Sign in to follow this  
desi

avioding window

I avoid it like the plague..LOL I know it's a good source of additional income but I started out doing window cleaning and gutter cleaning. As my company grew and we got more clients I wasn't able to keep up with the appointments. We also started getting a lot of low ballers doing them for almost half my price! So I slowly fazed it out over a couple of years by charging more for window cleaning, then I just gave that part of the company away... We still provide gutter cleaning, power washing and our other services for those clients but we don't have to follow such a rigid schedule, and it freed us up to do other things that we make more money at with less work. If you want to know more about cleaning windows or some tips, give me a call and let me know.

I include windows with the house wash, but I avoid doing them by themselves. Nobody is willing to pay the price I think it's worth to gather the equipment and go to the site.

I recently did a couple of window jobs that were very profitable. $400and $300 with 5 hours on first one and 3 on second. I try to get the customer to tell me details about the windows and how many there are before I go and estimate. If I think its going to work out to less than $100 for the job I decline to estimate. The ones I do go out and estimate, I land a good percentage and end up with other work from it. Same with the gutter cleaning.

There can be really good money in window cleaning if your fast at it and make your own chemicals you can do it with very little overhead at all. My problem was setting up all the appointments for it. Now the window cleaning industry has really grown and expanded far more than I ever thought it would. I used to use squeeges and the usual professional tools of the trade and I could run them out pretty quickly. I used to be able to do a set of double hung windows with storms inside, outside and put them back together again in 90 seconds when I was doing them. You can wear yourself out cleaning windows though, my knees started bugging me from going up and down the ladders too much so I don't miss it!

Gutter cleaning can wear you out also but I definetly prefer it to doing windows and we make a lot more money on gutter cleaning than I ever did doing windows. Even more than power washing!

I started my biz 17 years ago (windows) . Its the hardest for a worker to get good at and to make money off of them ( residential). You have to stay in good physical condition to do this work- I offer exterior windows after a house wash and I still do some this time of year when it gets cold. But I'm starting to lean towards gutters for the month of nov and dec.

We do windows mostly in post con cleaning and dont really look for the work unless its an add-on service.

I got really fed up with windows lately because of a customer that nit-picked the heck out of them and then was refusing to pay after all our companies efforts to satisfy them. The tiniest smudge in a corner and a slight streak here...really! This client put up tape to indicate where the issues were and even afterwards still didnt think we did a good enough job (it rained in between the time we initially did them). The client paid for the work but I am sure they will look for a window cleaning company next time and I am fine with that!

We have had customers trying to get us to clean in the cracks and crevices of storm windows as well as inside and outside tracks,sills etc.

After expaining that we are cleaning the "windows" and not the Framework they would drop the usual "well, the last company I hired did it!" And the question going through my mind at that moment was "Why aren't THEY here doing them again THIS time?"

I love cleaning things but sometimes there are those people you just cant please at all.

In my book, windows are a pane! nyuck, nyuck

Rod~

We advertise to clean windows and It has helped with cash flow for the business. When it's slow I give bids... When it is busy - I tell them that I don't know when I can get there or I tell them that my window cleaning slots are full at this time. Our window prices start at a minimum of 200.00 per house and up