Sign in to follow this  
jgautreau

Is this a good deal?

Question

I am going to purchase a 5X10 single axle open trailer rig, with a rapid reel hose reel, a 225 gal tank, 150' of hose, a wand, and a TUFF TNT pressure washer 4.7 gpm, 3500psi, 20hp Honda Engine with 50 hours on it for $3995. What do you think?

17 answers to this question

buy the rig and take it to somplace to add an extra axle as that 225 gal tank will bend it the first you drag it over a speed bump. Is it a hot washer?

Hey Joe,

Per our conversation last night. I think you should also get an extra axle installed. You will eventually have to carry water at some point. Look into getting and enclosed unit as you grow. It looks better and for security reason of your equiptment. Plus you will have a rolling bilboard. I get a majority of my call from my trailer zooming up and down the freeway.

Degraffreed

Thanks guys, yes it is hot water. Can you install a second axle on such a small trailer? I may check into buying another trailer if that is the case. I thought it would be able to handle 225 gal. Thanks Degraffreed I enjoyed our chat, it was very helpful and informative.

You might be able to get a shop to move the current axle back a little to accomodate two axles. I have seen trailers this size with two. Sounds like a good setup...I"m jealous. I want hot water now.

Assuming that the single axle trailer has a GVW of 3000 lbs., and the trailer weighs about 1000 lbs., you can tow up to 2000 lbs. A hot water washer weighs about 750 lbs., + reels, hose, chems, and 225 gallons of water weighs almost 1900 lbs. You can see that ithe trailer is overmatched.

Joe,

It will get you started,you can buy a 5gpm pump ready to install for a few hundred $$$ and have what you want.

Also keep in mind the location of the unit.If this is the one you are interested in ,see if you can get a BBS member that lives near the area of the unit to check it out for you.By looking at the pics it appears that everything is pretty much new and it would be a great deal.

Seems like a good deal.. But to echo the above.. If you intend to haul any significant amount of water you definitely need another axle and a set of electric brakes.

You may find that this trailer will be relegated to hauling a 4-wheeler, lawnmower, go-kart or such and you will see yourself with a new trailer in short order.

FWIW, I would estimate on a PFA or SWAG method at about $300-$500 for upgrading the current trailer,

• 2 new tires and wheels -$125.00
  • 1 new axle with hubs- $130.00
  • 1 electric brake drum kit - $100.00
  • 1 tandem axle spring kit - $50.00
  • electric brake breakaway safety kit- $50.00
  • Labor, including wiring - $250.00 - more or less depending on your town

whereas a spec build open trailer with 2 axles, brakes, and a 6x12 deck would run a tad over $1100 brand new.

Cujo

Cujo,

Okay, I'm familiar with the term "SWAG" but what's PFA? I can guess that it contains the words "pure" and "assumption" but not entirely sure. Care to clue me in? You can PM it if necessary, or allude to it.

SWAG just sounds really cool.

I checked with a local company and they would probably be willing to trade my single axle for a tandem axle 6X10 with me kicking in a few hundred bucks. I think that is what I will do when I have the $$$ to do it.