Sign in to follow this  
YVPW

Exoctic Hardwood Supplier

Question

I was wondering who you all would recommend as a supplier to purchase ipe or other hardwoods from. My parents are wanting to build a deck and I've designed it. Seeems like I remember Jim or someone up North mentioning a few years back of some suppliers that had the hardwoods for around the same price as pressure treated. Any help is definitely appreciated

10 answers to this question

Probably ipe, but not set on it. All depends on the price.....Good to see you still around Jim. You staying busy now? Which hardwood would you recommend? Beth or Rick what do y'all think? I like the lighter colored woods...

Probably ipe, but not set on it. All depends on the price.....Good to see you still around Jim. You staying busy now? Which hardwood would you recommend? Beth or Rick what do y'all think? I like the lighter colored woods...

How bout Balau decking ? Thought it was cheaper and more golden?

jason , very busy and taking care of a lot of ipe. I personaly like Cambara because it can absorb the most oil of all the hardwoods and i mean a lot. There is a photo here somewhere of the deck ( deck castle in the wood care threads).

Have seen many woods on decks, not Balau. Furniture, yes to that with Balau. There is tons of ipe around here, and a fair bit of mahogany. (deck wise)

Beth

What do I know I'm in land of Pine and composite decking down here in Texas!

Just going off Google search here Jason, but there are a few in NC that sell. I know of a couple yards in the Raleigh area but here are some that might be a little closer to you...not sure though:

The Hardwood Store of North Carolina

NC Deck

ipedeckingnorthcarolina.com, Ipe lumber, ipe wood lumber, ipe decking lumber, ipe

Ipe Decking | Ipe Decking Source | Ironwood decking | Ipe Wood

... Beth or Rick what do y'all think? I like the lighter colored woods...

Jason,

I'm a bit partial to ipe' as it is the toughest wood I know of. It will last for decades with little maintenance. However, ipe' is naturally a dark colored wood, and any penetrating oil will stain dark.

If possible, I would seek out a lumber yard with stock and hand select each ipe' board. Bowed ipe' is a nightmare to install. In addition, if the budget allows, I would seriously consider using 2 x 4 dimensional lumber for the deck flooring. 1" or 5/4 x 6 will cup a bit over time and 2 x 4's seem to hold stain longer. I have no idea why ...

Thanks for the help everyone. Im gonna keep looking and try to make a decision. I like the light color of Garapa. Whats everyones thoughts on it?