Sign in to follow this  
brian22

Question about service and equipment

I have read a lot about different power washing systems. I have narrowed my search between Power-Tek and Hosty. Although I have not figured out my exact specifications, I like what I have read about both products. One thing that is a little troubling is I don't have a Power-Tek dealer in my area. Hosty on the other hand is an hour or so away. How much do you guys rely on your local dealers? Is maintenance fairly easy on these brands. Is there typical things that go wrong that are easy fixes? I'm not mechanically inclined but I have recently started changing my oil on my JD tractor..lol I look forward to hear your input

Brian Condon

Maine

I have read a lot about different power washing systems. I have narrowed my search between Power-Tek and Hosty. Although I have not figured out my exact specifications, I like what I have read about both products. One thing that is a little troubling is I don't have a Power-Tek dealer in my area. Hosty on the other hand is an hour or so away. How much do you guys rely on your local dealers? Is maintenance fairly easy on these brands. Is there typical things that go wrong that are easy fixes? I'm not mechanically inclined but I have recently started changing my oil on my JD tractor..lol I look forward to hear your input

Brian Condon

Maine

I think someone local if your not able to repair is crucial.

I however have been fortunate not to rely on local dealer.

If I was in your shoes I might go local because that support might make or break you.

Maint is not that tough and there are service schools in various parts of the country.

Understand you will likely pay 25% more local. Hotsy is a great machine and would be my choice if those where the only two.

I personally prefer landa , Hydrotek is also very good and easy to work on.

Some here will tell you that a machine in a machine all the Same parts. True on the cheaper made units. They are all the same stuff, junk. Once you get a landa you will know why they are a Cadillac of machines. Some of mine are over 25 years old and still running. Of course components replaced. The skid itself have held up.

Hydrotek is probably the contractors choice. Most likely wouldn't buy anything less if I was going to do commercial work.

Give Russ or Tom a call. They can help with a Hydrotek. Tom Vogel has a networking meeting each year and you can see the machine in action.

Do not buy anything less than 6 Gpm 3500 psi if your going to do commercial.

The Hotsy is a great machine. New you can get one for 4500 to 5700.

Good luck

Ron ********** text me for questions 480-522-5227 Pressure Washing Institute

There are a few things I don't like about the Hotsy. The angle iron frame is a bit suspect to me. Really, tubing is a lot stronger, and looks better, but that is my personal bias. Also, there pumps, like Landas pumps are proprietary. The Hotsy hawk pumps are a bit more difficult to get parts for, though.

I know nothing about Pressure Tek machines. I am not sure that I have ever seen one.

There are a few things I don't like about the Hotsy. The angle iron frame is a bit suspect to me. Really, tubing is a lot stronger, and looks better, but that is my personal bias. Also, there pumps, like Landas pumps are proprietary. The Hotsy hawk pumps are a bit more difficult to get parts for, though.

I know nothing about Pressure Tek machines. I am not sure that I have ever seen one.

Scott now that you own a landa you clearly see a huge difference from the rest?

Brian, before you start to consider what equipment you should buy, I would suggest you bone up on the other side of washing that most new to this business don't do....The Business Side.

Sales, marketing, website, insurance, etc.

You can have great equipment but that does no good if you cant generate work. You'll soon learn that you wear many hats in your business and to survive you must wear them well.

If you're not mechanically inclined as you stated then by all means buy local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Condon

Maine

Allot of manufactures have good machines. It is simply what you expect from the manufacture that will determine which one to buy. Fittings and the Boiler is usually where they go a little cheaper. Check for the BTU's and the brand and model of the Burner. If you are removing oil, grease or even gum, then heat will be your interest with pressure being a consideration. If you are doing grime, dirt or rinsing, then a bigger GPM pump, lets say over 7 GPM, will be your friend.

We clean Parking Garage Decks / Structures, so we have a high BTU to GPM ratio. About 186,000 BTU's per GPM is the ratio for us. The average pressure washer is about 110,000 BTU's per GPM. Your needs maybe different for your line of work, but consider this:

It is always nice to have that extra Pressure, Heat or Volume of Water in a pressure washer in any type of cleaning that you may specialize in. You may not need to use it, but if the need arises, you have it.

We own and use Hydro-Tek's and LOVE them. True work horses.

Have gotten excellent service from the authorized dealers we go to for service as well, and the company supports the products well.

That's our experience.

Beth

We own and use Hydro-Tek's and LOVE them. True work horses.

Have gotten excellent service from the authorized dealers we go to for service as well, and the company supports the products well.

That's our experience.

Beth

Hydro Tek's are GREAT Machines. Everyone I know who has one loves them.

My website is built...I still have a few minor changes I want to make. I'm all set with insurance, but Matt told me I could save about $600.00 with his guy when I go to the seminar in March. I have an appointment the first of the year with a Copy center that will help me design my flyers and set up a campaign for direct mail. I plan on going out and starting to sell the middle of February. I agree you need the customers first and I'm trying to prepare the best way I can. But with me being prepared I was curious how crucial it was to have a local dealer. Thanks for all the tips!

Brian Condon

Maine

My website is built...I still have a few minor changes I want to make. I'm all set with insurance, but Matt told me I could save about $600.00 with his guy when I go to the seminar in March. I have an appointment the first of the year with a Copy center that will help me design my flyers and set up a campaign for direct mail. I plan on going out and starting to sell the middle of February. I agree you need the customers first and I'm trying to prepare the best way I can. But with me being prepared I was curious how crucial it was to have a local dealer. Thanks for all the tips!

Brian Condon

Maine

Brian, Check here with the others where they get their insurance from, Just so everyone knows, Brian got a qoute for insurance that was about 600.00 higher than what I pay, I suggested Joe Walters to him and that he might save about 600 bucks.

If anyone has lower insurance options, please post them for all of us

Brian Condon

Maine

Just seen your from maine , your close to a distributor that has a networking event close. He also sells Hydrotek , not sure if he offers service yet but he sells the machines and has a seminar.

I'm sure he will explain how to attend I don't have the link.

www.contractorevents.com

www.nationalcleaningexpo.com

These are some other options for future events.

Check the new York or pa event out.

There's a group in nj that have thrown a few from time to time.

Shout if you have other question I'm always around.

Just seen your from maine , your close to a distributor that has a networking event close. He also sells Hydrotek , not sure if he offers service yet but he sells the machines and has a seminar.

I'm sure he will explain how to attend I don't have the link.

www.contractorevents.com

www.nationalcleaningexpo.com

These are some other options for future events.

Check the new York or pa event out.

There's a group in nj that have thrown a few from time to time.

Shout if you have other question I'm always around.

Thanks Ron, Brian is coming to the 2012 http://pwseminar.comPressure Washing Seminar

Also, our distributorship does provide service and repair. We perform warranty work on select brands as well.

Matt

If your machine is not working, then neither are you. Even the best machine can and will break down. For your first machine, I would suggest local due to Murphy's Law. There have been a bunch of excellent suggestions made, but educating yourself to all aspects of your business will be your best investment in your business.

I use a Hydro-Tek (8 gpm/3000 psi) rig and love it. Whatever machine you get, I would suggest 110 volt AC over the 12 volt DC. I have all my service done at my local Landa dealer and I can tell you that, since they don't see a lot of DC machines (I'm referring to hot water machines. The engine/pump will be 12 volt, but the burner should be AC.) it takes them longer to troubleshoot and they are less likely to have parts in stock.

Hope this helps!