Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Cedar Fence Restoration Gray Away Special Blend 3

Question

It's been quiet here in the wood restoration forum so I thought I would add a little fence I worked on over the weekend.

The outside of the fence was stripped and brightened and the inside was cleaned and pressure washed.Total was around 375 Lft. using up about 15 gallons in just under 4 hrs to stain. I just love getting 165 sqft/gal on these old fences! :cool:

I really hate sprinklers not adjusted correctly to not hit the fence and cause damage to the soft cedar.The water has lot's of chlorine in it around here!

post-658-137772441515_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772441478_thumb.jpg

post-658-13777244149_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772441503_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Dude, I'm not even impressed anymore.

All's you do day after day, same thing, nothing new.......... just quality work.

Forgive me for not being impressed....... we all just expect this kind of work from you.

ok, I'll say it...... super work ( as always )

Hey Seymore,

If your doing an old fence with lots of dirt and grime on it, do you strip it instead of using precarb or bleach... even if there's no stain? The reason i'm asking is because i'm currently doing a fence that is in similar condition to the one you posted. I was using precarb, but there is still lots of soiled (darkened) spots on it, especially around the knots. If I put any more pressure on it, the wood will fur on me, and i'll have to spend a day dealing with that. Do you have any advice for me? Thanks.

Trevor

Hey Seymore,

If your doing an old fence with lots of dirt and grime on it, do you strip it instead of using precarb or bleach... even if there's no stain? The reason i'm asking is because i'm currently doing a fence that is in similar condition to the one you posted. I was using precarb, but there is still lots of soiled (darkened) spots on it, especially around the knots. If I put any more pressure on it, the wood will fur on me, and i'll have to spend a day dealing with that. Do you have any advice for me? Thanks.

Trevor

I'll add some stripper about a cup to a light bleach mixture wash/rinse real good and then brighten. I would rather minimize the use of stripper as much as possible as it will fur up on you more.Sometimes you can't stop the furring depending on the age of the wood it's just bound to happen.

It sounds like a bleach mixture make those black spots go away but it's hard to tell with out pics?

Alright,

Luckily I took some photos while I was on the job. These photos are after I washed with the precarb cleaner. I haven't used a brightener on it yet, and i don't plan on it until i'm fully satisfied.

post-11304-13777245628_thumb.jpg

post-11304-137772456322_thumb.jpg

Alright,

Luckily I took some photos while I was on the job. These photos are after I washed with the precarb cleaner. I haven't used a brightener on it yet, and i don't plan on it until i'm fully satisfied.

[ATTACH]20044[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20043[/ATTACH]

Yeah there is still some grey on it 1 part 12% 4 parts water some soap then pressure wash again then brighten.