Sign in to follow this  
desi

area coverage

Question

40 answers to this question

Man, you Texas people love to drive don't ya? Everytime I've been there and ask directions they always said. Yep, it's just down the road.. Only about 200 miles or so.

Bahamas should be nice with very little driving.. Thank god for that, you all drive like your in the indy 500.

I did love visiting both places though and look forward to visiting again. I'm not sure what those Texas ladies eat to be as beautiful as they are but keep up the GREAT work Texas!!

I'm with Henry, 30 miles and some exceptions. I'm in Baltimore County and if it's big enough then MAYBE I'll go to Carrol, Howard or Ann Arundel, but that's it. I'm very lucky, I guess, to live in a very populated, suburban area.

Mostly we stay in Montgomery County, but we travel if the job is worth the trek.

Hey Classic - you coming to the round table Saturday Oct. 23rd? Hope to see you there. Also you should bring Cass with you.

Beth

I cover 3 counties, St Charles, Lincoln, and Warren. I have been into St Louis county, but only because of a referral from Beth. I range up to 75 miles out.

Reed

About for the first ten years we also covered a radius of about 75 to 100 miles from home depending on the job. It seems like the last four years we are spreading out our wings a bit more and now covering five states with eyes on two more states. It all depends on how far my team wants to travel, and also keeping our local work caught up.

Years ago my wife and I had a vision long term with our pressure washing business and it is now slowly taking shape. The name MIDWEST MOBILE WASHERS would not seem right if we just did work in Iowa.

For Commercial work and accounts I will travel 100+ miles. I also Powerwashed a few commercial accounts in my neighboring state NJ but gave that up last year. Residential work is usually at most a 50 mile radius.

Wow Tony that's great! I've got to give you credit for having big dreams like that and being able to fullfill it. With gas prices on the rise I couldn't imagine wanting to travel that much. Expecially with as much as I have on my plate now. I do travel on occasion for large commercial or condo developments and stuff like that but it has to be worth the travel time to do so.

I've had opportunities to bid on some really large jobs just down the road from me and declined on them just because I was allready to busy taking care of exhisting clients to take on a job that would run for a complete month.

I admire some of you guys that take on huge buildings and such but not enough to want to do them myself..lol I'll do strip malls or small shopping centers and stores but I'm not interested in growing my company any bigger than it is now. Besides, I like doing residentials more, they seem to appreciate the work more than store owners.

Speaking of gas prices....how is that effecting everyone's "free estimates"? Is anyone imposing conditions onthe "free estimates" they give? (for example must be present at time of estiamte or the price of the stimate is taken off the job total (thus a nomnal charge for the estimate) or something? With gas prices going up so much, we were wondering if this long time 'free" standard is changing at all?

I'm still doing free estimates but when I'm there, I estimate everything on the house or property that we "can" do so we only have to go out once. Something else that helps us is I've got at least two vans making loops around the entire county every day. Until we hit gutter season at least. Then we just do one or two cities a day for each van. We still estimate everything when were doing gutter cleaning though, just so we have a record of the client and what we can do for them.

I think were lucky to be operating in Montgomery County Beth, it's getting so crowded here we could just work in one small city or 5 square miles and stay busy.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's not hard to stay busy at all. We too put down various options so we have them on file, but it is frustrating to go to do an estimate, and either no one is home, or they called as little as a day ago and since then rented a pw'er to do it themselves, yet don't call back to say they don't need you to come out. These trips can add up. We were thinking of putting a qualifier on free estimates, such as you must be present. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We are not sure about doing it yet.

Beth

I always ask if someone will be home and try to work around their schedule if I can but I won't require them to be home. A lot of high pressure sales companies use this tactic so I try to avoid it. Also figure in that other companies are estimating the job too so any type of negative factor can hurt you getting the job. If the client is home, I usually get 98% of the jobs I bid so it's good to have them there but forcing the issue by only giving free estimates if they are home may cause problems.

Hey Charlie,

Yes, if the homeowner is there at the house I close 98% of my estimates. If they aren't home and I leave an estimate and wait for them to call I get 70% We always try to call people the following day though to answer any questions they may have about the job and to make sure they get the estimates.. We've got a few lowballers around here that pull our estimates and just bid our prices..lol When we do follow up calls we get about 80% of the jobs.

I'm really good at selling jobs, my guys aren't quite as good at it but their close ratios are just a little under mine.

We are working on a deal at a University that could pay big big bucks.

It is a dream job that we all wish we could land. I project the project to take an estimate of 4 to 6 weeks the gross may reach $238,000. But we all know how sales go, the deal can go south overnight if the board members do not agree. I feel that some work will come out of it , but it would be so so so sweet to get entire package.

I've got to give you credit for having big dreams like that and being able to fullfill it. With gas prices on the rise I couldn't imagine wanting to travel that much. Expecially with as much as I have on my plate now. I do travel on occasion for large commercial or condo developments and stuff like that but it has to be worth the travel time to do so.

I've had opportunities to bid on some really large jobs just down the road from me and declined on them just because I was allready to busy taking care of exhisting clients to take on a job that would run for a complete month.

I admire some of you guys that take on huge buildings and such but not enough to want to do them myself..lol I'll do strip malls or small shopping centers and stores but I'm not interested in growing my company any bigger than it is now. Besides' date=' I like doing residentials more, they seem to appreciate the work more than store owners.[/quote']

I agree.

The biggest problems I have with growth issues pertain to employees.....too often they can be a pain in the a**. I have to limit growth to what I can effectivey manage with the manpower I had available. Good employees are hard to find, the worthless bungholes are a dime a dozen.