Sign in to follow this  
John T

Took a beating on a gutter clean & Flush job.

Question

Where in the middle of doing a night work month long town job that is all flatwork. Because of that it leaves us only Fr. & Sa. To catch up on our other work.

Last Friday we did a Condo complex gutter clean out job. I have the same 5 guys that I'm using for this town job to do this job as well. There were tons of gutters and the pay Was $3500. We've done this Condo in the past but it's usually done once a yr. This time we haven't done it in over 2 yrs.

So now the problem. Between 2 hurricanes that came thru our area since it was last cleaned (Irene & Sandy) and all the rain we were having here you would think that maybe they would be cleared out some... But noooooooooo.

Some of these gutters were growing small trees out of them and the gunk build up in all of them were at the top.

Total disaster. Since I just raised there price 10% from the last time we did it and I never went there to check on there condition this is where you can get a beating like I did for not looking at the job first.

End result--- 2 days of 12 hrs each(including traveling) for 5 guys to clean these gutters. When tax time rolls around I'll be lucky if I break even on this job.

Can't win them all. This one I sure didn't.

6 answers to this question

I live in the land of snowbirds. They don't even think of their gutters until they get here in Oct-Nov. Then anything goes! trees,rats,roaches(BIG ONES). Yay, October is right around the corner!   Although the trees don't bother me....usually when you pull them out it takes about 5 linear feet of debris with it.

Friggin' RATS in gutters?  Glad we stuck with only exterior wood services.

Yeah the fruit tree rats or whatever they are.They are also called roof rats and are about a foot long.

We never worry about finding rats in gutters. The black snakes that we've found in gutters probably chase the rats out.

... They are also called roof rats and are about a foot long.

Snakes I can deal with, but foot long rats?  I'd be packing a 12 gauge.  Then again, blasting gutters is a bit more intense than cleaning them.  Home owners might get a bit perturbed.

How about a Maine Coon Skin cat?  Those ferocious felines will kill or scare away anything less than a cougar.  Ask Beth!