Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Need advice on customer scheudling and communication

I am reaching a breaking point with customers. I've been small enough that in the past I could schedule a house washing to a particular date and a particular time.

And I could always call back and reschedule in case of weather, and always had plenty of time in the schedule to fit it in.

This year has been a breaking point - in the past I didn't particularly notice homeowners being burdensome - but now that I have pretty full schedules, I am finding

homeowners to be somewhat annoying and unrealistic in their desires.

So here are my issues in a nutshell..

a.) How do I steer homeowners from wanting an exact date and time that I will be coming to their property? I imagine landscapers don't call before they show up each week.

b.) How do I get homeowners away from wanting constant coddling on the telephone? I want to get folks more on email, so instead of explaining to 15+ homeowners that every

day it rains that my schedule changes - this is breaking me. I can deal with individual homeowners with projects worth $1,500 and up - but below the $500 ticket price, this is

becoming insanity. Anybody have an email system they use, whether formal or informal, that deals with re-contacting many homeowners at a time?

c.) When is a good time to insert a 'policy' sheet alerting homeowners to certain major policies that need to be followed, i.e. being paid in full upon completion whether homeowner

is around or not, cannot dedicate phone time unless it's absolutely important cancellations and notice of arrival will be done by email, etc. Is it too much to show this prior to even

getting the job? And if not - I find I don't get any face time, as

they'll call back a few days later to say they want to go with me. At which point - I have no real way of instructing them.

Well in my opinion a few things are happening. You are getting to a crossroads where things are getting to big to handle alone, but you may not be big enough that you FEEL you should bring in a full time person to field calls and give homeowners the warm fuzzies. And also in my opinion the customer shouldn't run you over but they do have the right to know when you will be coming onto their property. Give a time frame of two hours like the cable company. Some ladies don't feel safe alone with a man or group of men. And your clients are everything without them you have nothing to do. You could also decide not to take smaller ($500 or less) or sub the job out to a smaller company just starting out for a percent and make money off of their effort. Have them look at the job, give you a number, add something to it.

As for the policy changes I think make sure it is on your next bid sheet you hand out and highlighted. I have taken payment from under the front door mat. If a homeowner wants to inspect the work they can be there at our agreed upon time.

I am having some of the same problems and I don't schedule clients until their week comes up. Right now, I am booked two and a half weeks out. Two estimates came in today and we agreed on a price. I then told both of them that I would call Monday morning, October 17th (2 weeks from today) to schedule a convenient time that week (I try to take Monday's off as I usually work commercial jobs on Sunday). Today (Monday), I set my whole schedule for this week after previewing the weather outlook and best ways to set clients up based on location to reduce travel between jobs.

Edited by HighTide

I am having some of the same problems and I don't schedule clients until their week comes up. Right now, I am booked two and a half weeks out. Two estimates came in today and we agreed on a price. I then told both of them that I would call Monday morning, October 17th (2 weeks from today) to schedule a convenient time that week (I try to take Monday's off as I usually work commercial jobs on Sunday). Today (Monday), I set my whole schedule for this week after previewing the weather outlook and best ways to set clients up based on location to reduce travel between jobs.

This is how I schedule as well. Tell the customers I'll be there the week of 10-16 -11 I always give them Sundays date then they aren't expecting me on Monday.

I know exactly how you feel.

We tell them once they sign they are in line, done in order, no exceptions. We guestimate being booked out about X weeks/months but tell them it is based upon ideal conditions and that it can and most likely will change. We tell them we will call them again when we are closer to the start date, several days to a week out. We tell them short notice is possible if the weather doesn't allow for longer planning. We NEVER give anyone a date until we are close enough for it to be realistic.

It doesn't stop the calls, that's the nature of residential work. And the more popular you become the longer your line is. And the more likely many are to wait.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

this is a game of customer service and if you want repeat customers you better be on your game, the margins that house washing brings in I dont mind a little phone work. I tell them the week of such and such, and if they need more then that I tell them Ill call them that week to let them know, any customer that cant handle or understand that I dont want to work for. ANd if I cant take the time to give them a courtsy call the week of their prroject they probally wont want me to work for them.

a.) How do I steer homeowners from wanting an exact date and time that I will be coming to their property? ...

