Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What kind of wood have you worked on?

What types of wood have you worked on?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What types of wood have you worked on?

• Pressure treated lumber
    • Cedar
    • Redwood
    • Ipe
    • Walnut
    • Oak
    • Other (list below please)
    • Teak
    • Cypress

Question

What types of wood have you worked with? What have been your biggest challenges about working with them? Vote for as many species as you need to, and share your restoration thoughts about the differences here.

Beth:cool:

13 answers to this question

Primary wood used in this area is Western Red Cedar from Canada. Very little PT wood.

I think the biggest hassle with Cedar is its ability to Fur under just the slightest of pressure. It's just going to happen or I feel you are not getting it clean. Don't get me wrong here, I don't mean when it furs it's a giant fur ball, but will fur to a slight degree. The older the cedar the more it will fur up. It's a given some sanding and defurring will take place with every deck.

Reed

I just wanted to add that besides the ones listed above, that there seems to be a HUGE growing market in restoring teak. There is a large amount of outdoor furniture that people need restored. Just thought I'd bring it up as it's popularity is growing in this area.

Another wood I see used quite a bit in this area is Cypress. It is a beautiful wood, resistant to termites/insects, cleans easily, and isn't that expensive.

I just cleaned and brightened my deck as a learning project for wood restoration, and will be sealing it with Readyseal as soon as the weather cooperates. If the rain had held off another 4 hours this past weekend, it would have been done there. I'll post pics as soon as I have it done. It is almost entirely cypress, and looks almost as good now after brightening as it did the day I built it 4 years ago. It has never been sealed, and as you can see I have 3 planks or so to replace before I seal it.

Robert:

It appears a lot of the pictures got screwed up in the transition from one server to another...that's how I understand it, anyway. Not sure what the fix for it is...

Nice fence, BTW...I wish more folks here cared about the appearance of their fences...for the most part, people are perfectly happy to build a fence and let it weather and grey...

Robert,

He didn't do a thing. I spend about two days reattaching photos to threads, only to find out that the DNS was not done propagating and many found their way to other posts.

I'll delete them from the above posts. Please reattach your photos below in this thread Mike.

Thanks,

Beth

PT , Cedar ( western red , white, port orford , yellow ), mahog. (red , white ), ipe' , doug fir , teak furniture . Cedar is the biggest pain in the

bum. For got Redwood.

Not a problem on the picture thing...

I do not restore many fences here in Bend as well... most of the fences I do seal are New Construction as where you are most people do not like to spend the money on fences.

Originally posted by oneness

Robert:

It appears a lot of the pictures got screwed up in the transition from one server to another...that's how I understand it, anyway. Not sure what the fix for it is...

Nice fence, BTW...I wish more folks here cared about the appearance of their fences...for the most part, people are perfectly happy to build a fence and let it weather and grey...