Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Ladder Safety

this is what I was searching for, just got sidetracked.

jon....the problem with that ladder is you can only do one type of job with it...always best to get a multi purpose one if your going to lash out

Besides the normal "rules" for ladder safety ....there are 2 more that I believe in...

1. Since the only thing between my ass and the ground is the ladder...I only buy the best with stabilizers.

2. I always secure the ladder when doing a 2nd story deck. Those nylon ties you can get at the hardware store at various sizes up to 3 feet long and very thick. I buy ones that are long enough to tie a rung to the rail. When done a pair of side cutters cuts right through the tie. I've even attached a 2x2 to the ladder with the same type of c-bolts used on the stabalizer and used long deck screws to secure the ladder.

I've only had one accident (which is one to many) with an employee who had the ladder too vertical on the house. I had warned him and made him move the ladder a few times but it seemed he would always put it the same way when I wasnt right there. Needless to say...I came around the side of the house just to see him falling backwards with the ladder. He hit the ground but thank god wasnt injured. Its amazing when you find that your employee lacks the intelligence that god gave a paint can. Later that day I found out he was swatting bees while on the ladder and caused it to fall backwards. Jim now owns his own sign business and recently I washed an area of a building he was going to install a sign. Watching him on a ladder now is quite different. He is totally into ladder safety. He told me that day he fell that everything I ever told him about ladders went through his mind on the way down. Hell of a way to learn I guess.

Andy

Beth,

Sorry, Cant remember where I read it at. Any way what you said about the second man makes sense. I dont like holding a ladder for someone, nor do I like it when someone is holding it for me. I do however think about what Im gonna do if I fall, since I work alone. And am very carefull.

My father recently fell off a ladder and was lucky my mom heard the thump. Only broke a rib.

There is a diference in size of businesses represented here. For those who run crews, this kind of issue is probably higher on the list of priorities. I have always been concerned for my employees more than myself, (when I had employees anyway.) Runs back to my military days. If I fell it would be one thing, but I would be devastated if someone I was responsible for was hurt. Not to mention the OSHA fines and legal liability.

I've had a little problems with the ladder stabilizer I bought from a local store here, I was wondering if someone could point me in another direction or a possible link to a good selection. I am looking for some that would work with werner fiberglass extension ladders. Thanks.

I've always gotten ladder stabalizers from home depot or a roofing center. Now someone mentioned using the plastic tie things to secure the latter to the house. We use bungy cords. In some cases they can be wrapped around the stabalizer, then just use the hook around the nails holding the gutter up. Put one on each side or on in the middle of the ladder. This will stop the wind from shifting the ladder or even worse, you kicking the ladder when you step off. I saw a roofer do that a couple weeks ago with a 40' ladder. He had a guy footing the ladder but it still fell strait backwards on a car across the street.

I've had my own share of falls from stupidity also and I agree with Jon, I'm always more worried about my guys than myself. I'm sure we all are in this day and age, that also shows were good managers and care about our people though!

I've always felt that it's best to NOT depend on someone holding the ladder, because I really don't think they could hold the ladder if it decided to shift. Too long, too topheavy, whatever, I'm not going to depend on someone holding me up, especially on a ladder longer than maybe 20 feet.

Rod , you are correct in the way to determine angle of the ladder, it's called the firemans method. One other thing you may want to carry on your truck is 2 pieces of 2x12. It is used under the feet of the ladder when the ground could become or is soft. I had one of the feet start to sink into the ground causing the ladder to lean to one side. I was about 12' off the ground and made it down before ladder fell over. You also don't want to lean out to one side past the middle of your chest. As for the person on the ground. If you need someone to hold the ladder it's not safe to climb. The person on the ground has more of a chance of getting hurt by falling objects than the person on the ladder.

I have worked for a utility company for 17 yrs climbing ladders the entire time. The first 8 years I worked alone carrying the ladder everyday and everywere. Placing it on cable in the middle of a span , on poles , and on houses. Now I'm not saying I didn't do some things that were completly safe. But I do try because I am the person that is going to get hurt and have to suffer it I don't do it safe.