I'm not sure what kind of work you do. My experience is limited to exterior wood restoration, and it may not be applicable to house washing, gutter work, roof cleaning etc.

It all starts with the on site estimate. I quickly explain the nature of the business, if applicable, why we can't strip in the rain, or in general, why you do not apply stain to wet wood. How a week of bad weather can affect scheduling and the ripple affect of pushing back future booked jobs. Virtually all my customers over the years understand and accept these basic facts. I usually give them a projected week window on when we can start the work, with the caveat that it could be delayed due to mother nature.

Unless there is a planned party, most are not sensitive to when the work is done. Certainly not a specific start date.

b.) How do I get homeowners away from wanting constant coddling on the telephone? I want to get folks more on email, so instead of explaining to 15+ homeowners that every day it rains that my schedule changes - this is breaking me. I can deal with individual homeowners with projects worth $1,500 and up - but below the $500 ticket price, this is becoming insanity. Anybody have an email system they use, whether formal or informal, that deals with re-contacting many homeowners at a time?

Aside from the initial on-site meeting with the customer, we do most of our communication via email. The estimate is emailed, schedule updates are emailed, questions are answered mostly by email. I cannot remember the last customer that did not have at least one email address. Maybe you have different demographics, but nearly all our customers want to communicate by email.

It sounds like you may be trying to micro manage future scheduling. This is close to impossible and not needed in wood. We have a handful of customers that are initially scheduled for a targeted week window. If it appears there will be a delay, you email that week's customers late the week prior to let them know with a short explanation. Don't worry about jobs two or more weeks out until the following week.

c.) When is a good time to insert a 'policy' sheet alerting homeowners to certain major policies that need to be followed, i.e. being paid in full upon completion whether homeowner is around or not, cannot dedicate phone time unless it's absolutely important cancellations and notice of arrival will be done by email, etc. Is it too much to show this prior to even getting the job? And if not - I find I don't get any face time, as they'll call back a few days later to say they want to go with me. At which point - I have no real way of instructing them.

You put explicit wording in the contract. Ours reads: "Terms of payment: net on project completion." If you get the impression the customer could be a dead beat, either you do not do the work, get a substantial up front deposit the first day on the job, or tell them explicitly when you meet with them the terms. I guess I'm lucky, but my customers are accustomed to full payment on completion in dealing with contractors.

I would never discourage customer's from calling. I want and like to talk with them. They get my cell when the job is booked.

These are some good comments. I had a gutter cleaning job earlier this year where the guy asked me a date and time - so I gave him a morning - although them being there was never discussed. So something came up that morning and I came during the afternoon instead. To my delight *sarcasm* they left a note cancelling the job saying they waited all morning for me. I was pissed. For a lousy $169 folks expect me to jump through hoops? I should be able to ten jobs like that a day without specific times and dates. One rain day and everything gets shoved.

I guess I will have to work on a policy sheet.

Rick brings up something interesting about contracts. My problem with the initial meeting was that I was spending a lot of time writing up fully worded contracts - and then not getting the job. So I got to the point where if they didn't commit to a job at the initial meeting, I left them a price list basically. Then folks got back in touch with me. Now the problem is, how do you get fully worded contracts back over to be signed and returned without having to make yet another trip. For larger deck restoration work, this isn't such a big deal. But for gutter cleanings - it's almost like it's not worth it, and maybe just invoice them at the end, and hopefully they pay - even though you never got a signature on anything.

Are there apps out there now that can accept hand signatures digitally? So I can just email something, have them sign off on it on there ipad or something? I am getting to the point where I am willing to not service a whole demographic if they aren't keeping up with the times - that's how frustrated I am these days.

Great q&a.

Here is one option.

