Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

HD-80 reviews... read for yourself! :)

Skeptical? Check these quotes out.

I have used basically 3 strippers.

Deckstrip wolmans---- so, so

Remove from Sunbrite-- good product

HD80- Extreme Solutions, Russ Cissell, unreal. will strip anything, your skin, paint, grass, bushes. Be very careful with this stuff, but honestly, haven't found anything it won't take off. And really apply the brightner afterwards.

Reed

Best stripper on the market IMO. Beth sells it, www.thegrimescene.com. I always used it until I started making my own, but it doesn't work quite as good as hd80. You'll like the powder form,

jon

HD 80 results on Sikkens

Stripped a 300 s/f deck last night that had cedar toned Sikkens on it. In some places the stain turned really dark....almost black. I forewarned the customer that Sikkens is usually tough to remove, and might not all come off without sanding. Well, he didn't want to go the sanding route, and said he would be happy with whatever I could remove.

I broke out the HD80, mixed it at 8oz per gallon, and liberally sprayed down the deck and railings. I let it dwell for about 15-20 minutes, keeping it wetted down with additional product.

I could hardly believe the results...... At least 90% of the Sikkens came off! Now I have to admit, I had to use more pressure than I normally use, and the wood furred up a little, but I could hardly believe how well the HD80 works.

Now I am in no way being compensated for saying this, I'm just reporting the results as the product worked for me.

I will never be without HD80 on my truck again. I keep three different strippers on hand, and each has it's own particular use, but HD80 rocks on Sikkens, and as I reported before, on CWF-UV.

Previously I would have likely have not taken on the job. Now I have a product that seems to work on just about everything. And I'll tell you, premium $$$ can be charged for these services, and the best thing is that the HD80 mixes up for under $3 a gallon!

It cost me about ten bucks to strip a 300 s/f deck. Talk about a profit margin.....

Tony C.

A-Plus Power Washing

Riverview, MI.

"You can't get better than A+"

I'll probably need to order more HD80 at some time, and when I do, I will give you a call.

Prior to this season, I was using Wolmans Deck Strip as my heavy duty stripper. It worked most of the time, but I was never satisfied with CWF or Sikkens removal. HD80 rocked on both of these finishes.

Deckman....phone Beth to order the HD80, you won't be sorry.

Tony C.

HD80 Results on CWF-UV

I just stripped a 450 sf deck with lots of lattice yesterday. It had two coats of CWF-UV, and was pretty nasty.

I mixed up a batch of HD-80, mixed at 8oz per gallon of water. I sprayed it on with a pump sprayer, and let it dwell about 10 minutes. It was about 60 degrees out.

I was shocked to find that the CWF litterly melted off the surface!

I think the mix was a little hot for the railings, because I did get some furring on them.

Never-the-less, I would highly recommend HD80, because I have never used a product that removed CWF so fast, and complete.

Granted it is kind of a hassle to make up the mixes, and I did have a little problem with incomplete dissolving of the crystals. A couple times my sprayer tip plugged up, and I had to unscrew the end, and tap out the clog. A small price to pay for such fabulous results.

HD 80 will always be in my trailer from now on. Sure, I'll use other strippers on certain occasions (lighter duty), but it is nice to know I have a product that will probably work on everything. No more struggling with 3-4 applications of Wolmans anymore.

Thumbs UP !!

Tony C.

A-Plus Power Washing

Riverview, MI.

"You can't get better than A+"

Thanks Beth!! HD-80 Rocks!!

Guys,

I am not one to gush over new products, but HD-80 is really super stuff. I did a strip job with it today and it took less than half the time it would have taken using other chemicals. Exercise caution, though, because the stuff will give you some wicked burns. Thanks again Beth.

Warren Smathers

Beth,

You sure sold me... I stripped behr coated a fence today with your fine products and I was totally impressed to say the least. The customer was so impressed at the fence job he booked me to strip his deck next week.:)

John, Long Island Powerwash

Tough gum spots I use HD-80 and then put oxalic acid on the concrete (whitens the concrete).

