Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Bandarovich

Overhauling pressure washer

I was looking at my Hotsy 1075BE the other day. 2009, 1855hrs on the meter but meter stopped working some time ago so I'd say more like 2500hrs. It runs good, heats water well just looks like !!!!. Red paint on frame peeled off and frame is rusting, coil wrap red paint bubbled up and fell off, coil cap rusted. I thought it may be time to replace it with a new one. Typically units I buy these days go $6000-7500. I tried many brands and believe that Alkota or Hydrotek are the brands I am sticking to.

Then I stopped I thought, why spend 7500$ if this one still runs well? I replaced 12v burner on it to 110v, I recently spent 600$ on replacing half of aluminum case and governor on the gx390 engine, pump has new seals. The thing has original pressure switch! Yes, some things will go on it since it has some age but if I keep parts on hand I can minimize downtime. What are we talking about? 500$ coil? 500$ pump? 1000$ engine that can be bought rebuilt for 300$ on craigslist? still far less than 7500$. Warranty? Please, i never had machine break down during warranty period. So what about overhauling it?

Here are some ideas I had:

Strip machine of all parts, sand blast the frame and either spray it with Rhino liner or paint with that outer space amazing paint called POR-15(por15.com).

Another idea, take the frame to a fabricating shop and have them copy it in stainless steel?

Hotsy sells stainless coil wrap for my machine as an upgrade but I am sure fabricator can roll me one for half price.

Coil cap - duplicate in stainless.

When reassembling maybe change safety things like pressure reliefs.