Sign in to follow this  
adco

Quiet muffler needed

We clean alot of fast food restaurants and our rig is a bit loud near the area ordering area. I use a 20 hp. Kolher and need to find a quiter muffler. I've used many mufflers in the past with no luck. This is the muffler that I'm currently using. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Allen

24-068-18-S.jpg

KOH2406818S

KOHLER ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT

You can get a resinator for the end of the muffler or do what I did and take it to a muffler shop and have them install a muffler off a Honda Civic or other small import.

Just remember alot of the noise doesn't come from the muffler but for the fact that the engine is air cooled is where you get alot of noise from also.

Keep in mind that a muffler just doesn't keep things quiet; it also keeps the valves from burning. Think of blowing through a straw and your breath is the HOT gasses the engine needs to get rid of. If the straw is too narrow you can't get rid of those hot gasses quick enough and you will burn the valves. If the straw is too wide (try blowing through a large diameter PVC pipe) the hot gasses cannot escape fast enough and will linger around the pipe too long causing the valves to burn. The bottom line is that the muffler must be matched to the engine to prevent premature valve failure.

you might use a 1 1/4" flexible exhaust line plumbed to dump into the top of the heater stack.

To quiet remaining engine noise, you'd have to put just the right sound-dampening panels around the engine,

but it HAS to be able to breathe.