of a true wood jedi (yes I watched star wars yesterday) would be to tackle this strip job with the goal of applying a semi trans...

There is one other creative solution... and it would probably be the way we would go. In fact, we have used this solution before....

Strip the floor, and leave the rails and underside for a solid recoat. Do the floor in a semi-transparent, leave the rest solid. You have just created a two-tone deck. They are very nice looking when done well. That would be what we would do.

Beth

I have just finished a latex paint removal project on a deck. The customer insisted on a semi trans sealer at no holds barred on the cost. The deck was 30'x18' so it was pretty close to the square footage you have. I told them $2200.00 realizing that I was going to have to do a fair amount of sanding. What a nightmare. Two days of stripping with nasty chemical, two days of sanding every rail, spindle and board(starburst rails,and two benches). The total time invested was 32 hours. Over $300 in chemicals, stain, and floor sander rental. Another $180 in labor, $30 in misc expenses. Wearing a chem suit and respirator was a riot in the 90 degree heat. I will never do that again, I relinquish my Jedi status. Next time its clean, prime and solid satin.

Amen brother. If you have paint on a deck plan on two days of sanding (I said this before). Also plan that not all of the paint will come up and this will show through any semi. Educate your customer and explain to them why they should put on a solid stain instead of a semi. Plan on bidding the job about double what you would normally charge and get to work. Just my 2 cents.

Herb Hewlett

Herb's Pressure Washing

Hmmmm, maybe I should pass on this being my first job. I hate Mek and if I had to use that they would not want the job done. They are very concerned about chemicals.

Yes Beth, you sent me samples and I just found them the other day. they were hidden away by the wife who forgot she had ever seen them before. The stain was dried out but I would guess that the powder is fine.

They are deciding if they want the deck done or not, as they gave thought to tearing it out and replacing with some aluminum product. They are supposed to call back regarding the concrete and brick, so when I go back I will test some spots.