Sign in to follow this  
Jason Reider

What would you suggest?

Question

I've been thinking about buying a Deckster to use this year, but am looking at other less expensive alternatives.

Will the pump in this link work just as well? Hand Carry Chemical Applicator #5500

It's just hard for me to pay the price tag for the Deckster if I can find something similar for 1/3 of the cost. What would you experienced wood professionals suggest? Maybe a "pump in a bucket" would work just as good.

12 answers to this question

I've been thinking about buying a Deckster to use this year, but am looking at other less expensive alternatives.

Will the pump in this link work just as well? Hand Carry Chemical Applicator #5500

It's just hard for me to pay the price tag for the Deckster if I can find something similar for 1/3 of the cost. What would you experienced wood professionals suggest? Maybe a "pump in a bucket" would work just as good.

Jason,

Shoot me an email and I can tell you about the homemade chemical sprayer setup I have.

scott@scottshomeserviceskc.com

This is what I use 1.8gpm and 60 psi and works great for staining and cleaning....You could use a bigger pump/hose for cleaning but sometimes I like not having all the over spray.

post-658-137772444476_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772444443_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772444455_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772444462_thumb.jpg

This is what I use 1.8gpm and 60 psi and works great for staining and cleaning....You could use a bigger pump/hose for cleaning but sometimes I like not having all the over spray.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19500[/ATTACH]

What size tip/nozzle do you use on that Shane, and is that a 5ft lance?

Edited by Jason Reider

What size tip/nozzle do you use on that Shane, and is that a 5ft lance?

This one is a 4' and this tip for staining is a tee-jet 6502 and I use tee jet 6505 for cleaning. I get all these parts from Texas Wood Products when I order stain.

You can find them also at

Dultmeier Sales | 2013 Industrial Equipment & Supplies Catalog

You can check out a few different catalogs for equipment

I have had my deckster for 11 years and have never had a problem. I never clean it out, about 3 times a year i take the filter off when it clogs and clean it. I know you can make one but I would buy another deckster in a minute.

I have had my deckster for 11 years and have never had a problem. I never clean it out, about 3 times a year i take the filter off when it clogs and clean it. I know you can make one but I would buy another deckster in a minute.

Besides getting new hoses & guns because like anything else they can wear or break we pretty much do the same as Jack above. Decksters pay themselves back over and over again. Whatever you do get rid of any pump sprayer you have unless your spot spraying something like oil spots on concrete.

Besides getting new hoses & guns because like anything else they can wear or break we pretty much do the same as Jack above. Decksters pay themselves back over and over again. Whatever you do get rid of any pump sprayer you have unless your spot spraying something like oil spots on concrete.

+1 on that John.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19500[/ATTACH]

I have used one of Shanes rigs, and I can tell you it kicks azz.

Of course I have "Deckster" running through my veins, but, his brand is

an incredible idea.

I've been thinking about buying a Deckster to use this year, but am looking at other less expensive alternatives. ...

Jason,

Depends on what you are applying.

The Deckster is a veritable godsend for applying stain. Pressure setting, volume adjustment and spray pattern on the gun, filtering, etc. make it a workhorse for attaching a 5'er to it and just go like gangbusters.

Chemical applications are a bit overkill and not needed. IMO, the Deckster is a must have for stain, but less so for chem applications. Reason being, you can only mix at max, without killing grass, plants, etc., 4 gallons to apply at once before remixing and fill up. It does not have a tank.

The real ticket would be a Pumptec pump and plumbing fitted out with a large, portable tank for chem applications. As bleach and strippers are trashing my Shurflo pumps every season, this is the next upgrade I'm considering.