Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Bandarovich

Burner fuel pump troubleshooting.

Yesterday my burner sounded wierd. Like if it was chocking and water would be hot and then warm and then hot again. Tonight I turned it on and heat kicked in for 5 seconds and stopped at all. I opened pressure switch and manually pressed on the knob to activate it. Nothing. I changed element in my racor diesel filter (was due anyways). Nothing. I noticed that there is no fuel bubbles in the filter bowl which typically there is some motion. I drained the bowl and when started the machine I noticed that the bowl was filling up very slow. I didn't have voltmeter so could not check voltage at solenoid. It's a 110v burner plugged directly into wall outlet. I unscrewed small plug on the fuel pump that is used to release trapped air - fuel was coming out of it. Tightened it back up. So no, it not air bubble in diesel. Last thing I did I unscrewed copper fuel line from the burner that comes out of the fuel pump, squeezed the trigger and there was no fuel coming out of the copper tube. Is it safe to say my fuel pump is dead or there are additional steps/checks I should be making?

Yesterday my burner sounded wierd. Like if it was chocking and water would be hot and then warm and then hot again. Tonight I turned it on and heat kicked in for 5 seconds and stopped at all. I opened pressure switch and manually pressed on the knob to activate it. Nothing. I changed element in my racor diesel filter (was due anyways). Nothing. I noticed that there is no fuel bubbles in the filter bowl which typically there is some motion. I drained the bowl and when started the machine I noticed that the bowl was filling up very slow. I didn't have voltmeter so could not check voltage at solenoid. It's a 110v burner plugged directly into wall outlet. I unscrewed small plug on the fuel pump that is used to release trapped air - fuel was coming out of it. Tightened it back up. So no, it not air bubble in diesel. Last thing I did I unscrewed copper fuel line from the burner that comes out of the fuel pump, squeezed the trigger and there was no fuel coming out of the copper tube. Is it safe to say my fuel pump is dead or there are additional steps/checks I should be making?

You never said anything about checking the thermostat.

I poked around the web and came across websites like home heating.net and others. I found out that there is a screen inside the pump. I opened it and took out the screen and to say that it was plugged wouldn't even begin to describe it. You couldn't tell it was a screen. I cleaned it to new condition and put it back. Whenever I get a chance I will test to see if that fixed it.

Yep, she fired up like the day I got it.

(Note to self, add fuel pump strainer cleaning to the annual maintenance list).

You have a link to where the screen is? thats really good info....

Doug, I will squeeze another 2 years from this one and it goes into retirement. It will have 3000-4000 hours on it then.

Alexy,

the screen is 50% of the fuel pump - it's not little. Put a drip tray under fuel pump. Using Allen wrench take out four bolts on the front of the fuel pump (where the label is), pull the cover off (watch the gasket) and the screen will be right there. I soaked it in caustic degreaser and then sprayed hot water from the inside out. Dried with air compressor. Put it back, turn it on, open bleed out valve and wait for steady stream, close it and that's it.

Doug, I will squeeze another 2 years from this one and it goes into retirement. It will have 3000-4000 hours on it then.

Alexy,

the screen is 50% of the fuel pump - it's not little. Put a drip tray under fuel pump. Using Allen wrench take out four bolts on the front of the fuel pump (where the label is), pull the cover off (watch the gasket) and the screen will be right there. I soaked it in caustic degreaser and then sprayed hot water from the inside out. Dried with air compressor. Put it back, turn it on, open bleed out valve and wait for steady stream, close it and that's it.

Awesome,

Thank you I have 2 that came off dead machines so I can play without effecting a working machine.

Funny this popped up last night guys called said the burner was going on and off and the machine had pressure issues. I asked if the flow was good and they were not sure. Sure enought hey took the water filter off the intake line and it was full of what looked like ciffe grounds but were iron chunks from the water lines we hook up to. Put it back together and ran like a champ.