Sign in to follow this  
mike c

Wax for Vinyl Siding

Question

What are you using for wax on vinyl siding and how are you applying it? I'm DSing Simple Cherry and bleach for housewash. Just want to get idea on dilution ratios and any brand you have experience with. Are you having any luck upselling? Thanks

18 answers to this question

Russ Johnson is the supplier of choice. Downstream.

We don't try to upsell but we do offer an upgraded "protectant" package that includes gutter scrub and wax application for the more discerning client. You know, the one that has put it off too long and feels guilty, like they can somehow make it up to their house by spending extra money. Or the person that really wants to go that extra mile and have their house given a bit more attention. Or the person that wants their house to stay cleaner longer.

We don't push it. We inform most customers that we have the higher level of service but let them decide if it fits their needs.

Upselling for wax, to me. seems like a rip off to the customer? We include it for free.

But that just me. The cost to add it is just so small. Lot's of guys charge extra for it. More money in your pocket, and extra value to the HO.

Down the road I may charge extra for it.

Upselling for wax, to me. seems like a rip off to the customer? We include it for free.

But that just me. The cost to add it is just so small. Lot's of guys charge extra for it. More money in your pocket, and extra value to the HO.

Down the road I may charge extra for it.

That's part of the question. If it you are doing it for free, what is it costing you to include it. And if it is extra value to the homeowner why is it a ripoff to the customer?

As far as upsells go, I would much rather just go wash a house and then go wash another one somewhere else. It's true that you can make more money if you pile your plate higher, but it can take too long when you get bogged down in too many services.

I include wax in my best package. It takes at most 10 minutes to apply to a large house. My spray wax has a 1000-1 ratio and the 4l i have lasts for years. I forget were i got it from.

Please ad your signature. House rules.

Thx and welcome.

A local guy around here uses wax, and I have cleaned homes he has waxed ~3-5 years ago and many of them have staining in specific areas. right next to shutters, around doors and under eaves.

I made it appoint to ask the HO if they have ever used this CO when I find homes that have been "ruined" and they almost always say "yes, now that you mentioned that, they did apply a wax" - I'm never offering it or using it..its a waste of time money and potential hazard.

Not to mention, I have cleaned homes that were waxed 1.5 years ago and theere was still mold on the siding... The wax just made it impossible for the Sh to stick to the vinyl.

A local guy around here uses wax, and I have cleaned homes he has waxed ~3-5 years ago and many of them have staining in specific areas. right next to shutters, around doors and under eaves.

I made it appoint to ask the HO if they have ever used this CO when I find homes that have been "ruined" and they almost always say "yes, now that you mentioned that, they did apply a wax" - I'm never offering it or using it..its a waste of time money and potential hazard.

Not to mention, I have cleaned homes that were waxed 1.5 years ago and theere was still mold on the siding... The wax just made it impossible for the Sh to stick to the vinyl.

I respectfully suggest that perhaps your education in house wax is not yet complete.

Sort of like me and long jumping. I saw a guy on TV that tried to jump over a pole and he couldn't make it. That must prove that it can't be done.

I respectfully suggest that perhaps your education in house wax is not yet complete.

Sort of like me and long jumping. I saw a guy on TV that tried to jump over a pole and he couldn't make it. That must prove that it can't be done.

I'm not saying it can't be done properly, but from seeing the results of the "wax" option of other local contractors, I'm over hesitant to even look into it as an offered service.

My other hesitation lies in the fact I clean windows on 70% of my jobs, the last thing i want to clean off a window is Any type of wax.

Good luck with your long jumping endeavors.

We charge an additional 25.00 for wax on any house wash, wax goes directly into the wash mix. Along with the wax treatment the customer gets an 18 month warranty against mold or mildew regrowth on the siding. I would say 90-95% of homeowners pay the extra 25.

Pls complete your signature line. It's required.

I knew that was coming!

I actually made several attempts yesterday to add my singature. I can see it posted on my profile under "Preview" but it's not showing up on the general pages.

UPDATE.. I see my signature now :cool:

Edited by xxdbesse

I include wax in my best package. It takes at most 10 minutes to apply to a large house. My spray wax has a 1000-1 ratio and the 4l i have lasts for years. I forget were i got it from.

I'll bet I know where you got it from!

John, I used to think the same thing, but when I asked the manufacturer I was told it does not. Let's keep in mind folks that the word wax, has some conotations that may not be exact for our purposes. The 'wax" is not truely a wax in the traditonal sense like when you wax your car (by hand). These wax's that are being added to your solutuions are usually what is considered a "cheater wax" and do not contain silicone or wax. It has beading action agents, and is a drying aid that gets rid of water quick, and leaves a wax-like shine to the surface. Think of it more like an oil than a wax. It shouldn't build-up on the surface and you should expect it to wear from the surface over time. Just like when you run your car throught the car-wash you do not expect the wax you add to last anywhere like when you wax your car by hand. That's because they are not the same type wax being applied. The "wax" being added to your cleaning solutions can be applied in the wash, or in the rinse. That is up to you. Most contractors I have seen use it in the wash because it works - and it speeds up the time on the job. You give your customer additional shine to their home, but you will want to do it again when it gets dirty and they call you back to clean again....