Sign in to follow this  
John.Harper

Shutters Bleeding on Stucco

Question

post-8357-137772448901_thumb.jpgI'm bidding a job for a stucco housewash and the shutters are bleeding onto the stucco causing a red stain. Has anyone ever cleaned this without pressure? I dont want to step into this until i know what im getting into.

post-8357-137772448895_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

This is usually caused by the shutters being oxidized. The loose pigment is bleeding onto the stucco. We have cleaned this many times on vinyl homes but never a stucco homes.

Why are 1st floor shutters a different color than 2nd floor?

Those are bad . Tell them to replace the shutters.. Check to make sure it's not drivit. That type of stain is tricky depending on the surface. Go with a bag of tricks to sample removal.

Actually I have ran across this before. Believe or not, the red cleaned off the siding very easily. Do a test area, it should clean pretty easy. Let the homeowner know that he will need to paint or replace the shutters. Prewet the stucco, use standard housewash mix. Feel free to call me with questions 607 435 5539 cell

Why are 1st floor shutters a different color than 2nd floor?

The Sun, and the angle it falls on the house ?????????????

Chances are it will bleed after the cleaning too.

Like Matt said as well. The EIFS is just grabbing the run off.

Fatten up the mix if need be. It'll come off.

Edited by Adrian

Actually I have ran across this before. Believe or not, the red cleaned off the siding very easily. Do a test area, it should clean pretty easy. Let the homeowner know that he will need to paint or replace the shutters. Prewet the stucco, use standard housewash mix. Feel free to call me with questions 607 435 5539 cell

If needed you can subsitute your housewash soap with Gutter Shock in the mix.

Edited by Chemical Doctor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19773[/ATTACH]I'm bidding a job for a stucco housewash and the shutters are bleeding onto the stucco causing a red stain. Has anyone ever cleaned this without pressure? I dont want to step into this until i know what im getting into.

I've had success with potassium hydroxide on shutter bleeding.....

They should probably replace those shutters b/c it wont be long before that red starts to run again.

I agree replace the shutters.It looks like they painted them with some funky paint.