Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Refinishing my front door (what kind of wood is it?)

Not my area of expertise of course so I'm putting this in DIY section. Any of you guys do front door work (Dan, Jim, Rick?).

No idea what type of wood this is though....it may impact my procedure for restoration. It has really no knots at all and the grain appears very short (doesn't seem travel the whole length of the wood). Looks pretty yellow in spots I sanded it (last two pics).

post-2382-137772439044_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772439048_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772439051_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772439054_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772439057_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's mahogany.

I would suggest a Minwax finish. You'll need to clean the door, and sand at about 3 grits to work up to a furniture type finish. Stain it, then you have to clear coat is and scuff sand between coats.

Beth

Charlie,

I agree with Jim and Beth, definitely red mahogany.

Unless the door is completely protected from weather and direct sunlight, I would not use any urethane clear coat. These break down with UV exposure fairly quickly and are very difficult to strip. Better to go with what you know, ie: AC, and if prepped well, can look terrific. Also, a lot easier to service.

Picture is a Chilean cedar front door stripped of some water based clear coat(s) and stained with Ready Seal light brown, now known as light oak.

post-170-137772439097_thumb.jpg