Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Estimates - how do you handle them?

How do you handle estimates?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. How do you handle estimates?

• They are free, no condition, we don't care if the owner is even there. We leave it at the door.
    • They are free if you purchase the service from us, but there is a small fee if you don't.
    • They are free if the owner is present when the estimate is prepared.
    • Never give free estiamtes, we always charge for them.
    • Our estimates are given via phone, we don't visit the site.
    • They are free, but we mail them, never leave them where they could be missed or lost.

Question

With gas prices on the rise, we were wondering if the legendary "free estimate" is going to become a thing of the past...or at least change...please share your thoughts, and vote in the poll below.

Thanks!

107 answers to this question

Just A Question? Do you think a H.O. would consider getting a estimate from someone who charges for them or go with a company that does it for free. If you charge ,it may deter the customer. I can understand charging if you have to travel. So many contractor's give free estimates. Charging may come back to bite you in the BUTT.

To many guy's in every industry give Free Estimates, I doubt a customer would ever pay for one.

I guess it depends on your area of expertise. Personally I haven't done an "On-Site" house wash estimate in 3 years. Sure, larger jobs, concrete or something like that needs eyes on. Knowing your area is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still visit nearly every project for the bid and meet with 90% of the homeowners at the time of the bid. If it means meeting up with them at 7pm so be it... you can't get a check from an empty house! Honestly I close a ton of work for just being me if that makes any sense. We're damn good at what we do but I love meeting our customers and can really bond with most to build a level of trust, respect and honesty in a very short period of time.

As far as bidding quotes are all FREE and I also bid onsite with a computer and printing of the estimate(s) within a few minutes. I still have a lot of customers double take when they see the printed quote vs a hand written one. Just another notch above the competition...

Been running 10 to 15 bids a day for nearly the past month other than my week off for vacation. Things are crazy busy this year.

We do charge a on consultation fee for log homes outside of our service area IF we need to visit the home. Have to be able to justify the time and fuel if the need be...

Edited by Greg R

Hey 4000, when I go Starbuck's. I pay for the next 10 coffee's and have them hand out my card. Upscale clients !! Has worked well. I stop at two in my area and always see my clients talking to new future client's....LOL

Hey Jim, I know really old post but have to say, I think that's a great idea!! You still do something like that?? Hope all is well.

How would you guys like it if you called Bob or Russ or ACR and asked for detailed answers about there product

And they spend time with you on the phone and answer every question you have. You place your order after being satisfied that your buying the right product, the product comes in and there is a 5% service charge for answering your questions. Time is money for everyone

But estimates are part of the business IMO

I still try to personally visit every job for an estimate. I like to get a feel for the job to determine which crew would do best, meet my new customer, etc. We (all of us) are in a service business, so that is what I try to give. Whether they are home or not my estimate close rate is over 80% they called me, they want the work done. Get out there and and give your presentation. Look good, speak well and sell.