Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Gas Station Canopies

Got a call to clean these 20' tall canopies for a Conoco gas station. They cover about 3500 sq ft over the pump areas. He just wants the underside cleaned only. Looks like they are covered in light deisel soot and carbon dioxide. He said he had another pw company come out and they did not get them clean. Said they didn't brush either. He didn't say what chems they used or how they applied them just that they didn't get it clean. I'm going to do a test area using an alkaline based diesel smoke remover to determine what it will take to get it clean. I was planning on using my x-jet to throw it up and also to rinse and apply a light wax. Was hoping to get some input into some of your methods or how you may have cleaned something similar and what it took to get it clean. I will brush if need be (he even has a scisor lift I can use) so that's not a big deal.

I am concerned about reclaim and what that may entale. Since I mostly do residential work I don't have to worry about reclaim but I also don't have $5000 to spend on a system either. Can I trap the runoff and use my flotec to pump it back to my holding tank?

If he takes my price he will have 25 stations for me to do which could also lead to a regular maintenance bid. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Gavin

I am concerned about reclaim and what that may entale. Since I mostly do residential work I don't have to worry about reclaim but I also don't have $5000 to spend on a system either. Can I trap the runoff and use my flotec to pump it back to my holding tank?

Gavin

How big is your tank? Nothing worse than not having enough space for dirty water.

You should be able to discharge to the Sanitary sewer and they have one on site somewhere. If you have any doubt if this is legal , then I suggest you contact the local treatment plant that covers the area to confirm. Sometimes they require prefiltering of any solids.

One thing I can tell you about these canopies. They are snaked full of electrical wires and connections.

A potential liability waiting to happen. Not that one shouldn't wash gas station canopies, but rather one should fully understand the scope of the job.

My .02

Thanks for the input guys. I'll continue to be carefull moving forward on this one.

Alan, I've only got a 110 gal tank so I may have to make a few dumps. Don't know how much solid there is going to be since there seems to be just a light film of dust and pollutents. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

On a side note, I'm surprised more people didn't chime in on this one.

Thanks again.

Gavin

P.S. Anyone want to say what they would have charged for a job like this? 3500 sq ft canopie. Just curious where I fell.

Alan, I've only got a 110 gal tank so I may have to make a few dumps. Don't know how much solid there is going to be since there seems to be just a light film of dust and pollutants.

The ideal thing would be to pump the water to the drain so that you do not need to stop and dump. It is not just the stuff on the canopies, you will get lots of soil when the water hits the ground and then you rinse to cleanup what fell down. I guarantee that there will be more than you expect.