Sign in to follow this  
decker

Pergola Staining...Alas

Question

I seem to be getting quite a few calls this year for pergolas. I can't figure out how to stain the top of these things, as it seems impossible to access. I do all my staining with brush and pad. I figured I could stick a brush/pad on an extension pole, but it would still be very difficult and time consuming to do the top part of the pergola. I guess the main issue is accessing the middle part of the pergola and doing all the detail work (like the side of the 1x2s that lay across the top). Any tips/advice? How would you price these? post-5057-137772421323_thumb.jpg

post-5057-13777242126_thumb.jpg

post-5057-137772421467_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

You can climb up there and lay two 2x12's side by side with each other across the top to walk (or kneel) on while you do the staining. As long as you span the gap between the stringers, the weight will be supported by your 2x12's and the stringers, not the 1x2's. Done this before painting different things. Others may chime in with different ideas.

Great idea Adam! Just to make sure I understand, you're saying to line 2 boards up across the longer side of the pergola? My only question is wouldn't I want to line them up with the grain so I can get an entire 1x2 stained in one shot, as opposed to doing parts of each 1x2?

DJ,

Do a search here on TGS on a user name, if I recall correctly, "Shane". Was/is affiliated with WoodSavers in Texas. Shane and crew did a ton of pergolas and posted numerous pictures of jobs.

In short, they prepped with a lot of plastic sheeting, then used an HVLP sprayer to apply stain. Gotta' admit, their prep and process was superb and probably saved a lot of labor.

We've done a share, and spray as much as possible. Still takes time, prep, and effort, and you need a calm, no wind day.

Edited by RPetry
spelling

Adam,

The 2x12s can only sit on the 1x2, so are you saying to put the 2x12s on top of the 1x2s only in places where there are support beams underneath?

Rick,

I saw the paint booth Shane makes. Looks pretty awesome. I don't think that's a possibility for me though. Spraying would be lovely for this job, but I have never sprayed before so I don't think it would be a time to start on a difficult project like this one.

In picture #2 you're facing the thing. Put your ladder on the front, climb up, and lay your 2x12's across left to right. Two ten foot boards together will give you enough room to stand comfortably, or kneel as need be. While sitting on them, you should be able to easily reach a row of three or four of those 1x2's to stain them. Even if you were spraying, you'd still have to get up top to make sure you got it all with that thing.

The ones on the bottom are running to and from the house, those can be stained from the bottom on 3 sides. Then you get the top of them from the top, the others you'll have to do 3 sides of them from the top. Run your 2x12's left to right. All you need is a walk board to get it done. You can slide them forward towards the house, stain that area, and slide them back as you go. You should have no problem standing on the 1x2's at times, as long as you're standing over the structural stringers while moving your boards around.

It's harder to explain in text than it is to do it. With a sprayer I could be up there and done within 10 to 15 minutes. You can use a pump up garden sprayer depending on the type of stain you're applying too and it will go pretty quick.

... Rick,

I saw the paint booth Shane makes. Looks pretty awesome. I don't think that's a possibility for me though. Spraying would be lovely for this job, but I have never sprayed before so I don't think it would be a time to start on a difficult project like this one.

DJ,

Agree with that. A pergola is not the best choice for learning how to accurately and neatly spray stain!

pergolas are time consuming - $700 to a $1000 average here. In a perfect world you would spray them all but that never seems to happen (wind!)