HD-80 also works well on getting the oil from a asphalt parking lot off concrete.

Tough chemical - use with care.

TIDALWAVE

"Exterior Pressure Restoration & Sealant"

Response to RonMus,

You asked a couple posts back if Steve's info was correct, does this mean that hd80 is not a good product??

The only thing Steve was testing was the amount of Naoh in the two products, and that will not make or break a product. For instance, if i mix 8oz. of HD80 to one gallon of water, and I also mix 16oz. of straight Naoh to one gallon of water, Russ's product will run circles around the straight Naoh. Basically, it takes more than Naoh concentrations to make a product work well.

As far as whether or not it works well, I'll just say this: I have no need to try other products. HD80 works all the time, every time. For me to even consider using another product, it would have to work as well and cost considerably less. I don't think it would be possible for a product to work better than hd80, because it always works. And it works fast. And it works cheap. And it is packaged efficiently. After all, you can only strip something so good.

jon

Jon Fife

Nashville,TN

Something else to know about hd 80, it worked very well for me this past March when the temperature was in the 40's. Just doubled the dwell time and I had no problems.

Hd80 works and works well at different strengths too.

Reed

Stripped a deck with it today in the pouring rain. Worked like a charm. It wasn't a terribly difficult finish to remove in the first place, but it's nice to have a product that you can kick up a notch when necessary.

Mike Hughes

Everclear

Souderton, PA

Ditto on the HD-80. It's about the only thing that will remove CWF-UV also. I live real close to Russ and will use his stripper next season. I like the EFC-38 cleaner also. It will take off failed sealer and leave an intact sealer alone. This is beneficial when cleaning solid stained decks. It tells you where the weak spots are.

Reed

I've only been in the business for a short time but finally did my first deck today. In fact I went to see Russ last Friday to pick up the HD80 and his brightener, hell of a nice guy, and extremely knowledgable. Reed - I live about an hour east, across the river. Beth - It was mostly because of all your input that I thought I would try it.

This morning before I left my shop I went ahead and mixed the chemicals. While mixing I'm thinking to myself, NO WAY! This stuff can't possibly remove anything.

My son and I get to the job and mask averything off. I have questions there but in another post. I sprayed the HD80 on with a pump up sprayer. It was a relitively small deck, 12X12, stained with CWF-UF when new 3 years ago and with another coat applied several weeks ago. It looked terrible! After about 10 to 15 minutes the deck looked the same only wet. As I walked on it to start washing I thought I was on ice. The old sealer looked like liquid rubber under my boots. I thought Oh No, what a mess! I'm here to tell you, every bit of it came off and when applying Russ' brightener my son said he could see the difference while I was applying it. The homeowner now thinks I'm a hero.

Thanks a million to Russ, Beth, and Reed.

Bob Warfield

Restoration Specialties

Beth:cool:

Beth I am just curious if you guys had tried the RPC 113 Roof Magic yet and if so what the results were. I am curious to see what you think of the product as I saw no difference in the HD-80 and the RPC-113 the only difference that I saw was the price and that the RPC-113 made more gallons for the money. I thought that both products performed great during our testing at the house will try to post a picture for everyone to see. The area on the right is the HD-80 and the area on the left was the RPC-113. In the picture the steps were the middle and were not done at that time that is what im doing in the picture finishing the deck. If you notice in the picture I am downstreaming the RPC-113 I think it is about 10 to 1 it took me 1.5 hrs to do the entire decks. One deck is 16x24 and one is 8x8 with lattice and hand rails around it all.

Hi Morgan,

We have not had the opportunity to try it yet. The season hit and we have been going 7 days straight per week here. Rest assured that when we do we will let everyone know.

You can also be assured that it will be a very tough test, like we put HD-80 through all the time.

5 coats Sikkens Cetol Dek

2 CWF

2 Wolman Extreme

etc

etc

etc

We already know how the HD-80 will respond. ;) For those who have not seen this photo (Morgan's), it's a deck that had 2 to 3 year old Wolman F&P. Piece of cake for many strippers.

