Sign in to follow this  
C2damofoj

Remote fuel tank

any idea what is necessary to run a Honda GX-390 from a remote fuel tank? I want pw's and generator to run off of the same tank. I am unsure of what type of fuel pump I need, inlet pressures, etc. My trailer has 12v wiring. should I leave the tank bolted on or take it off? Thanks.

To answer my own question, all you have to do is install the fuel pump, tee off of the main fuel line to each engine, and run the main fuel line back to your fuel tank.  This way there is no buildup of pressure between the time you energize the fuel pump and the time you start your pw.  The engines draw only what fuel they need from a constantly flowing source.  I run a gx-630 that has its own fuel pump on this rig, I wondered if having 2 fuel pumps would be a problem but she runs fine too.  Hope this helps someone!

The fuel return line is what makes it all possible.  If you run a fuel line from an electric pump straight to a gx390, fuel will push past the needle in the carb and flood it out.  Having the return line keeps the fuel pressure at the carb at a very low level.  Not sure if this is true for every motor, but it works on a 390 and a 11 hp Generac.

I knew of a guy in Boise who tapped off of his vehicle tank.  He tee'd off the fuel line, installed an electric pump and pipe the fuel to the fuel tank of the PW.  He had a pushbutton non-latching switch that operated the fuel pump. 

So to run gx390 from remote tank I ll need to use fuel pump from let's say gx630, connect it to the battery and put a switch for turning it on. The turn it on before I start the engine. Is there a 12 v hook up on the engine that can power up the fuel pump when you turn the key? I have electric start engine.

I do not think you can run a external tank to a GX390. If your PW engine has  it's own fuel pump you can run a line down to your fuel tank and on E series fords use the overflow line that comes up next to the fuel filler line to run a flexible line down into the gas tank as a pick up .

You can hook up any unit to your tank. No differnt then my old RVs generator to the tank. Simple in line fuel pump low pressure auto cut off. Here is an example of one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AIRTEX-FUEL-PUMP-replacement-for-ONAN-GENERATOR-OE-149-2331-02-/221359004081.

Anything can be done if you want it done, dont think to much most likly its been done before.

Marko