Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Gloss or Flat Black (Painting Trailer)

For those of you who have your trailer painted black, which do you prefer........gloss, semi-gloss, or flat black paint? I sprayed a little semi gloss on part of one of my trailers and it looks really glossy. I'm thinking about flat black paint instead of gloss. What do you use?

I would want some shine....that's just me.

Pics of samples?

Beth

Yeah, a little shine was what I was shooting for with the semi-gloss but it kinda looked super glosssy when I did a test spot on my trailer. But maybe that's because the shiny spot is surrounded by the old ugly oxidized paint on the rest of the trailer.

My trailer is too ugly to post picks of right now. LOL

I'm just gonna spray some black paint on the rails and tongue for right now since it's the busy season. Maybe come Winter I can strip the trailer down and do a really nice paint job on it. I may even paint it blue since that's my company color.

I find the glossier the paint the stronger it is. I use semi gloss black.

I think I'll stay with the semi gloss black paint. And it'll probably end up being flat black after a few years anyway.

I just painted my trailer with Rust-Oleum 7779 Gloss Black. Looks Great! Put some new wood on it too, getting ready for this season. It is oil based enamel and I apply it with a 4" super fine foam roller. The foam roller kinda gives it a smoother, powder-coat type" finish.[ATTACH]20026[/ATTACH]

Jon Bennett

Bennett Exterior

Maize, KS

post-11282-137772456064_thumb.jpg

I just painted my trailer with Rust-Oleum 7779 Gloss Black. Looks Great! Put some new wood on it too, getting ready for this season. It is oil based enamel and I apply it with a 4" super fine foam roller. The foam roller kinda gives it a smoother, powder-coat type" finish.[ATTACH]20026[/ATTACH]

Jon Bennett

Bennett Exterior

Maize, KS

That trailer looks brand new! Good work!

Thanks Rick! It is amazing how you can find a Craigslist deal, throw some paint and wood at it, and have a nice trailer! Just have to put a little elbow grease into it! Here is the before...[ATTACH]20030[/ATTACH]

Jon Bennett

Bennett Exterior

Maize, KS

post-11282-137772456125_thumb.jpg

I use glossy oil base Rustoleum on my flatbeds and also white gloss on my truck wheels which still looks really good after 3 yrs. Glossy looks newer, last longer and cleans up better in my opinion.

A coating is only as good as its prep..

before a paint.. sandblast or phosphatize, (or both,) and prime.

before a powdercoating.. sandblast and prime,

..and test it for chipping to prove the process.

Edited by Jerry
sp.

We use to paint the trailers back when i started my business, only to find out that they rust or the paint will not hold up to the detergent that we use. The degreaser's we use attacks petroleum base paints, thus softens the paint. Its like using paint remover.

So since the 2000's, we powder coat our trailers to 8 to 14 mil thick.

Now some who love a petroleum base paint may disagree with me on this, but the worse powder coat treatment is better then the best paint job, both in chemical resistance and for longevity. The problem is that if it chips, it is hard to match.