Sign in to follow this  
Gutter Squad

AR Direct Drive 5.5 GPM Pump

Does anyone out there have any experience with a RKV5.5G40? It is the 5.5 GPM direct drive pump that AR offers. I posted last year about buying a ts2021gr (gear-driven) pump... and have done absolutely nothing with the business in the past year. I sold my van, my trailer, and a good deal of other assorted equipment and am planning on just having one primary 13 HP unit and another 13 HP unit as a back-up (already have a smaller CAT pump on that one).

Any thoughts? I am thinking that everyone is going to go for the ts2021gr... but thought I would put this out there. The AR is half the price of the General pump... but sometimes you get what you pay for, too.

Thanks!

Some people here have good luck with AR pumps but I'm not one of them. I can go out to my garage right now and find 3 that have given up on me.

Directly, that question is about "Long-Term-Low-Cost"..

If you give the pump "the perfect water supply"

take meticulous care of them both..

Let's say the General-Gr-pump or eqivalent AR, Comet, Udor, or Giant

gear-reduction pump..

can go 15 years, on 3 or 4 rebuilds.

A direct drive "beefy-version" like the RKV, or a Comet FWD version..

would go 2 rebuilds and total replacement every 5 years.

so.. $200 dollars more, gets you TWICE the reliability, BUT..

add that 2nd Direct-drive pump cost every 5 years,

and the lost account for "lack-of" reliability,

"The service-records" show.. the one that is WAY better..

the Low-speed pump, gear reduced, or belt drive.

..and the belt drive runs cooler.. even better.

choose good tools, keep them well maintained, and profitable.

I am RELENTLOUS at teaching at the sales-counter..

Long-Term-Low-Cost.

.it's all math, and tracking, for statistics.

Many years ago when I got into this line of work I bought an 11hp Honda with a direct drive Cat on it. Since then I have bought several other more powerful machines, several different trucks and trailers but I still have that old Honda with the Cat pump, the only difference is the unloader has been replaced. About 15 minutes ago I came home from acid rinsing a deck with that same machine. A very old direct drive pump but it still works perfect.

Excellent thoughts - I have a pretty old direct drive that still runs fine - I also have just two (ha ha) AR pumps that are completely shot sitting in my garage (both were stripped off 13hp Honda engines that I bought off craigslist from some disgruntled home-users... both left out over the winter with water in them).

Regarding other equivalents when talking about gear reduction pumps, what are other good choices besides the ts2021? I am open to suggestions and have never owned a pump over 4.8 gpm. I am STRICKLY a house washer... I don't do concrete and I decided a couple years ago that I wasn't going to do decks anymore (really satisfying results... but I don't like going back to the same house 3 or 4 times to finish a job).

Many years ago when I got into this line of work I bought an 11hp Honda with a direct drive Cat on it. Since then I have bought several other more powerful machines, several different trucks and trailers but I still have that old Honda with the Cat pump, the only difference is the unloader has been replaced. About 15 minutes ago I came home from acid rinsing a deck with that same machine. A very old direct drive pump but it still works perfect.

Is that a 4SF Cat? Those pumps are wonderful...but very costly now.

That 4SF was fine for reliability..

it's the parts cost that will blow your mind.

Gear Reduction version with less expensive parts,

and runs a cool 1450rpm.. Comet FW5530GR or AR's RKseries GR version

they both have VERY beefy rods, and ceramics.

..longer-term-low-cost.

Edited by Jerry
sp.