If your potential customers do email, after you explain everything to them and they still have to make up their minds after you leave, (you present a two part printed template estimate sheet with the terms/conditions (you keep the original), with sig lines that says

"I have recieced a no obligation FREE estimate and the bearer on this certificate may redeem such between mm/dd/yy to mm/dd/yy, if bearer redeems such, this document becomes a legal and binding work order contract and work will be schedule/commence after deposit is received)

Then have them email you with a subject line "Agreed upon your estimate # and terms" the body should have the full address where services are to be provided with the Estimate # , Full Total $XXX , the check# of the deposit (or full amount if legally applicable), and how deposit payment will be delivered (mail/under a mat in zip bag etc).

The prerogative is yours if to start/schedule the job without the check being cashed (this condition would have to be in the printed then signed sheet I talked of earlier)

These are some good comments. I had a gutter cleaning job earlier this year where the guy asked me a date and time - so I gave him a morning - although them being there was never discussed. So something came up that morning and I came during the afternoon instead. To my delight *sarcasm* they left a note cancelling the job saying they waited all morning for me. I was pissed. For a lousy $169 folks expect me to jump through hoops? I should be able to ten jobs like that a day without specific times and dates. One rain day and everything gets shoved.

I guess I will have to work on a policy sheet.

Did you give the customer a courtesy call to let them know that something came up and you would have to be there later than expected?

Did you give the customer a courtesy call to let them know that something came up and you would have to be there later than expected?

Well, that's part of the reason behind this thread - I can't keep up with all the customers to constantly give them courtesy calls. One job goes over a couple of hours - and I have to

give courtesy calls for the remaining 4-5 customers, and then the other 3 I can't get to. And then all the customers that were scheduled the next day all have to get calls - thus sets

off a ripple effect.

The problem isn't a big deal when you are working with $1,500 - $2,500 deck restorations - there are intrinsically fewer customers to juggle. But there is no way I am going to give

all that attention for gutter cleaning customers. And them being there was never discussed in the first place!!!!!! See, that's the problem - once you actually have a business with a

bunch of customers, it becomes harder and harder to hold all their hands constantly.

Well, that's part of the reason behind this thread - I can't keep up with all the customers to constantly give them courtesy calls. One job goes over a couple of hours - and I have to

give courtesy calls for the remaining 4-5 customers, and then the other 3 I can't get to. And then all the customers that were scheduled the next day all have to get calls - thus sets

off a ripple effect.

The problem isn't a big deal when you are working with $1,500 - $2,500 deck restorations - there are intrinsically fewer customers to juggle. But there is no way I am going to give

all that attention for gutter cleaning customers. And them being there was never discussed in the first place!!!!!! See, that's the problem - once you actually have a business with a

bunch of customers, it becomes harder and harder to hold all their hands constantly.

There are programmed services that allow you to form a group of phone numbers, leave a custom voice message (you can change at anytime); with the press of a few buttons on your phone, your voice message can be sent to all the phone # of the group simultaneously, you may edit the group as needed via an internet enabled phone. My sons soccer coach uses it to inform parents of team news/bulletins, cant remember its name now.

I looked it up.

He uses Home | One Call Now (there is a special for sport leagues)

There are a great deal of other companies offering this service (google "voice broadcasting"), this is a great marketing tool, call all your residential customers to let them know of sales and promotions.

Edited by 810F250

Daniel,

Weird. If we did a $170 quote for a job, I'd never even think of going and "meet" the home owner. Today, with overhead expense, gas expense, and time, its a losing proposition.

We've done 5K jobs on wood without ever going to the job site. Pictures and the internet are your friend.

I do not understand. We schedule everything. You need to be organized in order to run things. I did have a gutter business were I would just say we will be out this week but with power washing you should schedule a date that is good for both of you and that way you can make sure they are happy when you are done and you can get your check. It is a pain to call everyone and reschedule but people would rather have it that way and so would I. We do a lot of jobs and some days need to reschedule 15-20 jobs for 2 weeks out and people are not happy but that is what we do. I try to leave a couple openings in the schedule some times. In order to make your power wash customers happy you need to stay in touch with them. Also you can still power wash in the rain. Just watch out for the lightning.