EFC-38 would also have done this job, and of course is gentler on wood than products with Sodium Hydroxide. The right tool for the right job.

Beth

Beth it was 2 yr old Wolmans F & P. I can tell you this I downstreamed the RPC 113 mixed at 10 to 1 and used 500psi. I have recently heard of a guy that bought some and used a garden hose to rinse it off and said it look great. I am not going to go round and round with you on products just stating facts. I can also tell you that I had no fuzzies at all not one. If I am going to strip wood I am going to use the best chemical and dilute it. That is why I mixed the RPC 113 so weak because it didnt need a strong solution. I am going to X-Jet or Downstream my chemical on the deck and let it dwell and rinse it clean. I prefer liquid chems to powders for my chemical arsenal.

Originally posted by ParadiseProWash

I would have Steven overnight the product and have it the next morning. When it comes to customer service I have not dealt with anyone who is better than Steven Rowlett .

I have not ordered products from Steve or Beth, but am sure that they are both top notch. Most companies will overnight their product, if you ask.

I know you sell Russels products and thats great however their are other products out their that cost and perform just as well as theirs. I think you will agree with that

I think that we all agree that their are similar products with similar prices out there. I would like to know exactly what are you getting at????

I have not ordered products from Steve or Beth, but am sure that they are both top notch. Most companies will overnight their product, if you ask.

OTP I have not ordered from Beth but I have from Steven and have talked with him serveral times. I am sure if I needed something and didnt get in till say 10:00 PM and I called him at that time and told him that I had to have that product the next morning he would do his best to get the product to me even if it meant he had to drive it to the airport himself that is just the kind of guy Steven is.

Well, when I try one that works as well, I'll let you know. I can tell you this. I have heard some very good things about a number of products. I have also heard some very unpleasant things about a number of products. No need to go into which products. They are the ones that we all agree are far overpriced in those gallon jugs! Know what I mean? Rod has spent alot of time and money on jobs trying various things. This one he feels very strongly about. Will he ever feel that way about another? Who knows.

I will say this... there are very few people who know wood like Russell Cissell does, very few. He's an incredible source of knowledge. We can honestly say that had it not been for meeting Russell year one, we might not be here now. No one gives better customer service, no one stands behind product like he does, and when he makes a promise, he keeps it no matter what. He's pure platinum.

When we test Steve's product we'll let you know what we find. We'll be testing it the way we would HD-80. With the same type of application and grueling challenges. Oh, HD-80 strips paint too....

I'm glad you like Steve. I'm glad you like his products and I'm glad they work for you. I'm sorry you seem unwilling to try HD-80. Good luck on your decks.

By the way, I posted the Wood Tux picture for you.

Beth

p.s. FYI... it's not the amount of sodium hydroxide that makes the product what it is....it doesn't matter if it has more at all. There are other ingredients that, combined, make it work. That's all I can tell you. Single chems themselves are not the answer.

Morgan,

I have spoken to people at 12:30 am when they call... what's your point? I talk to people 7 days a week.

FYI... you are not allowed to overnight HAZMAT materials. It's a Bozo NO-NO. Steve should never do it. No one should.

Beth;)

I have spoken to people at 12:30 am when they call... what's your point? I talk to people 7 days a week.

Beth I really didnt have a point just pointing it out it was not aimed at anyone.

FYI... you are not allowed to overnight HAZMAT materials. It's a Bozo NO-NO. Steve should never do it. No one should.

I dont know I have never needed to do this I was just rattling.

Russell drove 15 hours to get here for our demo day. Fifteen hours straight thru to get the sample of Wood Tux he had promise us here on time. Why? You can't put it in the air. He made a promise, and he kept it. He couldn't overnight it... HAZMAT. He took time to talk to folks and answer questions and everyone was very greatful he had made the trip. He went WAY above and beyond. He spoke about the company, the products, things that can be expected in the future, and he demoed with us and we played with the sealer. THat was the day we tried it on wet wood. I can't think of any other manufacturer that would risk trying something so bold in front of customers. He knows chemistry, wood, and his products just plain rock.

