Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Insurance Cancelled

I spoke to several agents and asked if I could be classified under Janitorial or Landscaper, since they are more easily classified.

The answer was yes, we can cover you under anything you want, but in the event that you need to file a claim, then you might very well be left out in the cold.

Unless pressure cleaning is a small add on to another business, such as the ones above, then I was told it is highly advisable to be classified correctly for what you do all the time. This will come in handy if you ever need to file a claim. That is why we have insurance isn't it? In case we ever need it.

I live in NJ, which I believe is still *THE* highest insurance premium state (yes, even higher than NY City). So let me just come out and say what we all know and feel:

INSURANCE IS A LICENSE TO STEAL

We all get letters every year, "Your rates might go up. Your rates will go up. Your rates DID go up." God forbid you need to make a claim, no matter how minute it might be--We should all be dentists cause it's easier to pull teeth then to get money on your claim.

Thank you for letting me vent.

-JC

I think your sentiments are shared by many.

The liability portion is a big risk and could wipe out any business.

It's the old addage: Insurance is only good when you need it!

for all your insurence needs in one spot,car home.business....

we found thur our oganization (PDCA) that FIRST NIAGARA, Risk Management group had the best overall savings for All your insurence needs.

Contact person is Irvin P. Peterson phone # 716 505 2691 fax # 716 505 0375

give them a try.

Bob Valentino

Ok.. I know there are posts on other forums where we are discussing What We Charge and How We Charge. I'm posting here because there is definately a correlation between what we charge and what we ARE charged.

I see your posts in other states that you're paying $400 a year, $1200 a year, etc for insurance. I'm paying $2000 a year for General Liability (only a $1,000,000 policy) and whack on ANOTHER $2000 a year for Workman's Comp (required by law). I had to shop around a long time to find rates that low. I have insurance quotes for that same coverage closer to $6000+. I dont know how fuel prices are in other states, but NJ is back up to $1.60+ for a gallon of regular 87 octane and by all accounts, the media is telling us that it *WILL* go higher in the summer months (remember last year's Labor Day boost: $1.80+ for regular). So I see the $1 per foot per story which seems to be the "standard" in the industry.. But that $1 per foot isnt going as far in NJ as it might be in, say, Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Any thoughts??

-JC

JC,

You know what they say - Location, location, location.

However in the context of this discussion, location may not be an advantage.

You hit it on the head when you talk about the cost of doing business being different from region to region. While you pay $2K a year for your policy in NJ,

I probably only pay about half that in southern Ohio. While fuel costs are at $1.60 in NJ, my price is more in line with $1.45. (Gas prices are strange because they can vary as much as $0.30-$0.40 on the same day from station to station even in my city, but that's another subject).

Workers Comp. can vary from 7% in one state to 19% in another state for the same trade. Same can be said for commercial vehicle insurance - while you may pay $3K a year on your truck in NJ (considering all records to be equal), my cost is half of that. Same differences can exist for vehicle license tags as well as chemical shipping costs, CPA fees, attorney fees, along with many other business expenses and OH costs.

The flip side of operating costs is how much your market will bear for the same service in different regions. While cost of living is higher and operating costs are higher, chances are you may be able to charge more for your services.

There are also what I call as market limiters. I can drive a hundred miles south of where I do business and the market will only allow 60%-70% of what I can charge while the cost of business is almost identical.

That is why as a business, it's critical that you know your operating costs and your break even point, along with knowing your market area, competition and have a good handle on your market limitations.

Guest Sopowerclean

My insurance is through Erie Ins. I pay 500 per year. It has 1mill cover, 2 mill agr. and covers 8000 worth of misc equipment plus 2 trailers against theft and fire. My agent said it will go up some, but nowhere near what some of you say you are paying. Check with your agents and see if they can get an Erie 5 star Contractors policy.

Lawrence Carter

FUEL PRICES, biggest rip off around.

We here in CA where the refineries are pay more then anyplace else, we support the shipping and lower prices you guys pay for it.

Is it fair, NO but what can we do, NOTHING.

Reg is around or above $2.00

Super much more but don't use it.

Diesel also $2.00 plus

Red dye is going for about $1.65.

Should we surcharge the customers? most companies are doing it, UPS, FedEx and almost all others tack it on, if we tried it the customer would say YOUR FIRED.

My insurance is going up, the notice said as much as 30% more, enough to break the bank. Can I pass that on to the customers, nope as those low ballers again would win.

They talk about things going down, yeah right, but the going down is what we are left with if anything.

Thinking of selling our house and finding an unused CAVE to live in:)

Okay, It's time for my company insurance renewal and I'm shopping around.

I have contacted Erie and Joe walters already.

What companies do you all use that you would recommend I contact?

I will shop them all out with the same insurance I have now and let you all know what I found to be the best deal.

My company also provides other services besides just power washing so it may be a bit different but I'm still willing to share my results with you all.

Erie's 5 star contractors policy does not cover everything I'm interested in. Today's society is just too sue happy for my coverage needs but I will shop that out also.

I'm going to post this thread on every board I know of and ask that everyone email or fax me in their suggested companies for me to check into. This way I can get as much information as possible.

Henry Bockman

cell 240 274 0300

email henryshousework@aol.com

fax 301-353-1677

I've been calling numerous agencies here in NJ, noone wants to TOUCH the word powerwashing. I found ONE agency, that is 1million coverage for $900/yr. locally in a surrounding town of mine. I'm looking for a quote on workmans comp now. Any price estimates for workmans comp?

Try contacting servicemagic.com Become one of their contractors and you can get in on their insurance plans. So far, that's the best one I've found anywhere for complete coverage on all my insurance needs. (in my area)

Henry

I'm paying $1500/yr for 1 mil liability, 2 mil ag, and 20k in equip. This was the cheapest I could find 1 year ago. I was planning on doing some shopping, however maybe it's not worth it after reading the horror stories in this thread?

I know one common denominator with some people paying really low insurance and others paying really high is the state in which they live. Mike Cappa has the best rate I've heard so far, however his company will not/cannot insure folks in MI.

Workmans comp is handled differently in every state. Here in Michigan it's sold by independant insurance agents. However the rates, and fees etc, are predetermined by a state agency. So no matter where you buy it, the rates will be the same.

I'm sure other states are different.