Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Sandy

Question

WOW she's going to do some damage she's huge! Good luck to whoever lives on the East coast!

Rick P do you have enough Hineys and ice? Are you staying in Jersey or you getting out of town?

Hope everybody stays safe with no damage!

post-658-137772441466_thumb.jpg

20 answers to this question

I'm in south-central PA, everyone is expecting the worse. Generators were sold out early Thursday in ALL stores around here. There was a 200 person waiting list at the local Lowe's to get a generator if they got another shipment in. We had a lot of flooding last Fall. This looks to be just as bad or worse.

Some guy on Craigslist advertised generators. He said he had a trailer load he bought at Lowe's and will be selling them for $200-300 more than he paid. Unbelievable how someone can take advantage of people like that. I noticed today that his ads were flagged and a few were posting nasty things about him.

All bull and no horns. Folks up North are prepared for a hurricane about as much as Southerners are prepared for a foot of snow.

Y'all hunker down up there.

I'm in south-central PA, everyone is expecting the worse. Generators were sold out early Thursday in ALL stores around here. There was a 200 person waiting list at the local Lowe's to get a generator if they got another shipment in. We had a lot of flooding last Fall. This looks to be just as bad or worse.

Some guy on Craigslist advertised generators. He said he had a trailer load he bought at Lowe's and will be selling them for $200-300 more than he paid. Unbelievable how someone can take advantage of people like that. I noticed today that his ads were flagged and a few were posting nasty things about him.

I know they are vultures everywhere taking advantage of people and it's so sad. We see it every time we have a hurricane here on the gulf mostly it's after during the clean up! SMH

Where due to get slammed. We have 2-3 days left to finish that parking garage that is right in the line of fire right next to the water.So I took some machinery back today to get ready such as my generator,another generator thats used with a Powerwasher(will disconnect the pump if I need this generator. Also Grabbed a few sump pumps we had at the garage and numerous extension chords tools etc.

Oh yea also grabbed about 100' of water bags if I need to berm up my house from flood water getting in(you see I did learn something about berming things.

We also had a few cancelations already from our residential side and I have a gut feeling where not going to get them back this year. So that's money lost right there. Also we have another parking garage scheduled to do in 2-3 weeks and that one is for a Large apartment complex that is also right in the line of fire. They get hit I'm sure the garage gets canceled.

It's now the calm before the storm. Thankgod I didn't go on the PWNA 20th yr. cruise. Those guys are still at sea until Sunday(Tomorrow) and besides them having there island stops canceled because they have to stay out at sea to avoid the storm, some of them are going to find out that there return flights to anywhere around here is canceled until further notice.

All else fails-- Drink.....but try not to get sloshed(those dumb days are over)

Edited by John T

sounds like free market to me. Not his fault if someone didn't buy a generator in time, sounds like he is smart and planned ahead and will earn a few bucks because of it.

Hi John. I hope you & your family don't cop too much grief. Every now & again Mother Nature reminds who the boss really is. Bloody Woman! Stay safe.

I was by the ocean this morning dropping off a lift . it was low tide and water was over the beaches smacking the walls and starting to come over some of the road I was on. Ocean front properties are going to be devastated .

Wave height off Va Beach is 24' and off Del Bay 16' and the real force is not here yet. Pulled a few boats yesterday. Airborn in a 38' Ocean for a few seconds fun at first until landing then back really took a beating. Boat is high and dry now waiting for the wind. Projected hit right near Atlantic City/Ocean City NJ. Just what I needed.

sounds like free market to me. Not his fault if someone didn't buy a generator in time, sounds like he is smart and planned ahead and will earn a few bucks because of it.

bingo!!! Lowes probably pays $89.00 apiece for them.

The guy was smart to buy those generators and it's his right to make a buck. The thing with this is unless someone desperately needs to buy a generator for almost any cost because they need it to keep a breathing machine running for maybe there parent, child etc most people don't want to hear how someone is making a quick buck off of others desperation.

These are the same type of guys who went out to sell the American flags on sticks in the parking lots of stores right after we were hit by 9-11. Since it's a free society those type of people fall into the scum bag ranks. -Just sayin

I checked craigslist yesterday and people are asking double the cost for generators...lol. I was talking with my dad yesterday and was curious about what people do with their old ones that they bought last year. Do people eat them? This storm is bad and we are hours away from the worse of it. To me, some people over prepare (lady down the street had her whole car trunk full of gas tanks) and some dont prepare at all. Be smart and be safe all....

They have a convoy of dump trucks trying to get out of Ocean City NJ because they did not leave when they had a chance. Boats floating in the streets and into the marshes. Ocean met the bay at places. Not pretty like a summer sun day.