Sign in to follow this  
desi

area coverage

Question

40 answers to this question

Henry, if your closing rate is that good, maybe your prices are too low. Just a thought. I know we close many jobs, but there are some jobs you don't mind not getting. You know, the headache jobs....

Beth

I don't know my percentage exactly but i would be close to 90% but i get a ton of referals tho.It's very rare i get shopped around and have to drop my prices :cool:

If i sense i'm gonna have trouble with a customer i don't have a problem taking a pass on the job. :cool:

I never expected anyone to believe my in person sales closure rate. That's okay, I don't mind.

I pride myself on being a great salesman, getting to know the client and what they want. Offering a good price for the service that they want done and getting it done quickly the first time.

There are jobs that I don't want that I either bid so high I don't get or that I could hire another company to do. I'm not counting those in the closure rate I listed.

It's also true that my prices are probably a bit lower than others in the area, or that I can get out and estimate the job faster and get it done faster. Or, we give such an outstanding presentation and estimate that we do that well.

Either way, the season is almost over here and I will be making adjustments to my pricing next year.

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you I can do a gutter cleaning job in less than 10 minutes either but it's true.

Hi Beth,

For example, any house in our development, regardless of style or design, stories, number of gutters or downspouts.

As long as we can walk the roof of course.

troughs? do you mean valleys or gutters?

Hi Henry,

Gutter troughs. 10 minutes in our neighborhood? You guys must not be using water. Are you scooping or blowing? Just curious. We have been using water, but it is alot slower than what you have described. Would be interested in learning how to speed up, if you don't mind. :groovy: I can see 1 story being that fast, but I would have guessed a little more time for 2 or 3 stories.

Beth :groovy3:

Henry, I believe you. I have not missed a close yet. All my work is referral so I think those jobs should be a given (how can you lose a sale when a customer is coming to YOU?). I am without a doubt the highest guy around, period. I am not ashamed of that as my customer service, professionalism and workmanship are all top notch. Its all in the salesman's ability. I am not talking snake oil and smoke up the ass rhetoric. Genuinely believing in your product, showing up on time, following up immediately with customer concerns and spending time with people are forgotten arts in the service industry. I never do more than one job per day and thats the way I like it. I hear so many guys saying they drop their pants on price and still don't get the jobs. Hundreds of millions of homes, driveways, decks, buildings, restaurants etc out there and they all need some type of cleaning sooner or later. Noone can tell me you have to give away the farm just to get a customer to say yesand I don't care what part of the country you are in. I have trained alot of salespeople and many say the same schtick. Is it usually an unwillingness on their part to ask for the sale (ie CLOSE the SALE) Some people seem adverse to making money, I just cant figure it out for the life of me.

We have closed 99% - if we don't want to do a job, we diplomatically decline (with solid professional advise of course). We don't decrease prices except for public servants (cops, firemen, emt, teachers) and it has seemed lately, the higher we bid, the more jobs we get (gotta love that!) We very much practice the same ethics as

Pressure Pro up there - you can never go wrong taking care of your customer the way you would want someone to take care of you.....sort of the "golden rule" of customer service.

Also, speaking of gutters, and this may be appropriate for a strictly gutter (not minded) thread, BUT, I have read an article that may make yet another point for marketing gutter cleaning. (Can find and post if someone wants me to) MOSQUITOS! Mosquitos breed in standing water...if gutters are clogged, they are breeding grounds for mosquitos which as we all know, carry nasties like West Nile. If you can't appeal to a homeowner's common sense to take care of their house, they may bite on the health issue.

Celeste

Oh, we also only travel about 40-45 miles. We will continue free estimates, but now instead of just going to do it (unless we're in the area for another reason), we call and confirm that we will be there and ask that the HO meet with us for a "full consultation".

Hey Beth,

We usually use blowers except for those rare occasions where it won't work. Then we have to use water to clear a badly plugged up downspout. Or take it apart on occasion. The gutter troughs thing still throws me... I've heard gutters and downspouts called all kinds of things.. Even those thingamajiggies but not troughs..<G>

Going up three stories only requires a longer ladder and maybe an extra minute to climb the extra height, no big deal. Were on ladders all the time so were used to it. 40' ladders are another deal though, they require 2 people to use them at all times. (they are also heavy as hell too..)

I finally raised my prices last year on gutter cleaning $5-$10 and I've recently read a few articles in papers and online about gutter cleaning.

They listed prices of $75-200 bucks!!

I think I may be raising them again after reading that. When I raised prices the last time, I lost 3 customers... That's it! The extra money we made off each job definetly made up for it and my guys also appreciated the raises and extra perks we gave them with the extra profit.

Here is my rule of thumb. If you close 80% or more you are to low in price. 0 - 40 % to high. 50 - 70% give or take 10% you are doing well. This is for residential. Also I do not consider myself to be a salesmen only a need creator.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Your right and that's a good rule of thumb to go by in most situations, expecially people who are just starting out. I also take into consideration what the market and customer will spend. For example, I will offer my clients choices so they can decide on what they want to spend. Some people can't afford top of the line sealers or just don't want to pay that much for their deck. This also helps my close rate. Some guys will only bid one price no matter what. If it's too much for the customer they won't get the job unless they can convince the customer to buy it.

I do things a bit differently by educating them on the different products, then giving them a choice.

the woodcare side of my biz I don't compete anymore. The people come to me for my expertise and service. The other side is very competitive prices have gone down for house washing in some area's. To many part timers.