Beth

p.s. if you don't know and are just posting things, you might want to check to make sure you are not putting Steve in a compromising position when you post. You wouldn't want anyone thinking he would knowingly put HAZMAT in the air or anything like that...

p.s. if you don't know and are just posting things, you might want to check to make sure you are not putting Steve in a compromising position when you post. You wouldn't want anyone thinking he would knowingly put HAZMAT in the air or anything like that...

Beth I am not a distributor so I dont know all the laws about the Hazmat however my brother in law works for Fed Ex as a ramp agent and he told me they ship Hazmat things in the air all the time it just has to be properly labled with a MSDS sheet attached in plain veiw on the container.

By the way, I posted the Wood Tux picture for you.

Were Beth I cant find it and have not seen it yet I would love to see it.

Also would like to say I have nothing against the HD-80 my dislike of the product is that it is a powder and you have to mix I prefer liquid its just my preference notice the word MY. I would think that is why their are Chevys, Fords, and Dodges, and so on and so on so that people can make a choice if I buy a Chevy does that mean that I dont like a Ford heck no I like them but at the time that would be MY choice. I am not trying to start any arguments I just want to clear the air on that now. I like Beth and Rod I have never met them but from what I read they seem like good honest people. I am not here to argue and start arguments but am here to learn and teach also some others may dislike powder as well and might be looking for a good liquid that works as well as the HD-80. If I have rattled any chains then forgive me for having an opion and voiceing it.

Wood Tux shipped yesterday. Last season it was put on wood, and held up beautifully. It's awesome stuff.

It has an amazing formula, and a beautiful look.

Here's the link to the thread with the picture.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1851#post1851

Beth;)

If for no other reason, I like HD-80 over other products because it is in powder form.

I would rather mix it up with water on the jobsite, rather than lug around the extra weight of something in liquid form.

Plus, anybody who's been doing this awhile knows how spills can happen inside your rig, it just does every so often. It's easier to sweep up a powder than deal with a liquid spill.

A plus I have been doing this for 5 yrs and have never had a spill in or on my trailer. I dont mix things on my trailer and use funnels to avoid spills. Now Im not saying Ive never spilled just not on my trailer. Some people like Apples and some like Oranges no big deal just dont knock me for likeing something that you dont. I prefer liquid I dont like the powder stuff blowing in the wind and since this yr I went from an Enclosed trailer to an open trailer for convience to my operation the liquid is what works best for me.

Next week, we will have 34 pails of Wood Tux here, all ready to go onto decks, fences, playsets and the like.

Once we get the shipment we can fill the little bottles and send them. Everyone gets three colors, with the little pieces of wood, the cleaners, etc. The kit is really nice, and we have had fun putting them together. :) I'll put up a photo of a finished kit before they ship.

I bought a new cedar mailbox and when I got home I coated that in Wood Tux. I have already told Rod the planters and swing on the deck need cleaning so I can seal them with Wood Tux too. (not to mention the deck)

Beth

Morgan,

Where in my post did I knock you for the products you like? Or that I mix anything in my trailer?

The spills inside have occured from caps not being threaded on tight enough, or something shifting around, or what not. Once I had a hold down strap break that holds down one of the powerwashers, and it tipped over, puncturing a gallon of liquid oxalic. What a mess.

All I was doing is stating MY preference for mixing dry chems at each jobsite, that's all.

Everyone has ways they prefer to do things, and it's not for me to say which is right, and which is wrong.

Good luck with however you choose to do things.

Hands down that I would rather have a stripper and other chemicals in a powder form. Reason is very simple. You can store alot more of the chemical in powder form in your trailer. ALOT more!!! Also you can mix what you need at the jobsite and not worry about lugging around the Liquid form out of your trailer all the time.

Liquid form chemicals take up a TON of space and most of the Liquid in all chemicals is water anyway.. Why waste space carrying around water for these chemicals when you can just get the water at the jobsite.

To me it makes perfect sense to have chemicals in a powder form.

One more thing, when you buy most chemicals in a liquid form you are over paying big time because you are paying for the water that they put into the mix and its dollars to cents when you have your chemical in Powder form. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT.

