Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Pool Chlorine Prices

Question

Finally found someone in my area that will sell me pool chlorine, but it sounds that he is overpriced compared to what I have read from this board. This guy wants me to pay $2.50 per gallon for a 15 gallon or 55 gallon container. He also wants a $35 deposit on each 15 gallon container, or a $45 deposit on the 55 gallon drum. At these prices I may be better to stick with the Walmart bleach, even though it is a hassle. What does everyone think of these prices.

Hopewell,Va. 23860

Thanks, Johnicon9.gif

23 answers to this question

I get it delivered to my shop. I order a pallet (48 - 5 gallon) at a time so I don't run out and it is worth the vendors while. I've not asked if they will sell in smaller amounts. I pay $9.50 per 5 and have a $6 deposit on each container.

hope this helps.

It seems a bit steep, but may have to do with supply and demand in your area. I was paying .79 per gallon, but it recently went up to .95 per g. I believe there was some sort of shortage which caused the price to go up here. I buy mine from Ace right down the street at which I pull around back and fill my tanks directly.

It seems a bit steep, but may have to do with supply and demand in your area. I was paying .79 per gallon, but it recently went up to .95 per g. I believe there was some sort of shortage which caused the price to go up here. I buy mine from Ace right down the street at which I pull around back and fill my tanks directly.

Pretty big fire in Conyers, GA awhile back that affected regional supplies I believe. Biolab is a pretty producer of bleaching products.

$12.50 is exactly what I pay for a five gallon container also, with a break of another dollar per container if I buy five at a shot. I tried negotiating lower, but he told me thats what all his contractor's pay and some of them use alot more than I do. Everything is pricier here though. Chlorine represents 2% of what I charge on my average housewash so for me, shopping around to save two dollars here and two dollars there is pointless.

John,

I drive an hour (Chesapeake to Yorktown) to buy my chlorine from Harper & Co. I pay $2/gal, or $30/15 gal with a $30 fee on the drum.

When I first started buying from them earlier this year, I was paying about $1.25/gal. If I bought in larger quantities (150 gals) and had a storefront, I could get free delivery.

I pay on average $2/gal for 10.5% from the local superstore (like Walmart). No deposit, disposable plastic jugs, four gallons in a cardboard case.

The pool store sells 12.5% for $2.50/gal by the four gallon case, with a $5 deposit.

I don't like to use bleach because 6% is too low of a concentration when mixed for xjetting. In a pinch, if I only need a couple gallons for stain removal on concrete, I'll pick it up at the local dollar store.

I have not looked at buying drums because I don't have the shop space, and I don't want to have to deal with pumping into smaller containers.

I usually buy the 10.5% from the superstore, 4-5 cases at a time to keep it fresh.

I get it for $2.25 a gallon in throw away containers. It is 12.5%. It usually doesn't matter the price for it. If I wash a house I will use two gallons max(unless it is a big house). I also use two gallons of house wash. My total chem bill for washing a house is less then $7. I get on average per house of around $225. My chems are around 3% of my gross.

I pay less than $1 a gallon for 12.5% Sodium hypochlorite in 55 gal drums delivered no deposit.Real cheap here in Houston but we do have tons of chem companies around.

Dominion Chemical in Petersburg,Va used to let you fill 55 gal drums (you supply your own drum) for under $2\gal or Pressure Works on Roseneath Rd. in Richmond,VA will sell a 55 gal drum for $110 and offers free delivery for $300 or more.

Hope that helps .

Mark

Here where I live there is a Pool Supply store that sells 10.5% for $5.99 a gallon in the throw away containers. When you buy in bulk, there is only one place here that will sell it for $1.95 per gallon. If you do not have a container then there is a $50.00 deposit on the drum until it is returned. I wish I could find it cheaper.

pool chlorine here in FL is typically much cheaper than elsewhere. It seems to get more expensive the further north you go.

Here, I'm paying $1.10/gallon for 10.5%.

When comparing prices, you have to compare, and adjust for strength. Some places sell 10.5%, some 12%, and some 15%.

Dominion Chemical in Petersburg,Va used to let you fill 55 gal drums (you supply your own drum) for under $2\gal or Pressure Works on Roseneath Rd. in Richmond,VA will sell a 55 gal drum for $110 and offers free delivery for $300 or more.

Hope that helps .

Mark

Thanks Mark, I will give Dominiion Chemical a call first, and see what they can do for me. Thanks guys for all the help.

John

I use 10.5% also. I don't think I have ever scene 12 or 15% sold in this area.

I'm assuming it is a state regulation thing as far as the strength of pool chlorine. Everyone I know in FL uses 10.5%.

There's a cleaning supply company here that sells 15% sodium hypchlorite (not sold as pool chlorine), but it is expensive...It works out to well over $2.00/gallon, and they only sell it in 15 gallon drums with, of course, a deposit on the drum of $15.00

John,

I drive an hour (Chesapeake to Yorktown) to buy my chlorine from Harper & Co. I pay $2/gal, or $30/15 gal with a $30 fee on the drum.

When I first started buying from them earlier this year, I was paying about $1.25/gal. If I bought in larger quantities (150 gals) and had a storefront, I could get free delivery.

Hey John, you're not far from me, i'm in fredericksburg. Have you tried Jones chemicals? they're in ladysmith. $1.10 per gallon 100 gal min. there's also Dominion chemical and i believe they are close to you as well. they deliver to me 100 gal every 2 weeks and i think the cost is $1.30 per gal.

Two questions, one for Seymore and one for everyone, first for anyone, does Clorine have a shelf life like bleach does?

Seymore, where are you getting your Clorine?

Gav

Yes, pool chlorine has a shelf life. There's a thread on this board somewhere that Rod posted detailing tests that were done on pool chlorine's strength over time under varying conditions. It keeps for a good while, though I wouldn't keep it sitting around for months. Best to keep it in a dark area if you have to store it for very long.

Outlaw

You can call Bates Chemical Co. in Liberty.They will deliver to Tomball/Magnolia area.

I keep my bleach drums covered up and sometimes have to keep them around for a few months.I'm not sure how weak it can get over time cause i sure can't tell.