But as they say....Whatever Floats your Boat.

Aplus I was not saying that you were knocking me I was saying not to thats all. No harm done just a little misunderstanding thats all.

John I use Stevens chemicals in liquid form and they are super concentrated I can tell you this because we tested them with a refrator meter. We tested the HD-80 mixed at full strenghth per their specs and we tested the RPC 113 at full strengh. The RPC 113 was quite a few numbers on the refractor meter higher than the HD-80 mixed at full strenghth per their specs. What does the test prove well it proves that the chemical make up is heavier or more chemical all together. Not meaning just one chemical but all in the mix. I dont lug chemical containers around any more than you. If you like mixing powders blowing around in the wind good for you but I think I would use a respirator to do it to keep the dust from the powder entering my lungs. Be safe not sorry. I dont like mixing anything in powdered form if Im not in a controlled enviroment meaning my shop. As for the space issue if you are so crowder that you need powder for everything maybe you need a bigger trailer. I dont have a ton of space but everything on my trailer has its place all my extra chemicals stays at the shop in 55 gallon plastic drums where it belongs. If you are carring over 1000 lbs of chemcial on you trailer you have to have a triangle for DOT to see like the big trucks. Meaning no more than 121 gallons I believe. I know this is true in TN I dont know about other states. John what other chemicals do you carry that are powder that you mix on the site besides stripper and Acid to Nuetrilize with.

Not only is it important to wear a respirator while mixing dry chems, it is equally important to wear a respirator while spraying the chems in any fashion. And also use goggles and gloves. Many chems, such as oxalic, are absorbed thru the skin.

It's not just the overspray, but what if a component failed, and the raw chems sprayed you in the face? Could you find something to rinse your eyes out if your eyes are closed? I usually keep a filled bucket of water nearby for emergencies. I also have eye wash stations attached inside both my trailers.

Regardless of whether chems are liquid or dry, no matter how they are applied, NO MATTER WHAT.....everybody who reads this, please use all appropriate safety gear each and every time you work with the chems.

I would like to see discussions on all the BBS's regarding the safe handling of chems. I usually notice that many are quick to recommend to newbies what chems to use, but they usually fail to mention using safe handling practices.

Tony I agree with you 100 percent saftey is the key. Mixing of chems is very dangerous to your health. The reason I like the liquid so much is that its already dangerous enough and with powders I have to factor in the wind. I would rather do this mixing at the shop were I have no wind blowing and still I wear the proper gear such as chemical gloves, saftey shield, Cover alls, rubber boots, respriator and Long pants not shorts. As is stated SAFTEY SAFTEY SAFTEY. Somebody somewhere is going to get hurt if the SAFTEY part is not pushed more than it already is.

Powder or liquid, safety should always be the number one priorty when mixing and using chemicals. Having an MSDS is one thing, but actually reading and understanding itis even more important. If for some reason you did get something in your eyes, reading the msds after the fact is a little bit to late.

Tony, Glad to see that you have eye wash stations in both your trailers, I plan to add one very soon.

Continued in next thread due to length.

Morgan,

As far as the 1000 lbs or 121 gallons, being carried on a trailer. I am sure very few do this, as it would take up alot of room and they best have some very large structures to wash. You say that Tony should get a bigger trailer if he needs more room, I take that as a knocking for his preference over powder to save room, and add an extra bit of safety to his storage technique.

Powders are more economical, safer for transport and storage, more satble and less prone to breakdown of substances and if needed, are easier to clean up if there was an accidental spill. Now Morgan, as you said, you have not had any spills, well they do happen and sometimes at the worst possible time, are you ready for a liquid cleanup?? Do you have POWDERS that absorb and contain Liquid chemical spills to provide for a safe and fast cleanup?

We all have our preferences on what we like and why we like them, but when you first replied to this post, it sure did seem like a bashing of products for multiple reasons. You said later that you did not mean any harm, but then it continued. If for some reason you hear that a product is delayed, be ready to post where you heard or saw it in detail so when people would like to look into it they can.